Heavy lifting

Options
So I want to start lifting.
I see alot of women who have lost weight by lifting heavy.
I just dont know what type of lifting I should be doing.
Should I be doing dumb bell curls, laying on my back, squats with weights????
I just need a little guidance, but I definitely think it will help with my weight loss, as I have seen it help others.

Thanks in advance for your help....

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Pick a full body lifting routine. A few that you can google to find the details on are Stronglifts 5x5, Wendler 5/3/1, AllPro's beginner routine, Strong Curves, and New Rules of Lifting for women. The core exercises for all of those are compound exercises (bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc.) which means that they work more than one muscle at a time. Each program will tell you what equipment is needed, how much weight to use, how to progress weight-wise and rep-wise.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you need to keep eating in a calorie deficit.
    I would suggest looking into a beginner program like starting strength, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman...
    if you are not familiar with compound movements = squat, deadlift, bench press, etc, then you may want to get a few sessions with a person trainer to teach you proper form, or you can just look up some videos on you tube and self teach yourself form ...
    make sure you get adequate protein to minimize muscle loss..most recommend about .8 grams per pound of body weight, and about .4 for fats, and fill in rest with carbs or whatever you desire.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    bootcamp85 wrote: »
    So I want to start lifting.
    I see alot of women who have lost weight by lifting heavy.
    I just dont know what type of lifting I should be doing.
    Should I be doing dumb bell curls, laying on my back, squats with weights????
    I just need a little guidance, but I definitely think it will help with my weight loss, as I have seen it help others.

Thanks in advance for your help....
    You should be going into the gym with a plan, don't just mess around with random machines or dumbbells. Go in knowing what you're going to do, how many and what weight.
    StrongLifts and Starting Strength are great novice routines. I've heard good things about New Rules of Lifting for Women too. If you google any of these it should be pretty easy to find the routine.

And yes, DEFINITELY squat with weights!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Pick a full body lifting routine. A few that you can google to find the details on are Stronglifts 5x5, Wendler 5/3/1, AllPro's beginner routine, Strong Curves, and New Rules of Lifting for women. The core exercises for all of those are compound exercises (bench press, squats, deadlifts, etc.) which means that they work more than one muscle at a time. Each program will tell you what equipment is needed, how much weight to use, how to progress weight-wise and rep-wise.

I think wendlers may be a tad advanced for a beginner....
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you wont lose weight by lifting heavy. but it will make you feel good. you will lose weight by being in a calorie deficit.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    lifting has made a world of difference for me in regard to body composition, body image, and health. all of the programs above are a great start, and bodybuilding.com has amazing short little clips that show you how do almost any lift you can think of.,,,plus tons of articles regarding lifting and fat loss, etc. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

There is a beginner's program in Wendler's book on page 90. It is called 5/3/1 for Beginners.
  • bootcamp85
    bootcamp85 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you wont lose weight by lifting heavy. but it will make you feel good. you will lose weight by being in a calorie deficit.

Thanks....and yep I understand the calorie deficit.....I just want to tone as well as lose weight and I know it will make my body look better
  • bootcamp85
    Options
    nellyett wrote: »
    lifting has made a world of difference for me in regard to body composition, body image, and health. all of the programs above are a great start, and bodybuilding.com has amazing short little clips that show you how do almost any lift you can think of.,,,plus tons of articles regarding lifting and fat loss, etc. :)

Thanks....
  • ndj1979
    Options

There is a beginner's program in Wendler's book on page 90. It is called 5/3/1 for Beginners.

oh ok, I was not aware of that ...I always considered it an intermediate to advanced program, but I have never run it...
  • bootcamp85
    Options
    you need to keep eating in a calorie deficit.
    I would suggest looking into a beginner program like starting strength, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman...
    if you are not familiar with compound movements = squat, deadlift, bench press, etc, then you may want to get a few sessions with a person trainer to teach you proper form, or you can just look up some videos on you tube and self teach yourself form ...
    make sure you get adequate protein to minimize muscle loss..most recommend about .8 grams per pound of body weight, and about .4 for fats, and fill in rest with carbs or whatever you desire.

Thanks.....Im looking on Youtube right now