First Bulk

Options
This will be my first bulk. I am an active male that weighs about 160 pounds. I am pretty fit & am trying to gain more weight to put on more muscle. I have been doing research and have just recently started using myfitnesspal. I'm really needing some good workout splits or some advice on bulking in general. We are all in this togethor! Take it easy

Replies

• ImVeryAngryItsNotButter
    Options
    You may want to try bro splits. Make sure to max out your intensity but don't sacrifice form and when you're at your breaking point push through it for serious gains. Try to increase your weight every week even if it's only five pounds. Train like a beast and eat like a monster. Here's an example routine:

Chest/Triceps
    Flat Barbell Bench Press - 3x8
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - 4x10-12
    Weighted Dips - 3x10
    Triceps Rope Pushdown - 4x10
    Skullcrushers - 3x8

Back/Bi's
    Pull-ups - 50 (increase by 5 each week)
    Barbell Row - 3x8
    Seated Wide-Grip Cable Row - 3x12
    Incline Chest Supported Dumbbell Row - 2x10
    Close-Grip Lat Pulldown - 3x10
    Seated Incline Dumbbell Curl - 3x10
    Dumbbell Hammer Curl - 3x8

Shoulders
    Standing Barbell Overhead Press - 4x8
    Dumbbell Lateral Raise - 3x10
    Bent Over Lateral Raise - 3x12
    Face Pulls - 3x20
    Barbell Shrugs - 3x12

Legs
    Leg Press - 3x10
    Dumbbell Split-Squat - 3x8
    Lying Leg Curl - 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl - 3x10
    Weighted Back Extensions - 3x12
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This will be my first bulk. I am an active male that weighs about 160 pounds. I am pretty fit & am trying to gain more weight to put on more muscle. I have been doing research and have just recently started using myfitnesspal. I'm really needing some good workout splits or some advice on bulking in general. We are all in this togethor! Take it easy

How much experience lifting do you have? If you are new, which is sounds like, I'd avoid bro splits right now since you want more frequency and volume for each muscle group than you can get from a bro split in order to maximize your growth potential. Concentrate on the heavy compound movements, bench, squat, and deadlift and build around that. you might want to check out some of the better beginner programs like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 or similar program. At most I would do a upper/lower split as a novice before trying to move to an advanced split.

I'm sure some other experienced lifters will be along soon to add some advice so do some more research once you've heard some more.

As for bulking you need to eat in a surplus. Check out MrM's bulking sticky at the top of this forum to start with as it contains all the basics.

Good luck to you.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

How much experience lifting do you have? If you are new, which is sounds like, I'd avoid bro splits right now since you want more frequency and volume for each muscle group than you can get from a bro split in order to maximize your growth potential. Concentrate on the heavy compound movements, bench, squat, and deadlift and build around that. you might want to check out some of the better beginner programs like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 or similar program. At most I would do a upper/lower split as a novice before trying to move to an advanced split.

I'm sure some other experienced lifters will be along soon to add some advice so do some more research once you've heard some more.

As for bulking you need to eat in a surplus. Check out MrM's bulking sticky at the top of this forum to start with as it contains all the basics.

Good luck to you.

I would disagree and say that to utilize "noob gains" you'll want to focus on hypertrophy for training and, as mentioned, eat a high protein diet in a surplus.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would suggest starting strength and do higher rep (hypertrophy) isolation exercises as accessory lifts.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Don't people generally recommend a basic, strength-based full body split for novice lifters?

Then when you gain some strength and experience you can focus hypertrophy splits and accessory lifts on problem areas?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Good luck to you.

I would disagree and say that to utilize "noob gains" you'll want to focus on hypertrophy for training and, as mentioned, eat a high protein diet in a surplus.

Noob gains come no matter what you do and it has to do with volume of training not the number of reps per set. You need to concentrate on both strength and gains not one or the other. Note we only slightly disagree here but to go strictly for hypertophy would be a mistake when you can have both.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Good luck to you.

Beginners will respond to almost any type of programming. So, it would be wise to stick them on a beginner program focused towards strength, and building the movement patterns. Hypertrophy will occur regardless through progressive overload. You'll need a strength base.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Good luck to you.

Beginners will respond to almost any type of programming. So, it would be wise to stick them on a beginner program focused towards strength, and building the movement patterns. Hypertrophy will occur regardless through progressive overload. You'll need a strength base.

I was thinking the same..

OP - look into strong lifts, starting strength, or something similar..I hear wendlers 5/3/1 has a beginner program built into it. But find a good beginner program and stick to it.