Struggling to drop total caloric intake after mini bulking

Options
AMonari
AMonari Posts: 49 Member
Having increased my caloric intake significantly with the objective of gradually bulking and I ensured simultaneously I stuck to my continued compound lifting exercises which started with all pro's routine both beginner and intermediate followed by the 5 by 5 stronglifts program.

I'm looking at gradually dropping my calories and i need advise as to how to do this as to honest I'm struggling. To be specific the struggle is not so much during the day as I disciplned myself to eat clean during the day ...

The struggle is after dinner i.e. if you have a look at my food diary for 07/05/2015 and compare this with the previous day you will notice across the list after the cottage cheese in my dinner my diet is varied and this is when I got in the required excess calories for the bulk but with summer around the corner I believe a month of balanced cardio and lifting plus gradually dropping my caloric intake to 1800 would lead to my drop in weight from just over 70 back to the mid 60's range.

Any ideas as to how to gradually stop bulking and getting into that cutting mode?

Replies

• morowinder
    morowinder Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When going on cut I fool myself with adding lots of low calorie vegetables everywhere.
    Add lots of chopped spinach and cherry tomatoes to bacon and eggs. And make sure you finish your plate.
    Make sure you eat certain amount of say cooked brocolli with dinner.
    Plain vegetables can't keep me satiated for longer that an hour, but if I sneak them in it seems to work.
    Also, come on, it's called willpower.
  • AMonari
    Options
    THANKS morowinder ... BTW before posting any other suggestions i've uploaded latest pics of myself .. you can compare this with the 1st 4 pics in my gallery which were in dec 2014 ... also my waist size was 29.5 inches now its smack on 31 .. i would like to drop this to 29.5 inches by end june/start of july without losing the muscle i put onn (lol if any) during winter ... another incentive is my bday falls in the 1st week of july so that would be nice too
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Do it slow. I cut at a 10%-15% deficit. Low fat greek yoghurt, low fat cuts of meat and fish, sweet potatoes and veg veg veg. Omega 3 tablets galore. Daily treats, and skinny lattes for the caffeine appetite suppressant.
    On training days, pre load before with plenty of carbs. The challenge is afterwards. I hate cutting and training at the same time. My appetite is a monster.
  • AMonari
    Options
    Thanks .. The omega 3 tablets will be a new experience for me .. As for the other bits .. I was already munching way in sweet potatoes and veg .. That's what saved me from gaining loads of belly fat as I made sure that was the main combo in my main meals .... Yep .. Ur right after training is the challenge .. My main challenge is after dinner .. And this is brought about by my late sleeping due to preparing for work the next day .. Before I forget daily treats .. Ideas on this would be appreciated
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    AMonari wrote: »
    THANKS morowinder ... BTW before posting any other suggestions i've uploaded latest pics of myself .. you can compare this with the 1st 4 pics in my gallery which were in dec 2014 ... also my waist size was 29.5 inches now its smack on 31 .. i would like to drop this to 29.5 inches by end june/start of july without losing the muscle i put onn (lol if any) during winter ... another incentive is my bday falls in the 1st week of july so that would be nice too

Keeping muscle is possible with your cut provided you're getting enough protein and keeping close to your daily calorie. We have similar stats. I currently have a 30 inch waist, but wear 31 pants with a belt. I'm right at 70kg from 68kg beginning in April and I've been successful (to me) on putting on size.

Springfield1970 has a pretty good suggestion. I've been eating similar and putting on muscle and losing fat.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Daily treats...a small packet of crisps, 130c, glass of wine, 170c, latte, 70c, full fat greek yoghurt, blueberries, raspberries, frozen yoghurt, crunchy snow peas, nice teas and decaff coffee with sweetener.
    Good steak, duck breast, prawns, low cal bar,
    Bath, pedicure, etc
    On a cut, or on austerity measures, little things turn into big treats.
    It's all relative. It's weird.
  • scottf4413
    scottf4413 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this OP. I've gotten quite a bit from this thread.
  • AMonari
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @scottf4413 - ur welcome ...

@Springfield1970 - super suggestions .. shame I'm reading ur post after I visited the supermarket not too long ago .. on the other hand I did pick up some low fat yoghurt with ryvita crackerbread biscuits (if you have had them I'm referring to those that are 19kcal per biscuit) which I'm enjoying as I reply this post ... one thing i made sure is to keep the excess calories as low as possible in sat fats, salt, sugar and sodium ..
  • Exegi_Corpus
    Exegi_Corpus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    AMonari wrote: »
    Having increased my caloric intake significantly with the objective of gradually bulking and I ensured simultaneously I stuck to my continued compound lifting exercises which started with all pro's routine both beginner and intermediate followed by the 5 by 5 stronglifts program.

I'm looking at gradually dropping my calories and i need advise as to how to do this as to honest I'm struggling. To be specific the struggle is not so much during the day as I disciplned myself to eat clean during the day ...

The struggle is after dinner i.e. if you have a look at my food diary for 07/05/2015 and compare this with the previous day you will notice across the list after the cottage cheese in my dinner my diet is varied and this is when I got in the required excess calories for the bulk but with summer around the corner I believe a month of balanced cardio and lifting plus gradually dropping my caloric intake to 1800 would lead to my drop in weight from just over 70 back to the mid 60's range.

Any ideas as to how to gradually stop bulking and getting into that cutting mode?

Be careful when you are getting into a cut. Sometimes people mistake it with losing fat. I am about to finish my cut and will gain a little bit then will go back to cut. I mostly increase my carb and lower my fat while I still take the required protein. I switch to high intensity programs with a little increase of cardiovascular activities such as LISS. You will still need to eat your maintenance calories and try to stay and few hundred calories than your maintenance + training to lower your fat %. In 2 months I lost %4 fat while losing only 3 kg. of mass.