Fruit and Calories

2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    That is not a lot of calories. May I ask how tall you are, how old you are and what you currently weigh?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ronronronj wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Thanks much for the guidance. Can you please explain macros in a bit more detail please? I am not sure of the context here.

macros = percent of protein/fat/carbs in your diet….

you want to keep protein high when cutting/losing weight so that you minimize muscle loss.

a pretty standard split is 40% protein/30carbs/30 fats….you can also break it down in grams, but as you are in the beginning I think the percentages I listed would work out well for you. YOu can change the default setting by going to "custom settings...

I looked at my count for today (what I thought was a good day), and here's what I have:

Totals 1,355 224 34 61 245 125
    Daily Goal 1,500 188 50 75 2,300 56
    Remaining 145 -36 16 14 2,055 -69
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

(Sorry about any formatting issues.) Am I way off track here?

how much do you weigh? Protein seems a tad low….but everything else looks good...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Thanks much for the guidance. Can you please explain macros in a bit more detail please? I am not sure of the context here.

you want to keep protein high when cutting/losing weight so that you minimize muscle loss.

a pretty standard split is 40% protein/30carbs/30 fats….you can also break it down in grams, but as you are in the beginning I think the percentages I listed would work out well for you. YOu can change the default setting by going to "custom settings...

I looked at my count for today (what I thought was a good day), and here's what I have:

I'd up my calories and protein. I'm a 5'4" female and I am losing weight eating 1700 calories a day and ~100 g of protein.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    i cut out juice, personally, since it's not filling enough to justify the calories.

as for just plain fruit? nah, i still eat it. it's got quite a few calories, but it's not evil.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    That is not a lot of calories. May I ask how tall you are, how old you are and what you currently weigh?

I'm 53, 5'7", about 160 pounds. I'm trying not to let my weight get out of control and I want to lose at least 10 more pounds if possible.
  • ndj1979
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I'm 53, 5'7", about 160 pounds. I'm trying not to let my weight get out of control and I want to lose at least 10 more pounds if possible.

as a reference I am a 35 year old male 5-10 178 pounds and I am lose a pound a week at 2250 …

where did you get 1500 calories from???
  • ronronronj

I'd up my calories and protein. I'm a 5'4" female and I am losing weight eating 1700 calories a day and ~100 g of protein.

MFP recommended 1,500 calories as a goal to me.
  • ndj1979

what did you set your weight loss goal for ..one pound, two pound..??
  • ronronronj

what did you set your weight loss goal for ..one pound, two pound..??

This is embarrassing, but I don't quite remember. I'm sure it wasn't two pounds. I'm rather new to this weight loss (and smart phone) world.
  • ronronronj
    OK, I looked back at my MFP goals, and the weight loss was set at 1 lb/wk.
  • ndj1979
    OK, I looked back at my MFP goals, and the weight loss was set at 1 lb/wk.

ok - do you eat back exercise calories? you should make sure that you at least net 1500 a day ...
  • ronronronj
    I am still playing trial and error with this, but I have been trying to limit myself to that net.
  • ndj1979
    I am still playing trial and error with this, but I have been trying to limit myself to that net.

ok …well it is usually recommend to get about .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight, so in your case that would be about 120 grams…

I would suggest upping the protein ….
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    You are within an lb of being in the normal weight range. If you were 60yo a bmi of 27 (heavier) would actually predict greater longeviry for you. 71% of your age group peers have a higher BMI than you (US data)

I would seriously reconsider cutting food calories and concentrate instead on meeting strength training goals **gradually** through activity and exercise.

In other words I would set mfp to maintenance and avoid potential adaptations caused by abrupt, or prolonged caloric deficits.

In any case, 1lb a week is verging on too fast for you with a better goal being in the 0.8lb to 0.5lb a week range

And again I urge you to reconsider whether you can better achieve your goals by eating at maintenance and slowly building your muscles and strength through (probably weightlifting) exercises.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I love fruit and so I make room for it in my calories. I don't drink my calories, though, so I avoid fruit juice. It's a lot of sugar without the benefits of the fiber you get in whole fruit. But eat and drink what you like, just keep it within your calorie goals!
  • ronronronj
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. In fact, my weight loss has been less than 1 lb per week. It's been over 5 weeks and I have lost 4 pounds. If I get near 150, I will be happy.

Point well taken about exercise and strength. I have been walking a lot more (especially now that the weather has been getting warmer). I am considering running a little bit if I don't find out the hard way I have arthritis there.