Are my expectations unrealistic?

2»

Replies

• BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Could be water weight. I weigh myself every day and sometimes I will gain two or three pounds on Monday, only have lost it again on Tuesday. (Or vice versa--but let's not talk about that, too depressing!)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    JeraldTX wrote: »
    Someone once gave me the advice, "Ignore the numbers on the scale, focus on your nutrition and your work-outs, aim for being healthy and feeling good about yourself and the numbers on the scale will work themselves out." Kind of a "Zen" Archery approach.

Oh, and yes after a few weeks of working out your increase in muscle mass will begin to offset your losses in body fat. Remember for a given volume muscle is five times heavier than fat.

Um, no.....no it won't.

computer-facepalm.gif

I wish it would.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member
    edited May 2015
    Oh, and yes after a few weeks of working out your increase in muscle mass will begin to offset your losses in body fat. Remember for a given volume muscle is five times heavier than fat.

That is not true at all. You do not accidentally gain muscle mass of any significance. Especially as a woman in a calorie deficit.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    I think setting a time table for your body to lose weight is almost always unrealistic. Eating healthy and at a deficit, adjusting based on results that are averaged over weeks....expecting gains, losses and plateu ....that is par for the course
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Someone once gave me the advice, "Ignore the numbers on the scale, focus on your nutrition and your work-outs, aim for being healthy and feeling good about yourself and the numbers on the scale will work themselves out." Kind of a "Zen" Archery approach.

Um, no.....no it won't.

computer-facepalm.gif

I wish it would.

I know, right.....imagine the deficit gainz.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Do you weigh all your food and a food scale or also use measuring cups?

My guess is when you didn't lose anything in 4 weeks that you eat at maintenance level.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member

Um, no.....no it won't.

computer-facepalm.gif

^^ Some real, honest, INFORMED answers in this thread. OP, if you have two schools of thought, look at results and do research. There's bad information out there about the whole fat/muscle debate
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

My guess is when you didn't lose anything in 4 weeks that you eat at maintenance level.

@TheOwlhouseDesigns - She just didn't lose on her 4th week. She lost weight weeks 1-3.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015

@TheOwlhouseDesigns - She just didn't lose on her 4th week. She lost weight weeks 1-3.

Dang mis-read that one lol
    Sorry!

Really thought she meant 4 weeks without loss. :)

• JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member

Um, no.....no it won't.

computer-facepalm.gif

It astounds me how many people still think this.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

People have already touched on this but no and no.

Muscle mass growth for a woman working in a hypertrophy program is generally less than 1/2lb per week. And it requires significant calories, it just does not occur during a deficit. For someone losing 2lbs of fat per week, they will not be seeing that type of muscle gain. Not unless you use drugs.

Also the density of muscle is NOT five time that of fat. The density of fat is about 0.9 g/cm3 while the density of lbm is in the range 1.07 to 1.13 g/cm3. Muscle is only at most 25% heavier per volume than fat.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Sometimes when you set yourself targets it cna be moivational, but others it cna be a rod to break your own back. Absorb some of the advice already given about expected weight loss an reappraise your thoughts on how your weight loss will go or it could cause more trouble than its worth.