Question about running shoes

Hi,

I've just spent about a month's wages on a pair of Brooks Glycerin 12s. When I put them on in the shop and ran around a bit they felt great, really cushiony and supportive, but now wearing them around the house to break them in I'm getting really achy arches. Should I stick with them or have I bought the wrong shoe? I bought them because I want to start to train for a marathon next year and I couldn't go any further than 5K in my Nike's without getting debilitating blisters :(

These say they're for medium/high arches but I don't know what I've got? The woman in the shop did a gait analysis and everything so they should be ok, but I'm worried I've spent loads of money just to have painful feet and still not be able to run a marathon! These are my first proper running shoes so any advice from anyone that knows what they're talking about would be great :)

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Some thoughts...

They might not be the right shoes for you. Sometimes that happens.

Especially if your old shoes were *old* shoes, you are probably not used to so much cushioning. And not everyone is comfortable with a ton of cushioning in any case. It might just be a matter of getting used to them. I, personally, like a bit more structure/firmness to my shoes for long distances, although not to the minimalist extent. On the other hand, cushioning is the hot new running shoe trend, so there's that. ;)

If you want to or have to stick with these shoes for money reasons, you could try popping in some insoles.

"Achy arches" for me are tied to the beginnings of plantar fasciitis, and generally go away with foot massage and stretching my calves and hips.

Also, I know you didn't ask for advice about this, but considering hanging out at the half marathon distance for a little while before pushing for a full marathon. You can definitely handle the cardio/aerobic aspect, easily, but it's worth it to give your muscles and bones time to build up the necessary strength to finish strong and without injury. :) (I say this unwanted because--I *didn't* wait, and my first marathon was not a good experience.)
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I had a similar experience with badminton shoes. Felt nice in the shop, played 2 games and my arches were cramping up. I returned them to the store and got store credit. If you bought them from a good sport shop they should be willing to exchange them for a different pair if you only wore them once or twice...
  • louiseg13
    louiseg13 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks :) I've got a 26 week marathon training programme but am planning to do a half at that point and then a full one around 6 months later, do you think that's enough time? I've been running 5K 1-3 times a week for a couple of years and the occasional 10-12K, so am not totally new to running, but of course that's completely different to longer distances.
    How do I know if I have the right type of arches for these shoes, and does it matter? Or could it just be that I'm doing them up too tight? (although any looser and they slip off the back a little bit, but I'm allowing for my feet swelling when I run)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here's an idea in case you can't exchange the shoes. Do you have this gadget where you live?

http://www.footmapping.ca/

I used it to buy custom inserts that greatly relieved my plantar's. I put them in my running shoes. Big difference.

Also, for blisters, bodyglide and wicking socks.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh, six extra months is awesome; I did something like C213.1 and then say, "Hey, I can just jump into week 3 of a marathon program from here!" That should definitely give you time to build up slowly enough.

Pronation, arches...yeah, I guess that could make a difference. But honestly, the research shows that people are just as likely to have problems in shoes they get professionally fitted (based on pronation and arches) versus picking out ones based on how they look. (Probably within limits--you don't want to jump right into a zero-drop minimalist shoe). Bottom line, if they're not working for you, they're not working for you.

Why not go back to the store and explain your problem? See if something a little more stable might work better for you. Brooks Ravenna, Saucony Guide, Asics GT-2000 come to mind (and run around the 100-120 price point instead of 150). Also, did the Nikes give you blisters from the beginning, or just as they wore out? Because if you were blister-free in them for awhile, you might want to consider sticking with the brand that works for your foot. (If you've always had blisters with them, DEFINITELY change brands. Like, I 100% cannot wear Asics in their current fit. Blister bomb.)

Too-tight laces hurt across the top of my foot, not the bottom.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Do you have medium to high arches? I use those exact shoes and love them (along with Brooks Dyad 8's). But I have very low arches, almost flat footed.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2015
    OK, I may have been wrong about the medium to high arches being a bad fit for the Glycerin's, these accomodate medium to high arches (yet work great for my low arches). You should still get a second opinion, I think though. Maybe it is your gait as opposed to your arches that aren't compatible.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I'm no foot expert, but any new sport shoes that hurt within the first 15-20 minutes I would return to the store and ask for an exchange. These things are supposed to be comfortable. The only exception would be completely changing the style of shoe (going from a cushy running shoe to a minimalist shoe, for example) but they shouldn't be uncomfortable just walking around your house.

For my old shoes, at one point they started hurting and I just changed the inner sole and now they feel as comfortable as ever. So that's also an option.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Do you have medium to high arches? I use those exact shoes and love them (along with Brooks Dyad 8's). But I have very low arches, almost flat footed.

this. I got the Dyad 7s last year. Great for flatter feet
  • louiseg13
    edited May 2015
    Cheshirecat, I'd rather do it quicker but 1) it will be winter and 2) I have similarly jumped into things too soon before and ended up out of action with no toenails! So I've learnt my lesson and will take it slower this time! I've always had blisters with two pairs of Nike's but they were both birthday presents so not much I could do about it. I'm going to wear these in for a couple of days indoors and if they're still bad I'll see if I can exchange them, although I tried on about 10 pairs in the shop and these seemed like the best :/

jgnatca I haven't seen footmapping before but I will prob try some insoles as well and see if that helps, I have blister socks and use vaseline but it doesn't help, hence investing in new shoes :)

I don't know what type of arches I have, how can I tell?
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I can put about 400 to 500 miles on the shoes before replacing so track your miles. Never wear cotton socks. I have also been letting my running store cut the soles of my shoes to add some additional flex. It feels weird taking a new 130 dollar shoe through the band saw but it works for me.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    After years with New Balance I converted to Brooks. Love the cushioning of the Adrenaline 14s although it did take some getting used to - much cheaper shoe and now that its an older model I purchased several on sale. I mark the date I start running in the shoes and swap them out after 6 months as well.

Is this a matter of conditioning your feet to sustained running? Your feet will react differently to household use vs. running long distance.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    I would highly recommend taking them back to the store where you bought them to see if you can exchange if an insert doesn't help. Since I am pretty new to running, I made sure to purchase my shoes at a store that will take them back with no questions asked within 2 weeks and up to 30 days exchange. There are a couple different shoe stores in my area that offer that guarantee. Good luck with your training!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    One should NEVER ever, ever, ever, ever have to "break-in" running shoes. If the salesman says you do, go elsewhere. I'm no expert but I have a few marathon's under my belt and I have high arches. Brooks Glycerin's worked great for my neutral gait but required a high arch insole (Lynco L400).

See if this offers any insight.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor

• WhatMeRunning
    I originally used this to determine what kind of arches I had. It told me I had medium arches. It turns out I have low arches, in between medium and flat footed. So this is not perfectly exact, but gets you in the ballpark.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    If you just bought them, the shop should take them back. Most have a 30 day return policy. When you go back, if they have a treadmill for trying out shoes, use it. I often find that I don't notice arch problems -- unless the arches are really weird on my feet -- until after a mile or so. Sometimes a shoe may fit well for your foot width or your pronation, but won't be in the right place/height for your arch, and that means it's not the right shoe for you.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited May 2015
    If I can do this to a pair of my shoes, I know I will be happy with them....
    ovsgtrvx8daq.jpg
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    If I can do this to a pair of my shoes, I know I will be happy with them....
    ovsgtrvx8daq.jpg

@lonewolfrunner - nice :-)
  • louiseg13
    Well, I phoned the shop and asked if they would take them back if I went out in them and found they still weren't right, they said as long as they didn't seem worn, which I had no problem with because I got shin splints in the first 2 minutes! So they definitely aren't right for me, but now I have no idea what is, considering these felt by far the best in the shop. Perhaps I'll buy the ones that feel most uncomfortable in the shop and they'll turn out to be the best ones when I get them home :/