Great way to incorporate VEGGIES!

Options
dargytaylor
dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
This looks delicous, and can't wait to make it!! It will be in next weeks dinner rotation :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/07/taco-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html

Replies

• dargytaylor
    Options
    Any more recipes for easy ways to get in more veggies??
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I can actually eat spinach raw with nothing else like this guy.

spinach.gif

Also I can put spinach+protein powder+ water= post workout meal

Sorry I don't really know any fun tasty ways to eat veggies besides like a stir fry.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    spinach is not my favorite (don't hate it, but don't love it), but I am going to start adding some to my scrambled eggs ~ baby steps, lol
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    One thing I used to make a lot when my son was younger and very picky was "cheese" soup. I would cook two bags of frozen veggies (usually broccoli/cauliflower/carrot blend) in chicken or vegetable broth and an envelope of dry onion soup mix. Then I'd throw in a package of lowfat cheese. Pureed it in the blender and called it cheese soup. He absolutely loved it!
  • Janelle977
    Janelle977 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Portobella mushroom "pizzas" are my family's new favorite. Even the kids and husband love them. I take the gills out and bake them extra first with rolled circles of tin foil underneath each one so they don't get soggy. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Personal-Portobello-Pizza/ Also Bob Harper's recipe for stir fry incorporates lots of veggies too and is tasty. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2395306 I put in whatever vegetables I feel like when I cook it.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    One thing I used to make a lot when my son was younger and very picky was "cheese" soup. I would cook two bags of frozen veggies (usually broccoli/cauliflower/carrot blend) in chicken or vegetable broth and an envelope of dry onion soup mix. Then I'd throw in a package of lowfat cheese. Pureed it in the blender and called it cheese soup. He absolutely loved it!

Good Idea!
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Janelle977 wrote: »
    Portobella mushroom "pizzas" are my family's new favorite. Even the kids and husband love them. I take the gills out and bake them extra first with rolled circles of tin foil underneath each one so they don't get soggy. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Personal-Portobello-Pizza/ Also Bob Harper's recipe for stir fry incorporates lots of veggies too and is tasty. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=2395306 I put in whatever vegetables I feel like when I cook it.

I'll have to give these a whirl ~ i love mushrooms!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I have these on hand in my freezer for easy meals and have had them in rotation for the past 7 years! I pretty much just make sure everything I make is around 50% vegetables. My family's favorites:

Cauliflower macaroni and cheese:
    Take one chopped head of cauliflower, steam in a small amount of water until tender. Puree cauliflower, add 1 cup sharp cheese, and season to taste – I use adobo OR salt/pepper/mustard powder. Freeze in ice cube trays until frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave as many cubes as needed and mix with cooked pasta or a mixture of cooked broccoli and pasta. This can also be used as a cheese sauce for veggies.

Chicken/yellow squash nuggets:
    Shred 1-2 squash and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes on a lightly greased cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or bake for a crisp exterior.

Turkey/zucchini meatballs:
    Shred 1-2 zucchini and squeeze most of the liquid out. Mix with 1lb ground turkey, 1 egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, and choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or simmer in sauce.

Burgers and meatloaf are other great options. Just finely shred or pulse any vegetable you want into them. You will be surprised at how nobody detects them, especially if the colors are similar. Raw burgers can be formed and frozen on a cookie sheet and once frozen bagged or packaged with wax paper in between each burger. Meatloaf can be cooked in a muffin pan for individual servings, then cooled and frozen on a cookie sheet before bagging.

Ground beef mixed with pulsed mushrooms (1lb meat with 8-16oz of mushrooms) cooked together is undetectable. It’s a great trick for burgers, tacos, sloppy joes, shepherd’s pie, etc. You can also swap out lentils for all or some of the meat.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers, veggie soups, veggie pasta sauce. Another thing that I do is mix ground meat with pureed veggies/lentils to bulk up a dish. Hope this helps.
  • comeongethealthyro
    comeongethealthyro Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    carrot cake oatmeal :) prepare the oatmeal as you usually would, then add shredded carrots! I shred mine with a cheese grater. With some nutmeg & cinnamon, tastes so good!
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    I have these on hand in my freezer for easy meals and have had them in rotation for the past 7 years! I pretty much just make sure everything I make is around 50% vegetables. My family's favorites:

Cauliflower macaroni and cheese:
    Take one chopped head of cauliflower, steam in a small amount of water until tender. Puree cauliflower, add 1 cup sharp cheese, and season to taste – I use adobo OR salt/pepper/mustard powder. Freeze in ice cube trays until frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave as many cubes as needed and mix with cooked pasta or a mixture of cooked broccoli and pasta. This can also be used as a cheese sauce for veggies.

Chicken/yellow squash nuggets:
    Shred 1-2 squash and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes on a lightly greased cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or bake for a crisp exterior.

Turkey/zucchini meatballs:
    Shred 1-2 zucchini and squeeze most of the liquid out. Mix with 1lb ground turkey, 1 egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, and choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or simmer in sauce.

Burgers and meatloaf are other great options. Just finely shred or pulse any vegetable you want into them. You will be surprised at how nobody detects them, especially if the colors are similar. Raw burgers can be formed and frozen on a cookie sheet and once frozen bagged or packaged with wax paper in between each burger. Meatloaf can be cooked in a muffin pan for individual servings, then cooled and frozen on a cookie sheet before bagging.

Ground beef mixed with pulsed mushrooms (1lb meat with 8-16oz of mushrooms) cooked together is undetectable. It’s a great trick for burgers, tacos, sloppy joes, shepherd’s pie, etc. You can also swap out lentils for all or some of the meat.

awesome recipes!! thank you!! i am very intrigued and can't wait to try them!! I love cooking :)
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    Stuffed peppers, veggie soups, veggie pasta sauce. Another thing that I do is mix ground meat with pureed veggies/lentils to bulk up a dish. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Do you puree the veggies right into your pasta sauce?
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    carrot cake oatmeal :) prepare the oatmeal as you usually would, then add shredded carrots! I shred mine with a cheese grater. With some nutmeg & cinnamon, tastes so good!

YUM! do you have a recipe?
  • Queenmunchy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Also, noodle your veggies like inspiralized.com. I'd say most of my meals are 50-75% vegetables, and they're huge bowls/plates of food for minimal calories.
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    Also, noodle your veggies like inspiralized.com. I'd say most of my meals are 50-75% vegetables, and they're huge bowls/plates of food for minimal calories.

i have been wanting to purchase one of these!! definatley my next kitchen gadget :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Oh. Do it! I've bought 4 now for other people that kept borrowing mine after tasting recipes I've made. Mine is actually "on loan"'right now and I'm stuck! I use it probably 3 times a week and have for over 2 years.