How do I start weight training?

Options
i do cardio but constantly hear you should do weight training to lose weight. Where do I start? What do I do machines or free weights?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Start by finding a program you can handle. New rules of lifting for women, Stronglifts, or Strong Curves are great beginning programs. Then follow the program.

**It may be beneficial to sign up with a trainer once you know what program you want to follow so he/she can walk you through proper form on the moves. You don't want to risk an injury by lifting with improper form.
  • ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    ImVeryAngryItsNotButter Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Start light with weights you can handle. Consider starting on machines as opposed to free weights - less chance of injury. Keep track of your progress and set weekly goals for yourself. I've included an example routine below if you're interested:

Day A
    Leg Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Chest Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Horizontal Row: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Lat Pull-down: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Shoulder Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Standing Calf Raise: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Seated Crunch: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 60 seconds

Day B
    Leg Extension: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 45 seconds
    Hamstring Curl: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 45 seconds
    Chest Press: 2 sets of 12 reps, rest 45 seconds
    Horizontal Cable Row: 2 sets of 12 reps, rest 45 seconds
    Machine Assisted Pull-up: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 45 seconds
    Bicep Curl: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 45 seconds
    Triceps Press-down: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 45 seconds

Day C
    Leg Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Chest Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Horizontal Row: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Lat Pull-down: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Shoulder Press: 2 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 seconds
    Decline Sit-up: 2 sets of 15 reps, rest 60 seconds

These are all machine based exercises that should help ease you into things. Remember that form and intensity are two of your biggest factors in the gym. Always warm up and stretch your muscles first. If you have any questions let me know. Good luck.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    1 rep at a time
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Free weights are intimidating but are much better for you for certain exercises. Hire a trainer if you really need to. Try to get in at least 3 days a week. If you start a routine on your own should include some variety of pushing, pulling, and lower body work.
  • dhotgirlgenie
    dhotgirlgenie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I can't really afford a trainer they are so expensive these days. Thanks for the info.
  • dhotgirlgenie
    Options
    Thanks Mostly Dick Weight I will try this.
  • dhotgirlgenie
    Options
    Michael that should work. Thanks!
  • dhotgirlgenie
    Options
    Thank you Xcalygirl.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mostly Dick Weight I will try this.

Please don’t. It has no basis in exercise science and won’t give you the results you deserve.

Buy the book “New Rules of Lifting for Women” or go to stronglifts.com. These are good, compound movement programs for beginners to intermediate lifters. The basics are to lift heavy, full body, and get results.

• dhotgirlgenie
    Options
    Thanks Allan I will check this out.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i do cardio but constantly hear you should do weight training to lose weight. Where do I start? What do I do machines or free weights?

I'm in the same place. But today I bought a 10 pound kettle bell, a 10 pound toner ball, a 5 pound bar bell, a Magic Circle and a mat. All of them had exercise charts or downloads and tomorrow I start.

I've heard that it is better to lift heavy than light but these are about the heaviest they are right now for me. I have CHF and have been told to not lift more than 15 pounds. I too cannot afford the money right now so....here I go. Let's see what happens so I can get rid of this "skinny fat". OH! and please maybe someone can give me a plan so I can get some help on reps, etc. The only thing I have done exercise way is walking and golf since I HATE exercise.