I'm confused

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Take a healthy person of normal weight and fat percentage.

Restrict their calories or get them to do a lot of cardio. Yeah, they lose some fat and some muscle and approach the (body) perfection they seek.

Are they happy once they achieve the body perfection? Maybe they are, or maybe they aren't.

I personally don't see how the problems they had at +10lbs will go away, change, or disappear at -10lbs; but, regardless of whether they do, or don't, there is still a price left to pay for this experiment!

The nice cardio exercises that used to burn 12 calories per minute? They now only burn 10 calories a minute because the muscles have gotten used to doing them. To translate, the hour's run that used to burn 720 Cal... it now only burns 600 Cal.

And the body that used to burn 1800 calories a day at rest? Now, after a few sharp deficits, and/or a prolonged period of caloric restriction, that body has adapted to better function in this reduced food environment. It now only burns 1600 Cals a day (without even taking muscle mass loss into account!)

So, let's say that this normal weight person used to run for about an hour, five times a week, and be at balance eating about 2314 Calories a day. Now, with the same activity, they are at maintenance eating 2,028 Calories a day... a bit more than a Snicker's bar less a day :smile:

And you know what else? Every morsel of food just tastes SOOOO much better than it used to. Everything smells so much nicer than before. Because your body's hormones are doing everything they can to trick you into... eating more!

And on top of that your hormones have now prepped the environment so that as much of your caloric overage as possible gets whisked away straight into fat storage... you know, so that your body can prepare for the next famine!

And you are wondering why you are so hungry and why your willpower is not strong enough to keep you going...

I do understand why desperate people (defined as those of us who are obese or overweight and who need to get the weight off for health reasons) feel the need to put ourselves through the weight loss grinder I describe above.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Lifting in a defecit to preserve muscle

you aren't going to build huge muscles easily as a woman

that picture you posted - do you really have her body shape - she looks rather light framed with long sinewy muscles - is that you?

Lifting heavy is the best revelation to me in terms of making my body tight and high

That picture has a low body fat % on a thin frame

I think this image explains it well

a46378e79756000773fcee9ba88143012390.jpg

p9ttll1101ec.jpg
    I don't know if this helps but this is my body.

wow...

Yah you aren't seeing yourself the way you really are...

Use a tape and measure your legs, arms, waist, neck, chest and any other part then go back to lifting. Most gum mirrors will make you look bigger than you are.