I'm anaemic and need help finding a sustainable diet!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    what is the underlying cause of your anemia? Blood loss?
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have anemia problems too. In addition to red meat and greens I also eat fortified foods. Stuff like Luna Bars and breakfast cereal have a lot of iron added to them. ( I know you are trying to go low carb but some of those Luna bars have 30% of your daily iron.)

Coffee deters absorption. When my anemia is bad I have to totally cut it out.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Cheerios-Honey-Nut-347g.jpg

I was going to do that, you beat me to it!
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'd say up your carbs a bit- I find that I personally do best and feel energetic when I cut down on refined/grain carbs, but keep the veg/fruit/dairy carbs - I have a banana almost every day. Just my thoughts... You have to find the right balance for you.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You don't want to take an iron supplement without a doctor's recommendation. Too much is not a good thing. Pedidiva is right you need to know the underlying cause which can be anything from blood loss to kidney disease etc. Feel Better!!!
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    TiffanyR71 wrote: »
    I'd say up your carbs a bit- I find that I personally do best and feel energetic when I cut down on refined/grain carbs, but keep the veg/fruit/dairy carbs - I have a banana almost every day. Just my thoughts... You have to find the right balance for you.

I agree with reducing the refined carbs and keeping fruit/veg carbs. I am also anemic, I would incorporate foods high in vitamin C around the time you take in Iron rich foods, as vitamin C helps to absorb Iron. Stay away from caffeine, as caffeine inhibits Iron absorption. If you still have these symptoms after a couple of weeks, head back to your DR.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    basically, I'm anaemic, (meaning I have a lack or iron in my blood), so in theory should eat lots of green leafy veg and red meat, as well as my supplements. Relatively speaking I am good at keeping up with the tablets and including these items in my diet. However I am trying to lose weight by trying a low carb diet. I have found this has made me super tired again and brought back my anaemia symptoms.
    Anyone got any other suggestions?

If you have been diagnosed as anemic, then your doctor should have advised you on what type of diet to eat.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe iron deficiency anemia but I've finally gotten it under control with 6 months of daily iron and b12 supplements. I would go back to the doctor and have your blood checked - see if it is actually an iron deficiency or if something else is causing the symptoms (such as eating low carb).

If you are actually anemic I would recommend taking an iron supplement - being anemic can make you feel pretty terrible.
  • SamDugdale208
    SamDugdale208 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I have been properly diagnosed with anaemia yes and I'm on Ferrous Sulphate tablets, 3 times a day (sigh) but I'm going back for more bloods soon.
    I've been trying low carb for a number of weeks, and it's getting slightly better but not ideal. I just never seemed to lose weight any other way.

I never thought about cooking in cast iron thanks for the tip!!