too much?

Options
Anyone get to the cool down on c25k & want to keep running?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's not a good idea. :smile:

C25K is designed to keep you from getting hurt while you condition your body to run. That's why you build up over time and never run more than every other day. You should never increase your running mileage by more than 10% from the week before. That's a rule for every runner, experienced or not. That means that if you actually ran (not walked) 3 miles total (1 mile each day) during your three C25K sessions last week, you shouldn't be running more than 3.3 miles this week. You should also not be doing anything high impact on the days between running. Your body needs to recover after your runs or you risk injuring yourself.

Enjoy your runs but understand they're designed the way they are to protect you. Besides, it's better that you're left wanting more so you'll get back out there 2 days later!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Anyone get to the cool down on c25k & want to keep running?

Early on in the program, absolutely. Don’t. If you’re getting toward the end and starting to feel more comfortable, go ahead and enjoy a little more running. However, you should monitor your weekly running mileage and it should not go up by more than 10% per week. More than that risks overdoing it and injury.
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm sticking to the 10% rule. Don't need an injury! I was just curious what others experienced. I'm only on week 4, its not a struggle but its not easy either. And I'm enjoying it. :)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it just depends what kind of shape your body is in. If it's not going to be damaging to your joints then I'd say go for it. When I was 50 pounds overweight I didn't bother with C25k, I started running a daily 5k from the day I decided to get into shape. But I've found out I'm a bit of an anomaly so I might not be the best person to take advice from. AllanMisner is always giving very good advice on this board so you should probably listen to him instead.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm sticking to the 10% rule. Don't need an injury! I was just curious what others experienced. I'm only on week 4, its not a struggle but its not easy either. And I'm enjoying it. :)
    Don't worry, it'll get harder. >:) There are some big jumps in running time built in. You'll be at the end soon enough and then it's onwards and upwards from there.

I went from 5K into 10K and then into half marathons. I've just let my sister talk me into doing a Ragnar trail run in Scottsdale in November and I said I would never do trail running (because I'm sure I'll twist an ankle or something!). It's 8 people running 15.5 miles each over a 24 hour period. Sometimes I think I need saving from myself!
  • jenncalicollins617
    jenncalicollins617 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Don't worry, it'll get harder. >:) There are some big jumps in running time built in. You'll be at the end soon enough and then it's onwards and upwards from there.

I went from 5K into 10K and then into half marathons. I've just let my sister talk me into doing a Ragnar trail run in Scottsdale in November and I said I would never do trail running (because I'm sure I'll twist an ankle or something!). It's 8 people running 15.5 miles each over a 24 hour period. Sometimes I think I need saving from myself!

Haha, gota love siblings, always so helpfull