Vitamin A

Options
i have been way over my vitamin A is this unhealthy?

Replies

• marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    if it is over from eating beta carotene containing plant foods, no, if from taking supplements of pro formed vitamin a, like cod liver oil, or eating liver, than that can be bad
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Only if you're taking more than 10 000 IU. If it's less than this, you're good.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tolerable upper intake levels for Vitamin A 3000. A typical woman needs about 700 micorgrams. The ability of Vitamin a to be stored in the tissues means that, although the DRI recommendation is stated as a daily amount, you need not consume vitamin A everyday. If you are exceeding your vitamin A levels from a supplement, try to use a supplement that does not have vitamin A or a low dosage.
    With that being said, vitamin A toxicity can damage your liver, along with many other symptoms.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "way over"? It very well could be, but you'd likely know it if so.
    Too much vitamin A is actually incredibly toxic because it's a fat soluble vitamin, meaning that when you consume too much of it, you don't pee it out (like vitamin C), but your body will retain it. Therefore, some days its okay to consume less amounts of it, but you should really be careful with overdoing it.
    Back when I ate kale (I ate A LOT of it) or took supplements, I noticed horrible side effects from this. Everyone is different and can handle different amounts, so while the supplement label recommended two gummies a day, one a day was still too much for me.
    The main symptoms I noticed was bone pain, nausea, oily hair (especially around the scalp), and headaches just about every day.
    Again, everyone is different so your symptoms may be different, and these things could signify other things besides a vitamin A toxicity, as well.
    But overall too much can lead to liver damage, osteoporosis, kidney damage, and so on. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing it can also lead to birth defects? Don't quote me on that last one, though!
    The internet is very resourceful for any questions you may still have, so is your doctor! The only true way to know is blood work!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I do not think it is something to be concerned about.

I went through a course of Accutane 8 years ago, which if I'm not mistaken is comparable to 100,000 to 250,000 IU (anyone feel free to correct this). Granted, it was done under a doctors supervision with blood and urine tests, but my point is that going over on a vitamin isn't going to kill you.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Where are these vitamin A threads coming from??
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I do not think it is something to be concerned about.

I went through a course of Accutane 8 years ago, which if I'm not mistaken is comparable to 100,000 to 250,000 IU (anyone feel free to correct this). Granted, it was done under a doctors supervision with blood and urine tests, but my point is that going over on a vitamin isn't going to kill you.

Actually, going way over vitamin A for a long time can, in fact, kill you. It can also cause birth defects if you take too much while pregnant.