Travel Tips Needed

Options
Does anyone have any good tips for staying on track while traveling? I have a new position and see that this may be a serious issue in the future.

Replies

• kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do you mean long-term travelling or just being away for a day or two?
    If it's the latter, I plan ahead and take as much pre-weighed and logged food as I can. When eating out, I try to opt for the healthiest option I can find.
    My biggest problem is keeping hydrated, because I don't like public loos, so I can't drink my normal amount of water.
    Hope this helped.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Stay at hotels that serve breakfast, because you can easily limit how much ends up on your plate. Many restaurants have started offering lower calorie options on their menus. But you might also consider buying food at a grocery store instead. Many hotels have refrigerators in the rooms, so storing food while you are there isn't a problem.
  • Mjones23456
    Mjones23456 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the assistance! I have found myself in a new role that I may be out of town for a week at a time. Sometimes the dinners are hosted and I have no control over the menu. I certainly can understand the water issue!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    With the hosted dinner just try to eat in moderation. and water Water WATER
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Eating out while on business is a horrible obstacle. I'd suggest always getting a doggy bag for dinners. Eat half of the plate in restaurants and if you can, bring it back to the hotel for breakfast or a snack (most hotels have fridges). If your place doesn't have a microwave, I'd eat it if you need a snack, but breakfast is kind of out with cold dinner food. Otherwise, stick with the seafood and veggies. If you're literally in the car, hopefully you can stop at Subway's or something. It isn't the greatest, but at least there is some sort of portion control as well as control over what is going into the sandwich. That was my main staple on the road (Subway sandwiches and water). Good luck, it is definitely tough to forgo the cheesecake and desserts, but you can do it and still be reasonably within your calorie goal! :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Biggest advice is to rethink the concept of "free" food. Food that your company pays for isn't free; it may not cost you money, but it still costs you calories. Dinners out, order strategically off the menu, and don't worry about sending half the food back or -- if your hotel has a mini-fridge -- ask for it "to go" and tell people you'll eat it as a midnight snack. You don't have to, of course, but it might be more socially acceptable than sending it back if you're really uncomfortable.

Learn to make smart choices on the lunch or breakfast buffet. Eggs, yogurt, fish and salad are all good options, and most hotels and conference centres have become much more health-conscious with the food they offer lately. Strategically look for the protein first and add that to your plate, followed by the veggies and salad greens. Skip the mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack dessert food in favour of some cheese or maybe another coffee.

At evenings in the bar, watch the alcohol consumption, since that's where so many business trips get derailed. If you feel pressure to match your colleagues or clients drink for drink, one trick you can use is to order club soda at the bar, and just tell people it's a vodka soda or something. Or you could just lie and say you don't drink, but presumably you work with these people and they know you so you may not want to do that unless you never, ever want to have a beer in their presence again.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What I do is eat the protein first, then see where I am. Getting the protein means I don't get as hungry later, and I figure that's a majority of what you're paying for, so I don't feel bad if I don't eat much of the sides.
  • Mjones23456
    Options
    This is all good info and appreciate all of it! Thanks!
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    All great tips here, similar to what I did when travelling for work. Find a grocery store and stock up on some fruit, to go things like crackers, waters etc. That way you can make sure you snack on something healthy first before heading out to a dinner or party and snacking on the little bites they're offering you or whatever it is.

With meals being served, just eat all the healthy stuff first, or ask without sauce. I usually eat around the sauce because it's usually fatty and I can't estimate the ingredients. Also eat around french fries, focus on salad etc.

If you can choose, opt for mainly protein, vegs, and fiber!

With regards to drinks, a gin/tonic or vodka/soda are indeed your best options I think. Avoid sugary alcohols, like rum and cocktails with added sugar. Also, wine isn't too bad for you if you stick with 1 glass if you feel like you really should, but I would just opt for water instead, why not?
  • Amunah
    Amunah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eating out at work functions is tricky - you rarely know what's available/on the menu, or how it will be cooked (i.e. butter/oil/sauces) so it is hard to plan the rest of your day. At the last black tie dinner I attended, I ate slowly and did more talking than eating/drinking... not only did it keep a good conversation going (the others could eat while I talked), I only ate about two-thirds of what was served for each course before the waiters took the plates away.

Good tip to eat the protein first - I'll remember that one for next time :)
  • Mjones23456
    Options
    That's sounds like a doable plan! Thanks!