Did I do it correctly? how would I know?

kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
OK, so after various video watching last on how to perform the deadlift with good form and learning all about the hip hinge and practising this too last night (with my 4 year old who manages to do it so perfectly!!)......

I reviewed lots of images of leg/hip/back position when doing the deadlift, I watched Mark Ripptoe's videos too which were sooo helpful.

When I was practising the Hip hinge where you stand 6 inches from the wall and push your hips back until you touch the wall I felt the pull (not a bad pull at all, more of a " getting ready" pull) in my hams/calves - is this normal? I ask because when being shown the deadlift with the PT I didnt get this at all from my hams/calves!

So, today, albeit a little nervous about doing it myself, off I popped to the gym, I got myself in position and again felt my calves/hams getting ready when I bracing myself for the lift and I did the deadlift, no twinges in back (lower or higher), no "bad" pulls in arms/legs, I kept my eye contact on the floor (so neck was in line with spine) and didnt look up until I came up from the deadlift!

I felt very proud of myself but my question is....how would I know if I hadn't done it correctly?

I've also got the Starting Strength book on order as I've read that this a really good book!

Thanks, Kel

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    You'd have to post a video so we might be able to critique your form.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Video is pretty much the only way you'll be able to confirm.

I personally video regularly- I try to do it weekly- but sometimes it's every other week- depends on how I'm feeling- how much time I have- what my lifts are and honestly if the gym is to busy or not.

But you won't know till someone either TELLS you- or you can critique for yourself- it's technical stuff- there is not "Ah HA i've got it I'm done"

It's a never ending process of constantly adjusting to get the most from your lifting.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    You'd have to post a video so we might be able to critique your form.

Yup
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    I was about to suggest the Rippetoe vids and books, but you're already ahead of the game. They were essential for me when I started seriously to make sure I wouldn't hurt myself.

You could always ask a trainer at the gym or someone you see that is deadlifting with good form. That might be a good start until you record a video.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    A little stretch in the legs is fine unless it's really uncomfortable then you may want to bend your knees a little bit more. You don't want your legs straight, something like a quarter squat is ideal.

Don't forget to warm up properly, that's really important.

Agree with the others on a video.