Parsnips, where have you been all my life?!

Options
tekkiechikk
tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
edited May 2015 in Recipes
Just discovered the joys of parsnips. They were always one of those (to me) exotic vegetables that I'd seen in the grocery store but never tried. Saw a discussion on MFP recently about making parsnip fries so boldly marched into the produce aisle after work and bought a few and made them last night. Prepared with just a misting of olive oil and some salt and baked at 420 for about 20 minutes.

Heavenly. Simply heavenly!

If you've got any other good parsnip recipes, I'm all ears (and mouth). :smiley:

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite vegetables.

Roasted along with other root veggies is definitely my favorite too...but also very good mashed or if you have the calories to spare, caramelized with some butter and brown sugar.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love parsnips too! I make a "hash" with shredded parsnips and carrots. Fry up 3 slices of bacon (more if you like) sautee the shredded parnsips and carrots (about 5-6 of each) in a bit of the reserved bacon fat. Add S&P and seasoning (whatever you like, but fennel is nice) and add back in the chopped up bacon once the hash is softened. I divide this mixture into 4 servings and eat with eggs for breakfast.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea. I'll have to try that. I love sweet potato fries, but I'm always happy to try something new and different for this sort of thing. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love parsnips as well. Simply roasted and finished with a drizzle of honey.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    what do they taste like?
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I felt this same way about radishes once I roasted them. Parsnips are on the list but I rarely get to a regular grocery store in order to get them.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I like baked sweet potato fries, too, but I think parsnips are a little more solid. I was surprised at how sweet tasting they become when they are baked. I have never tried roasting radishes, that might be my next big adventure along with mashing parsnips.

The parsnip hash is intriguing. I'm pretty sure my bacon-loving husband would eat this.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I love tunips,either peeled & simmered till done & drained. Smash with a fork...add butter S & P. You can also peel & dice,add to veggie soup in place of potatoes.
    Saute in a hot skillet along with onion & any color peppers.Serve with scrambled eggs.