How accurate do you think......

This site is for losing 1lb a week? or even 1/2lb a week?

Just wondering because other sites I have visited give me almost double the numbers more or 500 calories less than here. I'd just like to hear from those that have used it a long time how accurate you think it is with it's numbers?

Replies

• tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    I'm set to maintain at the moment because I'm pregnant but I was losing 1.5-2 pounds per week before. I was eating about 1500 calories. The numbers seemed to be right on track, but everyone is different. I lost 50 pounds last year and I credit my weight loss 99% to this website.
  • FrostAyy
    FrostAyy Posts: 23 Member
    I've been using this website for about 100 days now. MFP says I'll lose 2 pounds a week if I eat 1800 calories a day. I only lose one pound a week being pretty close to that goal, so I don't think this website is too accurate.
  • joeherbert48
    joeherbert48 Posts: 47 Member
    thanks that's what I needed to hear. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I have mine set to loose .5 pounds a week and in the last 11 weeks I've lost 11 pounds.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    It comes down to accurate logging and your own body. I'm set to lose 2lbs a week and i've lost 2, 3, and 4 and not just during the first week of water weight. I think it's pretty accurate.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    jaqcan wrote: »
    It comes down to accurate logging and your own body. I'm set to lose 2lbs a week and i've lost 2, 3, and 4 and not just during the first week of water weight. I think it's pretty accurate.

I agree. I found it was my logging that was inaccurate. I weigh everything and I'm losing my 2lb every week
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member

Just wondering because other sites I have visited give me almost double the numbers more or 500 calories less than here. I'd just like to hear from those that have used it a long time how accurate you think it is with it's numbers?

Keep in mind that MFP gives you a calorie number based SOLELY on your day-to-day activity. It does NOT include any energy burn from exercising.

Did the other website(s) include exercise calories? That would contribute to the difference for sure.

I have found the MFP numbers to work well for me - down about 17 pounds since I started using the app in mid-February :)

~Lyssa
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    The website is a tool. How accurate it is is up to you. How carefully are you logging your food? Are you weighing everything on a scale? Are you using the correct database entries? How accurate are you at estimating your exercise burns?

MFP is just a database and a logging application. You're the one who has to enter the numbers.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    It seems very accurate to me. I lost the first 40lbs of my weight in 2013 just using MFP's numbers. Now I set my own goals because I'm more educated -- I actually set a lower calorie target, higher protein & fat, and lower carbs -- but MFP's numbers would still work for weight loss. I simply have expanded my goals in this phase of my journey.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    For me it's pretty accurate
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    The calories it gives me are very accurate...I've definitely stalled before, but it was my logging, not the calories allotted.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

It's not how accurate the site is. It's how accurate you are in your logging and setting of your activity level. The site just provides a way for you to log everything.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,474 Member
    I have my profile/goals set to lose 0.5 kg/week.

I've been consistently losing just over 1 kg/week for the past 11 weeks.

I suspect the difference is because I exercise quite a bit, and tend to eat only about half my exercise calories back.
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    I've logged 116 days and have mine set to .5lb a week. I've lost an average of .7lbs a week and that's with a few breaks due to my birthday, spring break, Easter, etc.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

It's not how accurate the site is. It's how accurate you are in your logging and setting of your activity level. The site just provides a way for you to log everything.

Exactly.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2015
    Mfp says I will lose 1kg. I lose 1.0-1.2 a week on average latterly. It gets a little messy with exercise. How much am I overestimating, am I eating back the right amount etc

But I say mfp is as accurate as a non personalised program can be. So it's up to you to be as accurate with your logging.

I just had a quick check. My average the past 3 months was 1.14 kg per week. If I include back to September it's 1.28 per week. The further back I go the more I was under eating, logging worse etc