Come here, Come here!

aBlueCrayon
aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
edited May 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hey guys!! I've been using this app for about a week and just only discovered these forums the other day. I figured it only appropriate to drop a thread in here introducing myself to hopefully hear from others!

My name is Alanni, I'm twenty-one and a full-time college student. Back in March I began taking anti-depression medication and my life has been a whirlwind of sudden change for the better since! I'm capable of exercising now for more than 5 minutes, running for an hour now if I want to. The weight lifted off my shoulders has been incredible and I want to pursue so many things I never could before, including getting myself into shape. I've found it a bit difficult because I don't like the idea of just "running" or "lifting weights" since everyone else is. I want to know WHY I'm doing what I'm doing and the effects of it on my body. Also, I'm hoping to focus on building and maintaining core strength to relieve lower back pain from a car accident I was in a year ago as well. Last but not least, while exercising I want to get my heart into shape if at all possible, because I struggle with syncope (high pulse, low bp).

I'd love to hear from everyone! What's your name? Where are you from? What do you do? Your reason(s) for going to the gym? Your struggles while exercising? What useful tip(s) can you offer? :)

P.S. I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds while I'm at it! Lets motivate each other?!

Replies

• elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Awesome, great to have you! Yeah the forums are a big part of all this. It binds you to a community that is all working toward the same goals and helps you achieve yours.

I'm Chris from Texas, programmer by trade, rec soccer player by passion. I actually need to get back to the gym and that's on tap for next week but I've got a Spartan Race this weekend and can't afford to tear my muscles down now. I want to put on some muscle so I can do bigger, badder mud runs, complete all obstacles, and not look like a scrawny stick figure when I'm at a "healthy" weight.

My main struggle is time. I'm so busy with a crazy job, kids, and soccer that it's a real struggle to make time to get to the gym regularly. We just got a new support guy so I'm hoping. Once I'm in the gym I struggle with my biceps. I've worked on them many times in the past and although I can make them swell up a bit I have the hardest time getting any real gains out of them. In contrast I can bump up 5-10lbs on the bench every week (until... ?) no problem. Ah well.

My only 2 real tips are 1) Log EVERYTHING no matter what. 2) ALWAYS stay above your absolutely caloric minimum. Read around but last I read it's about 1,200 for women and 1,500 for men. If you put your body into starvation mode then you're really buggered and may actually gain weight while starving yourself.
  • SonicMoosie
    SonicMoosie Posts: 9 Member
    Hey there!

I'm Leah, 20 from Australia and I've only been using the app for just over a week, I literally just stumbled upon these forums now haha :smile:

I'm really casual at the weight loss thing, I don't get a lot exercise time in, although one of my friends is teaching me horse riding and I love having my morning walk.

My biggest struggle has been an eating disorder and depression, I went right down in weight and back up again during recovery, it really held me back from being happy and healthy but I overcame that and now I'm getting myself back to fitness! And I've realised that bring healthy makes you happier!
    I think a really important part of it is to literally take each day as it comes, never restrict yourself from a piece of cake, (as long as it's proportional! My motto is everything in moderation
  • SonicMoosie
    SonicMoosie Posts: 9 Member
    (2nd half)

and have fun when you exercise, if it feels like a chore-I tend not to do it!!

My goal is to lose about 5 kilos and strengthen up a bit more hahah
  • aBlueCrayon
    elothen wrote: »
    Awesome, great to have you! Yeah the forums are a big part of all this. It binds you to a community that is all working toward the same goals and helps you achieve yours.

I'm Chris from Texas, programmer by trade, rec soccer player by passion. I actually need to get back to the gym and that's on tap for next week but I've got a Spartan Race this weekend and can't afford to tear my muscles down now. I want to put on some muscle so I can do bigger, badder mud runs, complete all obstacles, and not look like a scrawny stick figure when I'm at a "healthy" weight.

My main struggle is time. I'm so busy with a crazy job, kids, and soccer that it's a real struggle to make time to get to the gym regularly. We just got a new support guy so I'm hoping. Once I'm in the gym I struggle with my biceps. I've worked on them many times in the past and although I can make them swell up a bit I have the hardest time getting any real gains out of them. In contrast I can bump up 5-10lbs on the bench every week (until... ?) no problem. Ah well.

My only 2 real tips are 1) Log EVERYTHING no matter what. 2) ALWAYS stay above your absolutely caloric minimum. Read around but last I read it's about 1,200 for women and 1,500 for men. If you put your body into starvation mode then you're really buggered and may actually gain weight while starving yourself.

Hey, Chris! Thanks for the welcome. A Spartan Race sounds so intense!!! Kudos to you for attempting it at the very least, I can't think of many people who'd last long trying one! Good luck!!

I feel like time is a major issue for the majority of the people in this country! Sad to hear the lack of it is affecting you too :( Fingers crossed the new guy brings in some great relief for you, I'm sure your biceps and family will appreciate it! :)

Thank you for the tips, I never realized how hard it is to be honest with yourself once you start seeing those numbers add up. You think, "Oh, I'm just going to eat a handful of pecans." And then you do the math and you think, "There's no way I ate that much!! .... I think this is more accurate for half of what I ate." And then the struggle begins, haha. So I will do my best to stay honest, consistent and not starving! (Though even at my goal of 1300, I feel as though I'm starving lol)
  • aBlueCrayon
    Hey there!

I'm Leah, 20 from Australia and I've only been using the app for just over a week, I literally just stumbled upon these forums now haha :smile:

I'm really casual at the weight loss thing, I don't get a lot exercise time in, although one of my friends is teaching me horse riding and I love having my morning walk.

My biggest struggle has been an eating disorder and depression, I went right down in weight and back up again during recovery, it really held me back from being happy and healthy but I overcame that and now I'm getting myself back to fitness! And I've realised that bring healthy makes you happier!
    I think a really important part of it is to literally take each day as it comes, never restrict yourself from a piece of cake, (as long as it's proportional! My motto is everything in moderation

Hey Leah! Welcome to you as well then! :smiley:

Even casually moderating what you eat and exercise I think can be smart and keep you on track!

I'm sorry to hear you've experienced eating disorders and depression, they're both rough. Happy to see you've pulled through though and you're working to make your life better!! Eating healthy and staying active are definitely keys to happy living. You have a good motto too, again, I'm truly glad all is working out for you!

Let's continue to do our best to be happy and healthy!! All the while getting those muscles to learn to tighten up, haha :)