Cut or Bulk? (Pics)

I just finished freshman year in college and got pretty fat. I want to get in shape but I was debating if I should cut or bulk first. Also, my friend said I have a "barbie" shape. Is there any way I could change that? But mainly I want to know whether I should or bulk(I'm 5'9)and what would you consider my body fat percentage to be?
Front : http://prntscr.com/72f04r
Back : http://prntscr.com/72ezv3

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I'd absolutely say you should bulk.

You look 15% or mid teens to me body fat percentage wise.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Clean bulk
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    If I was you (and I sort of am), I'd eat in a calorie deficit while working on progressive strength training.

First, you're going to get neuromuscular adaptations - your'e going to get GOOD at lifting without actually getting any muscle mass (or very little.) You will also be losing weight.

Hopefully this will carry you until you are at a lower body fat percentage. At some point, you just can't get stronger without putting more meat on. When you get here, evaluate your body fat and decide if you want to continue to cut, or bulk.

I would guess you at about 22% bodyfat.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    If I was you (and I sort of am), I'd eat in a calorie deficit while working on progressive strength training.

First, you're going to get neuromuscular adaptations - your'e going to get GOOD at lifting without actually getting any muscle mass (or very little.) You will also be losing weight.

Hopefully this will carry you until you are at a lower body fat percentage. At some point, you just can't get stronger without putting more meat on. When you get here, evaluate your body fat and decide if you want to continue to cut, or bulk.

I would guess you at about 22% bodyfat.

This^^

Don't bulk yet because your body fat is already too high. Aim to get down to the 12% range before starting a bulk.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I want to get in shape but I was debating if I should cut or bulk first. Also, my friend said I have a "barbie" shape.

I think you should focus on athletic performance. That way you can beat your friend up.