Backpacking/Hiking

kaseyr1505
kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My husband and I are doing a 3 day backpacking trip. It should be about 55-60 miles, and 9,600 ft of elevation changes.

Right now, I have a few more vanity pounds to lose, but nothing major (5-10lbs). Is it safe to eat a small (250-500) calorie deficit, or should I try to eat closer to my maintenance? Because I was going to be fairly active for 3 days, I wasn't sure if I should be feeding my body what it needs instead of trying to lose weight. I am going to be estimating calorie burns based off of previous hikes, and prelogging/packing food, so I can be as accurate as possible with the limited technology.

Replies

• freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    That sounds like an amazing trip. I would just focus on making sure you have the right type and quantity of food to keep you fueled for the hike so that you enjoy it as much as possible. If you gain a little weight that can always be taken care of once you return to the comparative doldrums of your everyday life.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    First off, three days isn't going to make a real difference whatever you do.

I would not strive for a deficit. Do you really want to be weak/faint when carrying your house on your back?

One big problem when backpacking is carrying enough calories to replace what you burn. I would eat as much as able with no remorse.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    First off, three days isn't going to make a real difference whatever you do.

I would not strive for a deficit. Do you really want to be weak/faint when carrying your house on your back?

One big problem when backpacking is carrying enough calories to replace what you burn. I would eat as much as able with no remorse.

I'm not too terribly worried about gaining weight. Like I said, they're vanity pounds.

My pack is only 18-22 pounds (depending on how much water I'm carrying) so that's really very light. My husband planned on taking MREs for the meals, each of those can pack 1,250 calories! Couple that with a few snacks, and I'd be set, considering my calorie needs are going to be between 4,000-4,200.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! When I talked with my doctor, she wasn't very helpful.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If you are trying to lose weight, I see no reason why you wouldn't maintain a deficit. With the additional activity, your deficit will be a smaller percentage of your TDEE than normal. You'll probably find it easier to maintain your deficit than you usually do.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    My husband and I are doing a 3 day backpacking trip. It should be about 55-60 miles, and 9,600 ft of elevation changes.

Right now, I have a few more vanity pounds to lose, but nothing major (5-10lbs). Is it safe to eat a small (250-500) calorie deficit, or should I try to eat closer to my maintenance? Because I was going to be fairly active for 3 days, I wasn't sure if I should be feeding my body what it needs instead of trying to lose weight. I am going to be estimating calorie burns based off of previous hikes, and prelogging/packing food, so I can be as accurate as possible with the limited technology.

Eat at maintenance. Your body will thank you and so will your spirit. Enjoy the trip - it sounds awesome!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Eat hearty and fuel up. Extended endurance activities require your body stores to be completely filled up or you will bonk at some point. That's a long distance and hefting those extra 20 lbs you will be carrying up and down over nearly 10K feet of elevation change will burn through a lot of calories. Also if you will be doing this at a higher elevation than you are accustomed to, the lower oxygen levels will put your body under that much more stress. Enjoy!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Its 3 days. Eat at a level that allows you to enjoy the trip. Which, covering that distance is going to be a lot.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    It's too hard to estimate the calories burned on a full day hiking. Every time I go backpacking, whether 1 day or two weeks, I eat as much calories as I can get in (which is not a ton considering you have limited pack space). Pretty much without fail I'm 3-5 pounds heavier when I get back. And every time it's water weight and it's gone and then some after a couple days of recovery. Fuel your hike and stay hydrated. Have fun and don't worry about the calories.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Do what works for you to be able to enjoy your trip.
    I find that 2500 calories a day whilst on a short (2-4 days) multi-day trip works for me. (500g food per day at my ideal 500 Kcal per 100g). I know that I'll be burning a bit more, but I eat to satisfy hunger and perceived energy demands and the trips have no overall effect on my weight.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    You don't have to throw out your routine but in the backcountry I would simply eat what works for me and would be sure we were packing enough to meet our energy needs plus spare for emergency of course. Backpacking is a high exertion endurance activity; weight, elevation change, heat - all contribute to burning more calories than a simple walk in the woods.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    I hope you enjoy your trip, it sounds like a lot of fun. Take a camera and bring back some photos to share :)
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    I always just eat whatever I want when backpacking. Not worth it to be expending all that energy and trying to stay warm in the mountains at night and not be properly fed. Especially if you're doing close to 20 miles a day! That's a lot for backpacking, especially with a lot of elevation thrown in.

I wanna know how you get a pack that light?!?! Mine's always 30+ even for a 3-4 day trip.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    I backpack with my husband and I burn upwards of 2000 calories over my TDEE some days. I wore my fitbit and heart rate monitor on a test hike (day trip but with fully loaded 22 pound pack) a few weeks ago. We went 12 miles with a 2200-2500 ft elevation gain. My fitbit and heart rate monitor both came in at approximately 1800 calories burned over my TDEE (I'm 5'6" and 162 pounds). So eat and eat a lot because chances are, even with your MREs you'll have a deficit. Try not to, though, because a hike like that is killer. You need the calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I backpack with my husband and I burn upwards of 2000 calories over my TDEE some days. I wore my fitbit and heart rate monitor on a test hike (day trip but with fully loaded 22 pound pack) a few weeks ago. We went 12 miles with a 2200-2500 ft elevation gain. My fitbit and heart rate monitor both came in at approximately 1800 calories burned over my TDEE (I'm 5'6" and 162 pounds). So eat and eat a lot because chances are, even with your MREs you'll have a deficit. Try not to, though, because a hike like that is killer. You need the calories.

^^ This. Don't underestimate how much you'll be burning on those days. You need to keep your body going.