Just Another Plateau and Weigh-In Thread

Options

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    To the OP thanks. That was very interesting.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not the threads that makes me tired.

But the arguing and unbelief of an OP when they post their question and you try to explain what happened and how to get in deficit again.
    They never ever changed anything ( what is the point already) they aren't wrong and they do it right!!!! Only they dont lose weight.
    So all posters are wrong ( who lose weight just fine) and OP is right.

Like i have losing my weight with magic ...right

And yes this should be a sticky
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    But . . . but . . . but you mean my plateau is non-existent? That just because I became lackadaisical in my logging and exercising and stopped losing weight it is MY fault? Cannot be! It HAS to be a plateau!!!! (pssst kudos, NCBoiler, what a great and well thought out and executed post)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    elvensnow wrote: »
    Personally I find this post quite patronizing. Sure, there are a lot of people out there who think staying the same for 2 weeks is a "plateau". And there are those who think staying the same weight for 2 weeks despite the fact they haven't logged everything and got a little lazy is a "plateau".

But it's patronizing to suggest there can't be people out there who need legitimate advice with a weight stall. I weigh every day and keep trend lines etc. And I ran into a period (long time ago now) where I maintained weight for several months. It wasn't until I finally read enough info about how I was likely eating TOO LITTLE at my current weight and exercise level, that I finally gained the courage to up my calories by 200 a day--and I busted through that "plateau" immediately.

So yes, of course there are people who will complain about a plateau and not really understand what that is or what's going on with their body. But it's incredibly condescending to act like those "don't exist" while in the same breath admitting that they do, just not for the reasons people think.

Most of the time people who do this start weighing their food vigorously because it is scary to up it.
    Without knowing they get more accurate than they were and yeps they start losing again because they created a deficit...( not because the ate more).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    @ncboiler89, you make me smile.

And, my hat's off to you......

92178.gif
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Helps to put things in perspective...
    I'm having one of those "plateaus" right now; not my first.
    But I know it will work itself out eventually...and this thread is a great reminder of that.
    Question: Does anybody know the android version of the app that charts the weight like in the OPs opening post?

TIA!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump, for more visibility. I just found this thread off of another one.

There is a website that shows the trending
    www.trendweight.com
    If you use a wifi scale or have a fitbit account that you put your weigh ins into, it does all the graphing for you.
    Libra is an android app that also does the trending graphs for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    elvensnow wrote: »
    Personally I find this post quite patronizing....It wasn't until I finally read enough info about how I was likely eating TOO LITTLE

You find it patronizing because you believe an impossibility. If you really upped your intake by 200 kcals, you would not suddenly lose weight because of it.

I understand that you believe it, but it's like believing that your car runs out of gas quicker if you put more into it.

I do believe that you changed up what you were eating and then lost weight either because (a) you suddenly also logged more accurately because you were anxious not to accidentally add more than 200 kcals; or (b) you suddenly were eating differently and less than you realized, and so realized the deficit your body was waiting for.

Osric
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Plateaus are real. To suggest otherwise is, to put it flatly, ignorant.

lo1z9se0j2mk.jpg

vlumqay38edz.jpg

Some people seem to enjoy being on a plateau:

euztgaqswxep.jpg

Others, not so much:

wxenvfi8lsuz.jpg

Either way, just beware that some are inhabited by dinosaurs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_World_(Conan_Doyle_novel)

• cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just went on a 'rampage' on my personal newsfeed about experiencing a plateau (without actually saying that icky word). I was looking up other info and came across this thread. Now, I feel like an uninformed brat. Thanks for the info, OP!

Now, to apologize to my 'friends' who had to endure that rant... :hushed:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I live on the Plateau. So yeah, they're real.

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Discover-montreal/Neighbourhoods/Plateau-Mont-Royal

Totally unrelated to weight loss though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Who has a link to the nominate for a stickie thread?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love this thread! Who has a link to the nominate for a stickie thread?

It was added to the stickies when they rebuilt the list a couple of weeks ago!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hooray!