Injured foot!

Options
Now how do I burn extra calories without being able to work at my step goal? :s

Replies

• Noogsofthenorth
    Noogsofthenorth Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's a pain I have just started a new job and got heel spurs. It's making my weightloss journey hard
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Similar position. ...waiting surgery on shoulder. .can't even run now. .just fast walking lol but at least I'm doing something. ....I'm sure everyone will be able to offer advice. ..don't give up! !! :wink:
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Stretching, yoga, swim, upper body resistance... what does your doctor recommend?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    RFB12 wrote: »
    Now how do I burn extra calories without being able to work at my step goal? :s
    Weight loss is primarily about diet. So if you can't exercise as much you may have to reduce the amount of calories. Have just spent 6 weeks unable to run due to a stress fracture I know how frustrating this can be.

Look at other exercises. can you go swimming? Lift weights? or any other upper body exercises. Are you able to ride bike with your foot?
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a bad ankle/foot injury at the moment and am on crutches. I upped my calorie goal from 2lbs a week to 1lb, as I'd usually get a lot of exercise calories to make up the difference. This means I can now eat roughly the same, and still lose despite not being as active. I'll just lose a bit slower for a few weeks, and that's fine. (I didn't see the point of reducing my calories by 500 when I need to heal.)

I've also been using my weights, and resistance bands at home, do exercises on the mat that won't stress my ankle, and using chair workout videos (check out youtube). You won't be able to get as good of a burn as if you went to the gym, but you can workout enough to get sweaty, and your heart rate up. Some of the chair videos include cardio, and are actually quite good. Check them out.

I won't lie... I'm sad that my fitbit stats have gone down the toilet lol... but such is life! Feel better and good luck. :)
  • misssmadalyn
    misssmadalyn Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I sprained my ankle a couple weeks back I was stressed to not be able to make it to the gym. I rested the whole week & watched my diet. I lost 2.8 pounds that week I was very surprised. Try not to stress. if you do gain it can always be lost again. Don't injure yourself further :smile:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that if you injury is making you less active then your maintenance and goal calories will be lower
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just adjust your calories to reflect the change in activity level. I actually didn't do any exercise while I was in the active weight loss phase and had no problems losing :)
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Pinched a nerve in my back. It's awful. I can barely work or sleep. I just want to get better.
  • Amy_FeathSaorsa
    Amy_FeathSaorsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Similar story, the cartilage in my left foot is disintegrating and have had operations to cut out dead cartilage but still in pain, have just had to accept that some days I can hardly walk so on those days I just reduce my calorie intake and focus on exercises I can do such as sit ups, push ups (on one foot!) or lat pull downs.
    Is swimming an option for you? If so I would recommend that as well as including non weight bearing exercises where you don't put too much if any strain on your foot :) the main priority is the recovery/healing - in the end who cares if you put off the weight loss for a week or so?
  • RFB12
    RFB12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your fabulous replies! Some great suggestions.. And I really hope that everyone else who has an illness or injury resolves it very soon. :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Been there. I severely broke my foot and didn't walk, no weight bearing at all, for 10 months. I just focused on maintaining and letting my body heal. Weight loss is primarily done in the kitchen and exercise is just icing on the cake. Just watch your intake and try some upper body work.