Starting to eat and exercise according to my blood type and hoping to achieve my weight loss goal!

Replies

• Flashwit
    Flashwit Posts: 3 Member
    Wow, you're actually serious about this aren't you?

This topic is so idiotic that it actually drove me to make a post for the first time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_diet#Scientific_criticism

I don't really know what to say besides that if you actually believe this, you're far too credulous.
    Do you also believe in acupuncture, homeopathy, and 'detox'? How about we keep people away from being drawn towards things that have no basis in fact?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    DuncWinter wrote: »
    Diet for blood type...? Huh!?

Yeah - they must be running out of new ideas to sell books.

What a crock!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I heard you're much better off eating and exercising for your astrological sign.

Nooooooooo I got fat on this diet. I'm a Gemini and we're supposed to eat two of everything??? 0/10 would not recommend

This would work great for me - I'm a Pisces and love seafood ;)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Flashwit wrote: »

This topic is so idiotic that it actually drove me to make a post for the first time.

I don't really know what to say besides that if you actually believe this, you're far too credulous.
    Do you also believe in acupuncture, homeopathy, and 'detox'? How about we keep people away from being drawn towards things that have no basis in fact?
    :neutral:

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member

Don't slam acupuncture, dude! I have trigeminal neuralgia. It was the first recommended course of action by my neurologist, and it works really well for me.

The others I agree with through.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member

Don't slam acupuncture, dude! I have trigeminal neuralgia. It was the first recommended course of action by my neurologist, and it works really well for me.

The others I agree with through.
    +1
    Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years with great success.
    Great....now you're going to demand studies, aren't you?

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    The only one that sounds remotely reasonable is the O type. And even that's a stretch. Type A isn't allowed meat at all.

OP - maybe you should try creating a reasonable deficit and sticking to it? It's gotten me 78 pounds lighter!

AMG I am A+ no meat crap...forget that then...I am a meat eater and feel great when I do.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I heard you're much better off eating and exercising for your astrological sign.

Nooooooooo I got fat on this diet. I'm a Gemini and we're supposed to eat two of everything??? 0/10 would not recommend

What would us Virgos eat?

:unamused:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I googled it. Here's a snippet from my blood type:

Type A History

The Type A emerges into the 21st century with many more complex challenges than their ancestors could have imagined. The key factor in the development of Type A can be traced to the struggle for survival long ago, when there was a rapidly dwindling supply of hunting game stock. Having exhausted the great game herds of Africa, humans pushed farther out from their ancestral home into Europe and Asia. The cultivation of grains and livestock changed everything. For the first time, people were able to forego the hand to mouth lifestyle of the hunter/gatherer and establish stable communities. Over time the adaptations that produced Blood Type A were based on the need to fully utilize nutrients from carbohydrate sources. These biological adaptations can still be observed today in Type A's digestive structure. Low levels of hydrochloric acid in the stomach and high intestinal disaccharide digestive enzyme levels permit the more efficient digestion of carbohydrates. According to Dr. D'Adamo, these are also the very factors, along with low levels of intestinal alkaline phosphatase, that make it difficult for Type As to digest and metabolize animal protein and fat.

What Makes Type A Unique

Many neurochemical factors in the Type A genetic disposition favor a structured, rhythmic, harmonious life, surrounded by a positive, supportive community. The harried pace and increased sense of isolation experienced by so many in today's society often make these needs difficult to achieve. Type A best exemplifies the powerful interconnections between mind and body. This was vital to the shift away from hunting and procurement to building and growing. However, Type A's more internalized relationship to stress, which served your ancestors well, can be a challenge for the modern Type A. The Blood Type Diet's proactive mix of lifestyle strategies, hormonal equalizers, gentle exercise and specialized dietary guidelines will maximize your overall health; decrease your natural risk factors for cancer, diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The result: high performance, mental clarity, greater vitality and increased longevity.

Type A Diet

"When we discuss 'diet,' we are not talking necessarily about a weight loss plan, that's a side benefit to following this plan. We are actually discussing diet in the more traditional sense, meaning a way to eat," explains, Dr. D'Adamo. Type As flourish on a vegetarian diet - if you are accustomed to eating meat, you will lose weight and have more energy once you eliminate the toxic foods from your diet. Many people find it difficult to move away from the typical meat and potato fare to soy proteins, grains and vegetables. But it is particularly important for sensitive Type As to eat their foods in as natural a state as possible: pure, fresh and organic. "I can't emphasize enough how this critical dietary adjustment can be to the sensitive immune system of Type A. With this diet you can supercharge your immune system and potentially short circuit the development of life threatening diseases."

Handling Stress

In this busy, ever changing world, it's almost impossible to avoid every day stress. Type As have a naturally high level of the stress hormone cortisol and produce more in response to stressful situations. Cortisol is released in 24-hour patterns, typically in the early morning between six and eight A.M. with a gradual decrease during the day. It helps to cue the body's other cyclical rhythms. Due to the naturally elevated cortisol in type As, additional stress often manifests in several ways; disrupted sleep patterns, daytime brain fog, increased blood viscosity (thickening), and promotes muscle loss and fat gain. In extreme cases in Type As, stress can manifest in more serious ways, causing obsessive-compulsive disorder, insulin resistance and hypothyroidism. To help balance cortisol levels, Dr. D'Adamo recommends that you limit sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Don't skip meals, especially breakfast; eating smaller, more frequent meals will also help to stabilize blood sugar levels. He also points out that the following factors are known to increase cortisol levels and increase mental exhaustion for Type As - be aware and limit your exposure when possible:
    Crowds of people
    Loud noise
    Negative emotions
    Smoking
    Strong smells or perfumes
    Too much sugar and starch
    Overwork
    Violent TV and movies
    Lack of sleep
    Extreme weather conditions (hot or cold)

Oh this is amazing! I have been doing it ALL WRONG! Talk about the ultimate shirking of responsibility - if I get fat it is because of the sociological evolution of my ancestors moving from individualized hunter/gatherers to agricultural based communities...

Oh and I should probably go tell my boss that I need to limit my exposure to negative emotions and overwork.

all the bolded part....lol...

I am type A and none of that applies to me...I handle stress really well, sleep well, have a great immune system and eat meat..and will continue.

• emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    According to a chart I found online, I should be avoiding some of my favorite foods including coffee, bacon, avocados, yogurt, ice cream, strawberries, and pickles as those foods "act as poison". I'm certain I could not sustain a diet like that for very long, but if you can OP and that enables you to reach your weight loss goals, I wish you luck.

Here's a link to the chart if anyone is interested. It was the first link that popped up after googling "blood type diet chart".
    soulcraft.co/info/food_chart.htm
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Type AB - foods not allowed:

MEAT: Beef, chicken, cornish hens, duck, goose, pork, partridge, veal, venison, quail

SEAFOOD: All shellfish (crab, shrimp, lobster, mussels, oysters, crayfish, clam, etc), anchovy, barracuda, beluga, bluegill bass, flounder, haddock, halibut, herring, eel, frog, lox, octopus, sea bass, striped bass, turtle, yellowtail

DAIRY: American cheese, blue cheese, brie, buttermilk, camembert, ice cream, parmesan, provolone, sherbet, whole milk

FATS: Oil (corn, cottonseed, safflower, sesame, sunflower)

NUTS: Filberts, poppy seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds

BEANS: Kidney beans, lima beans, Beans (aduke, azuki, black, fava, garbanzo) black-eyed peas

VEGGIES: Artichoke, avocado, all thype of corns, lima beans, black olives, all kind of bell peppers, radishes, mung bean sprouts, radish sprouts

FRUITS: Mangoes, Guava, Coconuts, Bananas, Oranges

SPICES: Allspice, almond extract, anise, barley malt, capers, cornstarch, corn syrup, gelatin, tapioca, Vinegar, pepper (white, black, cayenne, red flakes)

DRINKS: Distilled liquor, sodas, black tea

tldr; I may as well just go and live in a cave and eat moss. I think moss is safe.
    If I ate "according to my blood type" I'd be living off tofu and the container it came in. No thanks. This sounds like an absolutely, utterly and completely miserable way to live. I wonder how many "AB" types actually follow this...

By the way, this list above constitutes a fair portion of my favourite foods. I'm still alive, so I'll take my chances.
    *hides in the corner with a pina colada, a tray full of oysters and a block of parmesan*
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    I'm type A+ so I only eat the best.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm also type O, and did this for a little while (with the addition of legumes) and got down to my ideal weight easily. I've considered going back to low-carbing because of that, but I really missed pasta, potatoes and bread, and I think I'd rather keep my extra pounds and eat those things, or keep trying to recomp and not worry about the weight. I mean, have you tried lemon ricotta ravioli?

ETA: I am in no way suggesting that my blood type had anything to do with my weight loss...it was simply easier to automatically keep a calorie deficit when cutting out starchy carbs. But I was also always hungry, and it got very expensive to eat 2 racks of ribs without sauce, or a giant steak, every time I ate out.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Cut down meat, no caffeine for type A? Hell to the no.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I'm also type O, and did this for a little while (with the addition of legumes) and got down to my ideal weight easily. I've considered going back to low-carbing because of that, but I really missed pasta, potatoes and bread, and I think I'd rather keep my extra pounds and eat those things, or keep trying to recomp and not worry about the weight. I mean, have you tried lemon ricotta ravioli?

ETA: I am in no way suggesting that my blood type had anything to do with my weight loss...it was simply easier to automatically keep a calorie deficit when cutting out starchy carbs. But I was also always hungry, and it got very expensive to eat 2 racks of ribs without sauce, or a giant steak, every time I ate out.

LOL I'm glad you added the disclaimer...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Agreed. That chart was quite confusing to me though. I'm still not sure whether I'm supposed to be eating lions or hunting down wildebeests.

I have a November birthday. Am I supposed to be eating scorpions? Damn. Better pack up and move to southeast Asia.

Could be worse. I'm a Sagittarius!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    jkwolly wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

What would us Virgos eat?

:unamused:

EVOO.

Well, the vegetarian virgos, anyway. As for the others, well...
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member

Op I suggest you listen to people who have had major success in their journey. One of them as actually replied to your post. These two success stories are ones that should point you in the right direction.
    I assure you they did not eat according to their blood type. If I were you I would send them a pm asking them what they eat and how they stuck to it.
    Best of luck but as a type O who cannot eat some of the foods that crazy man said I should eat, I can confirm it is be.

See for yourself how success is achieved:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10157437/from-263-pounds-to-128-pounds-lots-of-pictures/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10121458/from-511-to-175-a-336-lb-loss-over-5-years/p1
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Way too complicated for me. Also, I don't like things that tell me I can't have certain foods. I was looking at a chart for this and one of them was avoid monterey jack cheese, avacado, cantaloupe, blackberries, etc. Like... really? I just can't fathom it.

Good luck OP, hope you can stick to it and then not gain it all back again. Seems to me you've picked a pretty hard diet to sustain.... but good luck.
    Thanks! I find that cutting certain foods has helped me drastically being that I have the autoimmune disorder Lupus. Cutting out gluten, and dairy helps me feel alot better. I appreciate your encouraging words.

The recommendation for Type O counters the what is recommended for those with Lupus .. but continue to hype a fad diet.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Why do some people feel the need to poke fun at posts like this? Do I think this particular plan is a miracle cure? No but that's fine that doesn't mean it may not help someone. If you think it's unhealthy or wrong fine ignore it or make a post about why you don't think it's a good idea, minus the sarcasm. Those who respond something to the effect of it's the internet get over it my response is that doesn't give people the right to be jerks. Saying you're "in" for the drama that follows is a bit childish. Yes this is a bit of a rant but I just get tired of people on the forums giving others such a hard time.