Am I losing LBM?

Options
2»

Replies

• rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Not eating a ton as is, on top of being vegetarian, I'm probably not getting the protein I should be. I just really like vegetables...

Beans are our friend! I'm vegetarian also, and have been trying to up my protein consumption. Beans, protein bars, and protein powders would be a good start. The beans are more inexpensive though, so stock up. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. Y'all just reaffirmed what should have been common sense. I need to realign my focus to be on building muscle rather than losing weight (which I admit, I gave more priority than I should have).

I'll start:
    1) tracking cals and nutrients to make sure I'm getting what I need, and will likely need to increase intake (despite my busted hunger response).
    2) killing it in the gym (with more focus on strength than cardio, rather than the reverse) and maybe a more organized, progressive program.

Anything else? Again thanks for the help and the lack of judgement.

If you want to gain new muscle, then you need to eat in a surplus of calories and need a progressive weight training program such as KSY suggest. This also means, you will gain new fat (~ 50%) as it's inevitable. But before you would do a bulk, which I suspect you mean you want to get stronger and lose some body fat, you would want a solid lifting foundation and should read Bulking - a complete guide for beginners

But if you want to get more lean (aka lose some fat and maintain muscle while getting stronger), then you want to have a small deficit (300-500 calories), focus more on getting more protein, and using a progressive weight lifting program (like NROLFW).