Weight Loss Tip: Focus on your Macro Percentages

Options

Replies

• emmy_marino
    emmy_marino Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "Of course you want to keep your carbs down" preceding this was the guideline of keeping your carbs in the 40-60% range which is MORE than enough of a carb range to function optimally and following that comment I touch upon and stress the fact that you should NOT be depleting your carb below that threshold unless advised by a nutritionist. We focus on carbs only because it's pretty much in everything: all our cravings from sweets to salty chips are carbs carbs carbs we live in a carb paradise. I could write a blog post just on just carbs and their importance. Simple vs complex carbs and I'll refuse to use good and bad to describe carbs I'd rather use better and worse carbs depending on your goals & needs!

Second quote you pulled out was in regards to that importance of balance that I am trying to stress.

The statement "remember fruits count as carbs" is the truth they are high in natural sugar and fall into the category of carbs. I have seen the most confusion with fruits from my clients YES they are extremely healthy for you but you must balance your nutrients. I am merely referring to paying attention to the food you are consuming. This is all about learning & trying something new no negativity. You have missed the overall point of my post. Balance; a happy medium!

This app itself is just a guideline and a helping tool it's not the be all end all nor does it substitute seeing a professional.

• cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you were trying to promote balance, you are going about it the wrong way by putting a negative connotation on carbohydrates. The current trend is that carbohydrates are bad and should be avoided, just like fat used to be (and still is to a large extent). As I'm sure you are aware, there are a lot of uninformed people using this site and you shouldn't put emphasis on any one nutrient if the goal is balance. I'm sorry if you were offended by my concern and I only hope you handle upset clients with more grace.
  • Firefly_71
    Firefly_71 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Emmy, thanks for clarifying. Though I am still a bit confused on the 40 - 60 percent from carbs. 60% seems quite high to me, but I think I might be a little carb sensitive, which is why I would not eat that much.

You might enjoy checking out IIFYM.com - (short for: if it fits your macros). Their site speaks a lot about making sure your are getting enough food, to fuel your body calorie-wise, and also focuses on macros (as the name suggests :smile: )

IMHO One thing that MFP does not do a very good job of is explaining their algorithm. I listed my activity level as sedentary, but then started working out (moderately). I also was trying to eat 1200 calories a day, and not eating back any of my activity calories. I was also experimenting with a low carb high fat diet it, and eating under 40 to 50 carbs a day. Needless to say, my body did not react well, and while I had some initial success, I stopped losing weight.

Once I increased my calories, and increased my carbs (not to an extreme amount: more like 100 to 150 a day), I started losing again.

I also don't think MFP does a great job of explaining macros: or how they arrive at their calculations. This is something people have to figure out on their own via research.

One reason I find the Macro discussion useful to the weight loss discussion, is that it can help people see how important protein is to body maintenance. Our body needs protein, especially if we are working out, to maintain muscles. If we don't get enough protein, and work out aggressively, then our body will start pulling nutrients from its own muscles.

So while I agree that carbs are important to working out, getting enough protein is just as important, possibly more so.

And finally, fat. Our body needs fat. Our brains run on fat. To remain in hormonal balance (and in optimal weight loss mode) our bodies require fat. That is also why I find the Macro discussion important -- because many people who are novices to dieting and weight loss think that fat is optional, or worse bad. It is not. It is necessary, and important to maintaining good health.

Anyway... thanks for your post! I like Macro pie chart as well. Also - MFP does let you customize your Macros - you can do that under the "Goal" tab. Best!
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    icyblue13 wrote: »
    Nowhere in my post did I mention hey everyone ignore everything else that's important to your health and just focus on your Macro percentages... Simply put some people haven't even looked at that part of the app and simply and solely focus on a calorie deficit which of course is the key to weightloss ... Calories in vs calories out. Do you guys think it's healthy that hey I stayed within my calorie goal but ate 70% carbs of those calories... Obviously not! Losing weight should not be harming your body you should be nurishing it and keeping running efficiently. Trying to open people up to learn and explore things past just the calorie deficit. I've seen too many clients that are not seeing results simply because they are not giving their body enough to go on they have become calorie deficit machines and take it to the extreme. I'm sorry feeding your body 1200 calories and intensely working out 5 days a week can work for a couple weeks but you WILL burn out! Here are some things we can agree on:

1) Min amount of carbs are required for your body to function properly it is your main source of energy and keeps you going.

2) Macros are important in that since you are depleting your calories per day to loose weight that you still make sure you are meeting your body's needs

Low fat diets have be shown to not work long term. Extreme low carb diets, while they will give you results, will not last long term as well. So why not encourage balanced meals and sustainable long term healthy choices. Or simply open people up to new things and a different way of looking at things in conjunction with what they already know.

Have you ever heard of people doing 80/10/10? It works for them.

Completely agree with you again my only goal is speaking to the general average population and not specific to anyone in a specific training program. I was thinking more of the new comers to this app and just drawing attention to different feature in this app. The 40-60 range is for the avg; for the person starting out that doesn't know where to begin and the average person isn't expending nor needing that high carb intake the unused carbs in your body eventually turn into fat. It's all related to biomechanics and how and what kind of fuel your body needs based on what activity you do.
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    Firefly_71 wrote: »
    Hi Emmy, thanks for clarifying. Though I am still a bit confused on the 40 - 60 percent from carbs. 60% seems quite high to me, but I think I might be a little carb sensitive, which is why I would not eat that much.

You might enjoy checking out IIFYM.com - (short for: if it fits your macros). Their site speaks a lot about making sure your are getting enough food, to fuel your body calorie-wise, and also focuses on macros (as the name suggests :smile: )

IMHO One thing that MFP does not do a very good job of is explaining their algorithm. I listed my activity level as sedentary, but then started working out (moderately). I also was trying to eat 1200 calories a day, and not eating back any of my activity calories. I was also experimenting with a low carb high fat diet it, and eating under 40 to 50 carbs a day. Needless to say, my body did not react well, and while I had some initial success, I stopped losing weight.

Once I increased my calories, and increased my carbs (not to an extreme amount: more like 100 to 150 a day), I started losing again.

I also don't think MFP does a great job of explaining macros: or how they arrive at their calculations. This is something people have to figure out on their own via research.

One reason I find the Macro discussion useful to the weight loss discussion, is that it can help people see how important protein is to body maintenance. Our body needs protein, especially if we are working out, to maintain muscles. If we don't get enough protein, and work out aggressively, then our body will start pulling nutrients from its own muscles.

So while I agree that carbs are important to working out, getting enough protein is just as important, possibly more so.

And finally, fat. Our body needs fat. Our brains run on fat. To remain in hormonal balance (and in optimal weight loss mode) our bodies require fat. That is also why I find the Macro discussion important -- because many people who are novices to dieting and weight loss think that fat is optional, or worse bad. It is not. It is necessary, and important to maintaining good health.

Anyway... thanks for your post! I like Macro pie chart as well. Also - MFP does let you customize your Macros - you can do that under the "Goal" tab. Best!

Thank you! I think you maybe the only one that gets the ultimate goal of my post and you nailed it! This was my first big community post and while I thought I was simply being helpful and giving a quick tip I did not stress certain very important points that you mentioned that I also later needed to clarify! Work in progress! Definitely a learning experience! We are all so different and a lot of generalizations and general rules of thumbs like this 40-60 percent carb range may not work for us! Even as someone in the fitness field this app definitely takes some getting used to and learning in the process and how to tweek it so it works most accurate for you! It's not perfect but it's a great help in tool!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Firefly_71 wrote: »

Thank you! I think you maybe the only one that gets the ultimate goal of my post and you nailed it! This was my first big community post and while I thought I was simply being helpful and giving a quick tip I did not stress certain very important points that you mentioned that I also later needed to clarify! Work in progress! Definitely a learning experience! We are all so different and a lot of generalizations and general rules of thumbs like this 40-60 percent carb range may not work for us! Even as someone in the fitness field this app definitely takes some getting used to and learning in the process and how to tweek it so it works most accurate for you! It's not perfect but it's a great help in tool!

Now you're getting it.
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    icyblue13 wrote: »
    Nowhere in my post did I mention hey everyone ignore everything else that's important to your health and just focus on your Macro percentages... Simply put some people haven't even looked at that part of the app and simply and solely focus on a calorie deficit which of course is the key to weightloss ... Calories in vs calories out. Do you guys think it's healthy that hey I stayed within my calorie goal but ate 70% carbs of those calories... Obviously not! Losing weight should not be harming your body you should be nurishing it and keeping running efficiently. Trying to open people up to learn and explore things past just the calorie deficit. I've seen too many clients that are not seeing results simply because they are not giving their body enough to go on they have become calorie deficit machines and take it to the extreme. I'm sorry feeding your body 1200 calories and intensely working out 5 days a week can work for a couple weeks but you WILL burn out! Here are some things we can agree on:

1) Min amount of carbs are required for your body to function properly it is your main source of energy and keeps you going.

2) Macros are important in that since you are depleting your calories per day to loose weight that you still make sure you are meeting your body's needs

Low fat diets have be shown to not work long term. Extreme low carb diets, while they will give you results, will not last long term as well. So why not encourage balanced meals and sustainable long term healthy choices. Or simply open people up to new things and a different way of looking at things in conjunction with what they already know.

Have you ever heard of people doing 80/10/10? It works for them.

Completely agree with you again my only goal is speaking to the general average population and not specific to anyone in a specific training program. I was thinking more of the new comers to this app and just drawing attention to different feature in this app. The 40-60 range is for the avg; for the person starting out that doesn't know where to begin and the average person isn't expending nor needing that high carb intake the unused carbs in your body eventually turn into fat. It's all related to biomechanics and how and what kind of fuel your body needs based on what activity you do.
    But that's the thing, our bodies can run just fine on lower than 40-60% a day in carbs.

You will not gain fat just unless your in a caloric surplus. Not based on carb settings. Your body stores thme as glycogen, not fat, and you use glycogen throughout the day but that doesn't mean someone is depleted if they fall below 40% carbs.

Agreeing with you again! Just like one day doesn't make you skinny and one day doesn't make you fat it's the collective ... I think it all depends on the activity level. What has surprised a lot of my clients is that they are tired, drained and lethargic coming to their sessions because they are not consuming enough carbs. Especially in NYC where most people are walking to and from work most people don't count that as exercise and while it's not a high calorie burning workout it still requires carbs to move you from point a to point b.

Of course the calorie deficit is how you gain and lose weight but simply stressing balance.

1 g of fat = 9 calories
    1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of protein = 4 calories

With weight loss we want to burn fat and we need a caloric deficit. If we stick to our caloric restrictions but want to increase muscle mass we need more protein thus less calories in that pie chart are left for carbs and fat hence altering your percentages.

The amount of protein you need depend on your type of exercise and goals. Carbs and fats are no different! Again stressing BALANCE and giving people of this app one way to try and obtain that balance. It's really worked for me and I've seen some amazing results then again I know when and how to tweek my goals and settings for these percentages based on my activity level.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This may be a contentious point but I think personal trainers should focus on .. oh I dunno.. training and leave nutrition advice to those who know what they're talking about either through being a registered dietician or actual knowledge with scientific basis

starvation mode - derp

I say this as someone who is happy at around 50% carbs .. cos yum carbs
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This may be a contentious point but I think personal trainers should focus on .. oh I dunno.. training and leave nutrition advice to those who know what they're talking about either through being a registered dietician or actual knowledge with scientific basis

starvation mode - derp

Yeah :\.

Emmy, we get that you were trying to be helpful, but there really are some clangers scattered through your posts - starvation mode, storing carbs as fat (with no mention that that is only going to happen if you're at a calorie surplus), and the latest one increasing muscle mass while eating at a deficit (at least that's the way it reads), which doesn't happen. You can preserve existing muscle mass, as much as possible, and build strength while eating at a deficit, but you can't build new muscle.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Being vegan, I'm more the nutrients type, although I keep an eye on my macro's.
  • emmy_marino
    Options

starvation mode - derp

I am at 45-50% carbs myself too. Love the carbs!!!

Let me clarify "starvation mode": lack of energy, lethargy etc meaning you cannot get as good of a workout you are miserable and fatigued and you are not giving your body adequate nutrients to function optimally. Not giving your body the nutrients it needs to recover after workouts. HENCE not burning as many calories! Call it what you will if starvation mode scares you then give it another term.

I didn't come on here pretending to be some dietician again just referring the average user on here to explore this app look into yes the caloric deficit but also at where these calories are coming from. You need protein to build and fuel muscle, you need carbs for energy and daily function, and fat for energy and nutrient absorption (some nutrients cannot be absorbed in the body without fat). I didn't prescribe a meal plan nor make anyone eat a certain kind of way the 40-60% carb intake is a well known GENERAL avg and not specific to an individual! As you first start this weightloss journey it's a good safe place to start when you don't know where to begin and as you get more knowledable in the field or see a professional you can adjust these numbers accordingly. Sheesh everyone calm down even personal trainers have to learn about nutrition and come out with BASIC knowledge about nutrition. I went to school for this I didn't just read one text book and take a test and call myself a personal trainer. I also properly refer my clients to a nutritionist for their diet that is not my scope of practice but I can give them guidance at first. Like a nutrition 101 basic info they could start with its in textbooks it's not rocket science but it is foreign to people that have never been exposed to it so why not get your clients thinking about nutrition and what they put in their bodies and talk to them about balance.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

starvation mode - derp

Let me clarify "starvation mode": lack of energy, lethargy etc meaning you cannot get as good of a workout you are miserable and fatigued and you are not giving your body adequate nutrients to function optimally. Not giving your body the nutrients it needs to recover after workouts. HENCE not burning as many calories! Call it what you will if starvation mode scares you then give it another term.

I didn't come on here pretending to be some dietician again just referring the average user on here to explore this app look into yes the caloric deficit but also at where these calories are coming from. You need protein to build and fuel muscle, you need carbs for energy and daily function, and fat for energy and nutrient absorption (some nutrients cannot be absorbed in the body without fat). I didn't prescribe a meal plan nor make anyone eat a certain kind of way the 40-60% carb intake is a well known GENERAL avg and not specific to an individual! As you first start this weightloss journey it's a good safe place to start when you don't know where to begin and as you get more knowledable in the field or see a professional you can adjust these numbers accordingly. Sheesh everyone calm down even personal trainers have to learn about nutrition and come out with BASIC knowledge about nutrition. I went to school for this I didn't just read one text book and take a test and call myself a personal trainer. I also properly refer my clients to a nutritionist for their diet that is not my scope of practice but I can give them guidance at first. Like a nutrition 101 basic info they could start with its in textbooks it's not rocket science but it is foreign to people that have never been exposed to it so why not get your clients thinking about nutrition and what they put in their bodies and talk to them about balance.

Oh I know you are well-meaning

I posted advice on your very first thread and suggested that you just join in the conversations offering your advice on specific questions but make sure you can back it up.

Unfortunately when you post generic advice, at an audience you don't know, you are going to get people going 'now hang on a second here'.

You have intimated that you have a special background that you seem to think means MFP users should give your posts special credence ... which means that those who have some knowledge will respond to your posts to ensure that lurkers do take what you say under advisement.

PS for the benefit of those who do not know ... a nutritionist is not a dietician .. I could become a nutritionist online in a weekend if I chose
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

starvation mode - derp

Yeah :\.

Emmy, we get that you were trying to be helpful, but there really are some clangers scattered through your posts - starvation mode, storing carbs as fat (with no mention that that is only going to happen if you're at a calorie surplus), and the latest one increasing muscle mass while eating at a deficit (at least that's the way it reads), which doesn't happen. You can preserve existing muscle mass, as much as possible, and build strength while eating at a deficit, but you can't build new muscle.

And now we are talking about something far off from what the intent of this post was. Maybe I should have just wrote "Hi everyone check out your Macro Percentages and keep an eye on them and try and eat balanced meals" "don't ignore where your calories come from" There are some things that deserve a post in themselves so we can really delve into topics. I'm finding correcting some statements because they were not received in a way that was intended so that falls on the author to be more clear in their meaning. For future posts it's exactly what I would do but this is all great learning feedback from the community. Everyone can always learn more that's the beauty of all this and it raises thought and discussion about nutrition and health I'm all for that!
  • emmy_marino
    Options
    mjffey wrote: »
    Being vegan, I'm more the nutrients type, although I keep an eye on my macro's.

Being Vegan takes a lot of dedication and paying complete attention to what you consume I admire that so much! How long have you been Vegan? How tough is it to find nutrient substitutes?
  • emmy_marino
    Options

starvation mode - derp

I posted advice on your very first thread and suggested that you just join in the conversations offering your advice on specific questions but make sure you can back it up.

Unfortunately when you post generic advice, at an audience you don't know, you are going to get people going 'now hang on a second here'.

You have intimated that you have a special background that you seem to think means MFP users should give your posts special credence ... which means that those who have some knowledge will respond to your posts to ensure that lurkers do take what you say under advisement.

PS for the benefit of those who do not know ... a nutritionist is not a dietician .. I could become a nutritionist online in a weekend if I chose

Very very true! The term is sometimes used interchangeably and it shouldn't be. Right now the personal training industry is not very highly regulated ... You can have someone that can become a personal trainer in a week and then someone that's gone to school and actually knows what they are talking about. My goal was to use lamen terms and generalizations for the newbie person first looking at this app and a basic starting point. A pie chart always needs to balance well obviously and then the generalized 40-60 percent carb range is a safe start for someone just starting out.. From there the general fat range should be from 20-30 percent and then your protein from 0.8g per pound of body weight up to 2.0g per pound of body weight dependant on your activity and goal. Then convert that into calories and convert into a percentage etc ... Way to much info for someone to take in the app makes it easy in the pie chart like ok today wow I barely ate carbs hey ok I need to fix that or seeing your fat percentage was way out of wack causing you to look back and say wait what had so much fat in it... Just want consumers to be conscious to more than calories this is the next step and sometimes it gets overwhelming and its surprise what foods contain what. I love that this app promoted awareness to what you actually consume!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

starvation mode - derp

I agree with this totally

Probably well meaning but....generic advice, touting being a personal trainer and mentioning "starvation mode" even to get the attention of people has made me question your intent and actual knowledge.

I agree leave the nutrition advice to a well qualified up to date RD.

Macros imo should be personalized and throwing random numbers out there for a large population doesn't sit well with me.
    If we stick to our caloric restrictions but want to increase muscle mass we need more protein thus less calories in that pie chart are left for carbs and fat hence altering your percentages.
    *it is almost impossible to build muscle while in a calorie deficit...you are either obese and new to lifting or new to lifting....and eating more protein isn't the way to build muscle....you need resistance/heavy lifting in there too...

This among other things (which I won't mention as it goes against TOS) lead me to question knowledge as well...

Perhaps the next time you think something needs special note like the PIE chart on the app...just mention it...don't give advice about it.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a long time and a couple of years ago I switched to vegan. I always say: If you can't look a non human animal in the eye and say out loud "I'm going to kill you now", and do it, you should not eat it.

Being vegan is easier than people think. It's just a matter of bringing a great variety in your food. Really that's all. Only supplement I have is for B12, because I'm too lazy to keep an eye on that, and those supplements are vegan. Really. People make a lot of fuss about it, but it's easy.

Did you know that women who lead a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle have less Monthly problems and less to no problems at all during the menopause? I'm 55 and had NO!!! problems at all. None, no hot flushes, nothing at all. It just stopped and that was it. My sister, who isn't vegan/vegetarian is 58 and still has problems. Just a nice thing to know :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mjffey wrote: »
    Being vegan is easier that people think. It's just a matter of bringing a great variety in your food. Really that's all. Only supplement I have is for B12, because I'm too lazy to keep an eye on that, and those supplements are vegan. Really. People make a lot of fuss about it, but it's easy. Did you know that women who lead a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle have less Monthly problems and less to no problems at all during the menopause? I'm 55 and had NO!!! problems at all. None, no hot flushes, nothing at all. It just stopped and that was it. My sister, who isn't vegan/vegetarian is 58 and still has problems. Just a nice thing to know :-)

There is no science to back that up...

My mother isn't vegan and didn't have issues during menopause either.

Vegan/vegetarian woman actually have to be very careful...esp during child bearing years. There are quite a few cases of moms giving birth to children who can't process proteins due to their vegan/vegetarian lifestyle during pregnancy and not getting in enough protein.

I am not kicking at vegans/vegetarians at all but it's not that easy...you have to be careful about a lot of things.