Always feeling hungry

Options
I am looking for snack ideas that will make me feel full. I usually eat fruits and veggies, but that gets old. Any suggestions?

Replies

• carmelamadeleine
    carmelamadeleine Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i mix 1 Tbsp of chia seeds in my shake ( ex. banana-strawberry-almond milk shake). makes me feel full for hours plus a giid source of omega 3.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Rather than just having plain fruit and veg try adding some hummus, Greek yoghurt, peanut butter or other nut butter. I find the addition of protein tends to keep the hunger at bay a bit longer. Other options to try could be a hard boiled egg, sliced deli meats or a can of tuna (these can be high in salt though so, keep that in mind if you're watching your sodium intake).
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that peanut butter is really easy to overeat, and so is hummus. They are both higher in calories per serving than an entire chicken breast. The egg is a really good idea, though. If you just eat egg whites they are only 17 calories an egg.
    Agreed, peanut butter and hummus are easy to overeat so, I guess the idea there is to weigh out your servings if you're going to have those things. I tend to go for the whole egg rather than just the whites as I find it more satisfying but, that's personal choice. The chicken breast idea is great (and clearly the best option for the calorie 'investment') if you've got the time to prepare it.

• likaakah
    likaakah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein snacks always worked for me. Beef jerkey, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt are some good choices.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    One cup of full-fat whole milk yogurt with a tablespoon of chia seeds mixed in real good and some blueberries on top.
  • JasonlRoeder
    JasonlRoeder Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that foods high in fiber will make you feel full. Is this true? These are snacks that don't need much to prepare. The egg idea would be easy, but I'm not sure about the peanut butter. I would probably eat too much of it.
  • RebeccaChemmy
    RebeccaChemmy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find that if you literally can eat a chicken breast for a snack, which is totally weird and I haven't been able to pull off till this year (in a college dorm there is more free time), you will be full for like 140 calories.

I know that isn't practical, but if you cook it overnight and put it in a bag it could work.

I do that every day! I don't see how anyone can NOT pull it off... It's just eating. Most of ths time I don't pay attention to what others are eating, and I imagine most other people are the same. :p We just don't care. So you rock that chicken in a bag!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that foods high in fiber will make you feel full. Is this true? These are snacks that don't need much to prepare. The egg idea would be easy, but I'm not sure about the peanut butter. I would probably eat too much of it.

Protein, fat, and fiber are generally the things you want to help you feel full. But it's going to be a little different for everyone.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am looking for snack ideas that will make me feel full. I usually eat fruits and veggies, but that gets old. Any suggestions?

Definitely protein is the way to go. Protein makes you feel fuller longer than carbs and fats. Low-fat and fat-free dairy can be a good idea, because dairy is one food that doesn't replace fat with sodium and sugar if you need to avoid those, and is a good protein source. I used to have a yogurt and milk for a snack mid-morning at work every day. Some people choose cottage cheese. You can make cottage cheese interesting by adding different kinds of fruit to it.
  • JasonlRoeder
    JasonlRoeder Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip mccindy. I've never tried cottage cheese, but I'm open to try new things.