Orville redenbacher's gourmet popping corn ultimate butter confusion???

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
Orville redenbacher's gourmet popping corn ultimate butter, popped came to 2.3 oz popped (68 grams) I repopped the unpopped kernels till almost all popped and weighed it out. A cup is 6 oz and the package claims 4.5 cups popped @ 2 servings per bag (9 cups) but weight is 2.3 ounces (2 and 1/3 cups popped) whole bag. I put down the calories for the whole bag popped, regardless, but this is curious to me.

Replies

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A bit confused. Are you asking why popped corn and the kernels weigh different amounts or are you asking about volume vs weight measurements?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Microwave popcorn labels have never made sense to me.
  • uvi5
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    A bit confused. Are you asking why popped corn and the kernels weigh different amounts or are you asking about volume vs weight measurements?

I popped the bag, emptied it into a bowl on my scale (zero'd out) then popped the remaining kernels in the bag till every kernel was popped and added that to the bowl on the scale. It came to 2.3 ounces (68 grams) for every kernel popped. Measured in actual cups to see if it was 9 cups popped in measure cups as well, but that was just a bit over 4 cups (which 4.5 is approximately 1 serving, but the bag is supposed to be 2.5 servings). Calories per serving (on box) says 160 x 2.5 = 400 ( logged it at 2 servings). I was just curious because the weight after every kernel popped came to 68 grams (2.3 cups) and measured in actual cups just a bit over 4 cups.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I went ahead and changed my log for the whole bag as stated on the box for "about 2.5 servings" as 400 calories, but it's still bewildering to me :confounded::lol:
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten how bad Orville Redenbacher is about leaving popcorn unpopped until you mentioned repopping it. I splurge and buy Pop-secret or Market Pantry popcorn because I hat unpopped corn so much.

You cannot compare the weight of popped popcorn to unpopped popcorn because the popping process turns the moisture in the kernals into a gas, which breaks open the kernel and dissipates. Since there are 2.5 servings in the bag, then you should multiply the 160 by 2.5.
  • uvi5
    Options
    I'd forgotten how bad Orville Redenbacher is about leaving popcorn unpopped until you mentioned repopping it. I splurge and buy Pop-secret or Market Pantry popcorn because I hat unpopped corn so much.

You cannot compare the weight of popped popcorn to unpopped popcorn because the popping process turns the moisture in the kernals into a gas, which breaks open the kernel and dissipates. Since there are 2.5 servings in the bag, then you should multiply the 160 by 2.5.

I went ahead and already had done that and logged it in my food diary as 400 calories. I tried this as an experiment, enjoyed the relatively small amount popped, but none the less, seems like a lot of calories for such a small amount ha ha. Fortunately I have plenty of calories left for a good dinner :wink:
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    Perhaps, you could look for a different brand that has fewer calories? Pop-secret has a product that is supposed to be 6 cups popped per bag and only has 100 calories. I've also seen some that are only 150 calories per bag.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Popcorn math is evil. I only buy the little 100 calorie bags because I don't even want to try and figure it out.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i use orville too
    every night

my label says 40 gr unpopped is 120 calories
    So i way off my 40 gram ( well i take mostly 2.5 servings lol) and thats it. Not going to weigh them when they are popped.

And do this for almost 6 months now every evening Losing weight fine.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. I don't know why they even put "unpopped" calories on there because who the hell eats unpopped pop corn?

What I want to know is how many calories are in the bag of popcorn!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    oops wait i see now you use something else from orville. I have the big bottles for air popping popcorn.

sslsgsvg6sp9.jpg
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    I thought I was the only one. I don't know why they even put "unpopped" calories on there because who the hell eats unpopped pop corn?

What I want to know is how many calories are in the bag of popcorn!

Probably because they calculate the calories based on the weight of the corn they put in the bag, then they calculate the popped calories by subtracting the weight of the kernels they expect will not pop.
  • uvi5
    Options
    Perhaps, you could look for a different brand that has fewer calories? Pop-secret has a product that is supposed to be 6 cups popped per bag and only has 100 calories. I've also seen some that are only 150 calories per bag.

I do have another brand, but thought I'd test it out. I got this box on the clearance isle at Walmart. It was worth a try. No harm done, just working out a bit extra hard so I can have a good dinner and desert :smiley: