what do ppl on this forum mean when they say

Options
85kurtz
85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
Bioscience? I have read this term being used in a derogatory manner a few times now. I am assuming the people mean pseudo science but am unsure. Perhaps Bioscience means different things to different people.
When I was at university bioscience was any science connected with living organisms (ie. Medicine, biology, etc).

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I think you might mean broscience
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not BIO science - BRO science.

From Urban Dictionary: Broscience is the predominant brand of reasoning in bodybuilding circles where the anecdotal reports of jacked dudes are considered more credible than scientific research.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ahhh right I see. Perhaps that is what they meant. Thank you for the explanation.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    l2y818b9cqkq.jpg
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that myself. I saw where somebody responded with that word when someone else said that somebody said that low carb is the way to lose weight.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I saw where somebody responded with that word when someone else said that somebody said that low carb is the way to lose weight.

If a female said that, it's not broscience. Not sure what the female equivalent is though. Cosmoscience?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bio Science LOL

Bro Science

49b73362bbde14650191bd75bbaec576ffad719ee3ea6e657d3afbb26f249b54.jpg
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that myself. I saw where somebody responded with that word when someone else said that somebody said that low carb is the way to lose weight.

The benefits of the low-carb way of eating are not "broscience".
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's not THE way to lose weight though

It's a way to hit your calorie targets for people who are able to go low-carb for life

but it does tend to get wrapped up in bro-science ... most of which you continuously post on the boards
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's a way to hit your calorie targets for people who are able to go low-carb for life

"for life" is classic bro-science
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

"for life" is classic bro-science

Yes.
  • philreeduk
    philreeduk Posts: 51 Member
    Options

It's not THE way to lose weight though

but it does tend to get wrapped up in bro-science ... most of which you continuously post on the boards

Yup, as someone who suffers from type 1 diabetes it is rather funny when I meet people who tell me I have to switch to a low carb diet. I try explaining to them, its not that type of diabetes..but you are drowned out by a sea of people who know your condition and dieting habits better than you do!

At the end of the day it is finding something that works for you, anything that gets you moving more, eating less and eating healthier foods is all good in my books. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No, but when someone posts about hitting a plateau or wanting to lose weight and someone responds with "You're eating too many carbs" or "Cut the carbs and lose weight," it's pretty bro-like.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    fcbr8.jpg
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I saw where somebody responded with that word when someone else said that somebody said that low carb is the way to lose weight.

If a female said that, it's not broscience. Not sure what the female equivalent is though. Cosmoscience?

I can't resist - Hoscience
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

ILU

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

ILU

<G>
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    LMAO!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. I haven't heard of the term yet but now thankful to know. It's hard to weed out all the crap advice here and there.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

Ah ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!