Senior Citizen trying to gain weight back.

Options
I am new to this program. I have Stress-Related IBS and was put on a Gluten-Free Diet even though I tested negative for Celiac Disease. The GF diet caused me to lose over five pounds in two month. Thank goodness, I was taken off of it since it did not help my IBS at all. My Nutritionist has suggested that I aim for 1500 calories per day by snacking healthfully between meals.

Would love to "meet" other people who are trying to gain weight, since this app is definitely geared to those who want to lose weight!

Replies

• Malibugrammie
    Malibugrammie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you Joan. Most of us here gained weight by eating too much of everything. When my mom was trying to gain weight, she ate pasta and ice cream every night until she gained some weight. There are drinks like Ensure that give you some extra calories. Drink that in addition to your regular meals - as a beverage. It should put some weight on you too.
  • JoanWolckenhauer
    JoanWolckenhauer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. Unfortunately, I am lactose intolerant and cannot eat ice cream. Sure wish I could. My Nutritionist tried me on VHC Boost but it didn't agree with me and caused me to lose my appetite for real food. I am having both a Sigmoidoscopy and an Endoscopy this coming Wednesday. At least 15 doctors have said that my problem is "just" Stress-Related IBS. My Colonoscopies have been fine. I hope these two UGLY tests come out okay. We are downsizing this Fall so my stress level is sky high as are my IBS symptoms.
  • louismurphy98
    louismurphy98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hi, I've been on protein shakes for about a month, you said they took away your appetite for real food? Same here, but after a few weeks it finally came back. Now I'm having both and I've gone from 10st to 10st and 3lbs.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Have you looked in to FODMAPs? They cause ibs like symptoms....

Adding healthy fats to your meals will help increase calories without alot of volume - good oils on salad or vegies, butter, coconut oil, oily fish, fattier meats, whole eggs etc.