No Energy :( - would vitamins help?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right board.....but I HAVE NO ENERGY! I have been exercising since April 15 (2 bootcamps per week, and walking/hiking twice per week), trying to eat better....but I still feel as if I am in my winter slump!

I am 46 years old, have a desk job, and am 20 - 30 lbs over my goal weight - any suggestions on vitamins that i should possibly be taking?

Vitamin D deficiency could be the culprit, most psople are deficient and it can cause all sorts of mischief. A simple blood test can tell you your level, and it's an easy thing to fix :)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you're getting virtually no veggies!
    Try adding a good portion every day!
    I eat lots and have endless energy! And (knock on wood), I very rarely get sick.
    There are so many nutrients in the veggies!
    Use a little fat with them like butter or extra virgin olive oil to better absorb the vitamins!

Funny you should say this, I am already planning next weeks meals, and am trying to incorporate more veggies :) This will definatley be a good start until I can get a physical.....Thank you!!
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right board.....but I HAVE NO ENERGY! I have been exercising since April 15 (2 bootcamps per week, and walking/hiking twice per week), trying to eat better....but I still feel as if I am in my winter slump!

I am 46 years old, have a desk job, and am 20 - 30 lbs over my goal weight - any suggestions on vitamins that i should possibly be taking?

Vitamin D deficiency could be the culprit, most psople are deficient and it can cause all sorts of mischief. A simple blood test can tell you your level, and it's an easy thing to fix :)

We had a HORRIBLE winter in the Northeast and it's just starting to get warm (finally!) so I was not outside at all for a while ~ getting out there now and maybe I should drink 8oz a milk a day too

• astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you have any stress, depression, or anxiety? Is your work dragging you down? I ask because you have a desk job, but said you come home exhausted. I know for me, stress plays a big role in how much energy I have, regardless of how much I eat. Mental and psychological aspects shouldn't be overlooked.

I actually have a pretty stress free life (within the last 4 months) ~ i owned a cafe for 3 years, and closed in December ~ this is where I gained these pesky 30 pounds!! ~ I enjoyed owning the cafe, but it was very stressful also, now I have come full circle and am back at the job that I left, lol....No regrets opening or closing the cafe ~

My kids are healthy, I have a great husband, make fairly good money ~ I am a pretty laid back person and don't let much bother me. For the most part, life if good :)

Last night I couldn't keep my eyes open past 8:30! I did take a big walk with hills involved, but come on!! Maybe I don't sleep as well as I think?

Will definatley be seeing a doctor in August when my insurance kicks in.

Yeah, the doctor is a good idea then! There are so many different possible medical causes of fatigue. Like the poster said above about Vitamin D - I was severely deficient last year and had zero energy for workouts, and my muscles and bones ached. I had to take high doses of Vitamin D and purposely try to get some sun.
  • rocknroll667
    rocknroll667 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. Also, I would try eating at 1400 daily for 5 days. Try not eating back your exercise calories.

You may be overeating. At least, that's from my experience. I do not eat back exercise calories and energy has picked up. Give this calorie counting thing a few weeks before panic. You have to get into a groove. It really is not easy.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options

We had a HORRIBLE winter in the Northeast and it's just starting to get warm (finally!) so I was not outside at all for a while ~ getting out there now and maybe I should drink 8oz a milk a day too
    Feeling you on the weather. I'm in NYC and the weather FINALLY got nicer just in time for allergies to hit me in the face. Ugh. Currently avoiding being outside too long.
  • dargytaylor
    Options

Feeling you on the weather. I'm in NYC and the weather FINALLY got nicer just in time for allergies to hit me in the face. Ugh. Currently avoiding being outside too long.

understand the whole allergy thing too!! I was actually thinking that may have an effect on my sluggishness
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and currently weigh 181 :( trying to get down to 150ish

Almost the same! I am 5'8'', currently weigh 179, trying to get below 160ish (will reevaluate from there). ;)

I live in Canada, and a nutritionist recommended I have some vitamin D from october to April, which I did. I'm pretty sure it helped a lot with energy levels and immune system, so that's something to consider if you don't go outside much during winter. Now that the sun is here try to get 15-20 minutes of sun every day (arms and face). If you can't get to a doctor right now, maybe a nutritionist would be a affordable alternative?

Be sure to get enough sleep! Weight loss works better with good sleep. I actually sleep closer to 9 hours now, but my energy levels during the day are super stable.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and all the comments that followed. My first guess was shift-work but you are on a regular schedule, aren't you? I also noticed your fat is a little high from lots of natural sources like nuts and peanut butter. Someone else noted that more veggies might help. Your breakfasts look a lot the same! Are you a routine eater? Might you try changing up your breakfast routine to see if that helps?
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    I am 5'8" and currently weigh 181 :( trying to get down to 150ish

Almost the same! I am 5'8'', currently weigh 179, trying to get below 160ish (will reevaluate from there). ;)

I live in Canada, and a nutritionist recommended I have some vitamin D from october to April, which I did. I'm pretty sure it helped a lot with energy levels and immune system, so that's something to consider if you don't go outside much during winter. Now that the sun is here try to get 15-20 minutes of sun every day (arms and face). If you can't get to a doctor right now, maybe a nutritionist would be a affordable alternative?

Be sure to get enough sleep! Weight loss works better with good sleep. I actually sleep closer to 9 hours now, but my energy levels during the day are super stable.

Yes, I'm going to try to get out more....definatley didn't get out at all this winter!

I am a sleeper, or so I think! I do toss and turn, but think I still average at least 7 hours, probably closer to 8
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I had a look at your diary and all the comments that followed. My first guess was shift-work but you are on a regular schedule, aren't you? I also noticed your fat is a little high from lots of natural sources like nuts and peanut butter. Someone else noted that more veggies might help. Your breakfasts look a lot the same! Are you a routine eater? Might you try changing up your breakfast routine to see if that helps?

Yes, i need more veggies :) Yes, a very regular schedule!! I am very routine, but only for a week...I plan my meals in advance, this helps me stay accountable :) And my fat intake has been high this week, was not thought out very well when i bought the nuts! lol