what are some good cardio activities, rite now i can only walk, i and 5-7 260lbs

Can someone please help me with cardio ideas? I have a treadmill elliptical and insanity, im tired of being fat

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    And walking doesn't sound good enough because?
    -relatively easy on the joints
    -easy to engage in at will with no preparation
    -can perform it for hours

You could also look into pool based activities.

And obviously if you want to lose weight starting to control and slowly modify what you eat based on a caloric budget and the observations you gather through logging.... would be great ideas!
  • Yahminah
    Yahminah Posts: 3 Member
    Elliptical in short intervals of 15-20 min is a good start. It helped me get my heart pumping and not feel overwhelmed by the time. Build yourself up to 1 hour total per day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • brockbennett1981
    brockbennett1981 Posts: 187 Member
    Ive been really good with my calorie intake and my nutrition goals on here
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Weightloss happens in the kitchen, not from exercise. Granted you can eat more calories if you exercise but it is not required for weightloss.

Walking is great, especially if that is all you can do right now.

I did almost no exercise for the first 60 lbs I lost. I did walk intermittently, but nothing I would consider regular.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    If you need low to no impact try a stationary bike. It's boring but you actually burn a fair amount of calories. I also like swimming.

I'm on these exercises due to some stress fractures. Normally, I love to run. Any exercise I only need my sneaks for is ok in my book.

• brockbennett1981
    Thank you all for the info
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Walking is great

Get out of the house and do it, borrow a dog if you like ...challenge yourself to go further / faster

And eat at a defecit
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    If you're looking for other, easily accessible and useful programmes and want to build on your home elliptical then I recommend this
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • brockbennett1981
    Thanks rabbit
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Walking is fine. You DON'T need exercise to lose weight, but it does help to create a higher calorie burn allowing you more room to consume a little more. CICO is still the basis of weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • brockbennett1981
    Thanks
  • justfenix
    justfenix Posts: 30 Member
    Swim.. swim... and maybe swim. It's fun, it's relaxing and with summer coming, you don't get hot and sweaty (maybe it's just me but when I start seriously sweating, rather than thinking I'm really accomplishing something now, I feel like I am being fat shamed by my own body which is not exactly motivating).

Check the gyms around you and see if they have any water classes. You get strength and cardio and from the what I have seen from the classes at my gym, they have a great time. You can even just go once or twice. learn a good workout and do it on your own if you don't like the class aspect. They make great waterproof MP3 players with headphones for swimming now so you can get some good music and do your thing.

And don't beat yourself up when you first start. I was on swim teams for years when I was younger but had not been in a pool for years. First time I got back in I swam 2 laps and was pretty sure that death was imminent. Grab a kick board. Swim a lap, kick a couple laps, then swim again. I started swimming again about 8 months ago. Like I said, thought I was going to die. I set small goals, swim 2, kick 2, then swim 4 kick 2.. and keep building. You 'll be amazed how quickly it gets easier and those small victories make you want to see just how much farther you can push it. My numbers now are crazy. And I've also lost 60lbs in that time.
  • brockbennett1981
    Wow thanks alot i will try
  • SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    I've grown fond of water jogging. It's easier on my joints and more enjoyable for me than using exercise machines. I like to switch between water jogging and swimming for at least an hour. It's so relaxing and feels almost effortless. I wish I had an indoor, heated pool because I'd live in it if I did :smiley: . But I do sometimes enjoy a good walk on the treadmill if I'm able to watch something interesting on the TV at the same time. If I had an elliptical, I would use it while rocking out to some favorite upbeat songs. But really, if you have access to a pool, water jogging and swimming burn up quite a bit of calories. Even though weightloss happens in the kitchen, it surely does help to stay fit and active too. Much luck!
  • brockbennett1981
    Thanks skinnygal
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Youtube has loads of free exercises you can do. Have a look at fitness blender and Leslie Sansone walking exercises. Or any of the thousands of other exercises on there. Ther is bound to be something that you like
  • brockbennett1981
    Thanks
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Keep walking. It is awesome exercise, if you worry it is not enough.
  • brockbennett1981
    Thank you