Metformin and Depression

Options
Hi - just posting this in this forum per chance anyone has experienced depression with metformin?

Any info is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• locstar22
    locstar22 Posts: 9
    Options
    hmm..interesting question! I am on Metformin and I've self-diagnosed myself with some level of depression. I've been on it for a few years and never connected the two since I have a hard time with 'balance' and staying happy in general. I'll be very curious to read the responses and thanks for asking.
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I noticed any depression with my metformin..however I have clinical depression as a separate diagnosis, I cant be of much help. I'd google it if I were you..NOT because everything on the internet is true but I find that if I see a bunch of people goin through similar things it's something that may have a little validity and I will talk to my doctor about it. Good luck :)
  • fitjerseygirl
    fitjerseygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - I spoke to my gyno and decided to stop taking it and just focus on diet and exercise. A little bummed because I thought it would help with my insulin levels and getting these to a healthy level but I am NOT willing to feel like this!

I found a research paper online that said a small group of people experienced depression with Metformin - so it is a side effect just a less likely one - always worth talking to your doc though to be sure!

Fingers crossed I continue to make progress w/o Metformin.