So who is getting the Apple watch to help with their fitness goals?

Options
I currently have a fitbit but I don't think it's accurate so I stopped using it. I also cannot work out without my polar hrm and watch. I feel naked without it!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for 2.0
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    not getting that, but I really miss my Vivofit....I wore it from December to just about a week ago when it fell off (I think it fell off and was flushed down the toilet, LOL). With mother's day coming I asked for a Fitbit Charge HR. I can't wait for it to come in!!!!
  • neishaw
    neishaw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! Down the toilet? I'm all for getting whatever gadget that will help you get and stay motivated.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Apple watch has issues if you have wrist/arm tattoos.
  • neishaw
    Options
    I'm tattoo free!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think it's a marketeer's dream

I love my toys (fitbit flex/zip and polar ft4 HRM) BUT toys have limits and a wristband 24 hour HRM? Yeah ....I'm not buying into that
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love gadgets, especially Apple ones, but waiting for 2.0 and more information/reports is the thing to do.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying mine. I like the fact it just sits passively being a watch, but recording all this useful data for me to analyse later. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially when you are having a lazy morning and it keeps poking you to stand up every hour. I'm letting it have it's way for now to see how annoying it is. Already it's beginning to sink into the background of my psyche and my general activity level is creeping up to stop it nagging me, so I guess it is working.

The HRM seems to be as accurate as my polar strap and at least the battery doesn't die and need replacing, I just need to charge it every night, and I found wetting up and strapping on the chest strap on the polar became too much like hard work when at the gym, so I stopped bothering.

If you get a lot of mail/texts it could be intrusive but mine are at a manageable level so it's useful having the on wrist notification. Not sure I'll ever get used to answering phonecalls by shouting into my wrist though, get very strange looks.
  • neishaw
    Options
    Crawflowr wrote: »
    I'm enjoying mine. I like the fact it just sits passively being a watch, but recording all this useful data for me to analyse later. Takes a bit of getting used to, especially when you are having a lazy morning and it keeps poking you to stand up every hour. I'm letting it have it's way for now to see how annoying it is. Already it's beginning to sink into the background of my psyche and my general activity level is creeping up to stop it nagging me, so I guess it is working.

The HRM seems to be as accurate as my polar strap and at least the battery doesn't die and need replacing, I just need to charge it every night, and I found wetting up and strapping on the chest strap on the polar became too much like hard work when at the gym, so I stopped bothering.

If you get a lot of mail/texts it could be intrusive but mine are at a manageable level so it's useful having the on wrist notification. Not sure I'll ever get used to answering phonecalls by shouting into my wrist though, get very strange looks.

Do you have the apple watch already?
  • neishaw
    Options
    I'm not trying to micro track my calories. I use the polar to see how I'm performing during workouts.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do have the watch already. I'll put my hands up to being a sad apple fan girl , so was there at 8am on the 10th of April hitting the log in button on the store. I ordered my husbands large black watch first and it was already at a June delivery by the time I got through the order process, fortunately I wanted the small white one which wasn't as popular so got it day one.

As I say I'm letting it rule for 21 days in the hope it becomes a habit I can live with. It is working so far. Though it's having a problem with the steps link to MFP this last few days and has tripled the number of steps I did yesterday.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Man, I sure wish I could think of a way to sell a gadget to you guys. I hope everyone takes them with a grain of salt. They are total crap. Do your research. Why is this such a big deal. Find your maintenance calories. Then, eat a little less than that to lose. No need to micro-track your calories.

Exactly! I have a cheap Fitbit Charge I bought off eBay for $85, and have no need for anything else. Besides, only 18 hours on a single charge on the Apple Watch when I can get 10-12 days on my Fitbit?? Ridiculous...
  • bja420
    bja420 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Apple Watch! I bike 20+ miles and it is very accurate with my HR, distance, and calories burned as compared to my Polar HR strap and odometer on my bike. It also controls my music that is streaming from my Bluetooth headphones without me having to mess with my phone during the ride. Plus I can easily reply to important texts or calls from my family without having to pull out my phone. I've had it for over two weeks now and have not had one problem. You can control what notifications you want. I'm a very active person and still have 40-60% of battery life left at the end of the day. Charging it at bedtime is not a problem, I've never worn my watch during sleep anyway. I've owned a Jawbone, Fitbit, Polar HR chest strap, Mio HR wrist monitor, and others and these don't even come close to comparing to the Apple Watch!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    waiting for 2.0 as well. My HRM should be good till then
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    40% left at the end of the day? Wow. If only every other device could die so quickly and still require a phone for functionality.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not going to waste the money.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mine is scheduled to come in June. I wasn't going to get one because I have to bring my phone on my run either way, but I like that I can easily access my playlist and my running app (see distance, MPH, etc) from my wrist. Otherwise, I cannot access these at all with the waist belt that I currently use to carry my phone in. I don't like using an armband to hold my phone because it feels too bulky. I don't like wearing a watch to bed anyway, so charging it every night is no different than having to charge my phone every night. I have been eyeing up the fitbit charge anyway, so I figured I'd go with the Apple watch so I can access my apps as well.