Weighing yourself

So, I preface the fact that I have lost 40+ pounds in nearly 6 months time. I weigh myself once a week at the same time (Wednesday mornings). Is that what most do? However, I think my scale is goofy. I have an analog scale and I don't look at the first reading. I step off and back on three times and it gives me the same reading those three times consistently. For the first time this morning, I had 4 different results! How could I go from (in consecutive weeks) losing 3, gaining 2, losing .6, losing 3.8 to gaining 2.6! I am religious to this app and I work out consistently. Guessing maybe I should get the old style scales? Are they more reliable? Spent about $35 on this "Taylor" brand at Walmart. The ONLY time I've been to Walmart.

Replies

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I weigh every day and my scale can jump 4 pounds if I had a lot of carbs/salt the night before. That's why I prefer to weigh every day and average the result with an app. Those measurements are up and down, but the overall trend seems to be down, so don't get discouraged.

As for the scale, I have a digital one I got for 50$CAD, but I can step on it 3 times in a row and it will give me the same result ±0.1 pound.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    My scale fluctuates around the same 5-7 pounds in any given week. I only record it on Sundays, and then only if there's a loss or gain of a) a pound or more that's b) lasted at least two days.

For instance, this week I weighed in on Sunday at 229.2, Monday at 234.6, Tuesday at 233.8, and today at 229.4. I'll keep weighing all week and bounce around like that, then on Saturday if I weigh in at... say... 228, I'll check again on Sunday and if I'm still down I'll record a new loss. If I weigh on Saturday at 231 I'll check again on Sunday and if I'm still there, I'll record a gain.

Really, don't sweat it too much. Daily weighing is useful for learning your hormonal cycles, the effects sodium and carbs have on your body's water retention, and the patterns in which your body retains water after exercise. It's not useful for recording.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    I have a digital Taylor glass scale and I calibrate it by stepping on it, letting it go to zero, and waiting till it turns off. I've had it for like a year now and haven't had any issues. (And I'd like it to stay that way!) But it sounds like you might need some new batteries.

P.S. I'm confused at the type of scale you have, analog refers to the ones with a needle, but from your post I'm gathering that you have a digital scale.
  • DWiz2626
    DWiz2626 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks. My bad, it's digital. Wth, analog?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Step on it once and record that weight. I only get on more to confirm a huge swing in either direction (as I weigh every day). Your weight fluctuates constantly due to several factors, so just make sure you're seeing a downward trend over a 4-6 week period.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,430 Member
    Are you using the scale on a hard surface? Or carpet?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Time to change the batteries?
  • DWiz2626
    DWiz2626 Posts: 12 Member
    All I had to do was turn the scale over and read the directions! Nice. I was more curious how often people weigh themselves. The bottom line is that I am losing weight! I just had this little hiccup.