Struggling to lose 10!

I'd really appreciate it if my body would just shave these ten pounds off, but it seems if anything, I've gained two and there's nothing I can do! Perhaps it's the medication I've just begun to take helping me gain weight, but I'm not sure what to do and I'm not sure how to remain steadfast.

Suggestions? :s

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    With 10 pounds to lose you most likely have a .5 lb per week loss goal. There is no room for error with a small deficit. You have to be diligent, weigh all your food on the scale, and be honest with yourself. Medications may make you feel hungry, but not really just gain weight. Also, your weight should go up and down throughout the week, so pick a day and time that you will weigh in every week to get a good idea of your progress.

My last 10 pounds went by (are going by) very slowly too.
  • aBlueCrayon
    aBlueCrayon Posts: 120 Member
    Weighing food? I'm embarrassed to say- but I've never heard of doing that! Why do you weigh food?

Also, good point, maybe it is just more hunger pangs. I feel like I'm going crazy by trying to make myself eat less! :(

And I weigh myself every Friday. Last Friday was a sad day, haha.

Good luck to the both of us! May those 10 be gone asap!
  • arditarose
    Weighing food? I'm embarrassed to say- but I've never heard of doing that! Why do you weigh food?

Also, good point, maybe it is just more hunger pangs. I feel like I'm going crazy by trying to make myself eat less! :(

You weigh your food so you know how much you're eating....How do you know you ate 4 oz of meat, 100 grams of broccoli, etc? Calories are based on the weight of your food. Things like nuts, peanut butter are especially calorie dense and need to be weighed. I even weigh my salad dressing but not everyone takes it that far.

• aBlueCrayon
    arditarose wrote: »

You weigh your food so you know how much you're eating....How do you know you ate 4 oz of meat, 100 grams of broccoli, etc? Calories are based on the weight of your food. Things like nuts, peanut butter are especially calorie dense and need to be weighed. I even weigh my salad dressing but not everyone takes it that far.

Ahhhh. Soooooo I should probably stop eyeballing it and invest in a scale! Thank you :) didn't realize accuracy was so key.
  • arditarose

Ahhhh. Soooooo I should probably stop eyeballing it and invest in a scale! Thank you :) didn't realize accuracy was so key.

lol. Yeah...they're like 15 bucks. It's so important, especially when you have less to lose. If you're off by 100-200 calories per day, that's 700-1400 per week. You can wipe out your deficit really easily. I'm sure you'll see progress quickly once you start weighing.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

It isn't, but some people like to obsess.
  • arditarose

It isn't, but some people like to obsess.

If you're not losing, it is.
  • aBlueCrayon
    edited May 2015
    arditarose may have a point though, if I wanna lose, that's a decent amount I could be adding on and probably am since I'm having difficulty. Though, for most people I'm sure they don't have to go as far as to weigh their food if they're doing fine, TimothyFish
  • aBlueCrayon
    Thank you both for the input and suggestion, arditarose!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Keep at it! I've lost 5 pounds since January. The last pounds are slowwwwwww.
  • aBlueCrayon
    edited May 2015
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Keep at it! I've lost 5 pounds since January. The last pounds are slowwwwwww.

Wow!!!! Congrats! :) That's awesome.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Wow I thought it was just me struggling! ! I've lost 28lb and now weigh 138 but am having trouble losing any more. ..so frustrating. . the scale must be moving but not quick enough. . let's hang in there. :smiley:
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Yes!!! Get a food scale!!! Best $15 I've ever spent!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,470 Member
    edited May 2015
    Food scales are not expensive, and they are available everywhere ... grocery stores, department stores ...

Weighing your food is very eye-opening. Cheese, for example, one "serving" of cheese is teensy tiny. Eyeballing it, what I assumed was one serving was actually two servings. And when you're talking 100 cal/serving, that can add up.

Have a look at this visual guide to nuts:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778
    Nuts are another eye-opening example ... what I presumed was one small serving of cashews and couldn't be more than about 100 cal, was more like about 4-5 servings of cashews coming in at 400-500 cal.

I don't often eat cereal, but I've seen others talk about those 45 gram servings ... 45 grams of cereal is next to nothing.

So yes, I weigh most of my foods.

Next question ... how many calories are you currently aiming to consume?
  • arditarose
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Wow I thought it was just me struggling! ! I've lost 28lb and now weigh 138 but am having trouble losing any more. ..so frustrating. . the scale must be moving but not quick enough. . let's hang in there. :smiley:

138 is about where mine slowed to a crawl. One day I was just like THIS IS ENOUGH. I dropped my calories a tiny bit, started weighing out my lunches the night before instead of buying on the go, and it definitely helped.
  • aBlueCrayon
    dawniemate wrote: »

Oh my gosh! Amazing, yes, let's keep going! It certainly seems to be harder once you reach that 140-130 range. Perhaps we need to reduce the caloric intake further? Or now we should be lifting weights harder/more often?
  • aBlueCrayon
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Food scales are not expensive, and they are available everywhere ... grocery stores, department stores ...

Weighing your food is very eye-opening. Cheese, for example, one "serving" of cheese is teensy tiny. Eyeballing it, what I assumed was one serving was actually two servings. And when you're talking 100 cal/serving, that can add up.

Have a look at this visual guide to nuts:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/a-visual-guide-to-100-calories-of-nuts-snack-tips-from-the-kitchn-201778
    Nuts are another eye-opening example ... what I presumed was one small serving of cashews and couldn't be more than about 100 cal, was more like about 4-5 servings of cashews coming in at 400-500 cal.

I don't often eat cereal, but I've seen others talk about those 45 gram servings ... 45 grams of cereal is next to nothing.

So yes, I weigh most of my foods.

Next question ... how many calories are you currently aiming to consume?

I'll have to check that out when I get one! I'm trying to consume 1300 daily (:
  • aBlueCrayon
    cosmo_momo wrote: »
    Yes!!! Get a food scale!!! Best $15 I've ever spent!

So I am hearing! Thanks :)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Yes, the scale is very helpful. So much less work than estimating or transferring food from measuring cups. Someone toting 100 lb fat and aiming for a 7000 deficit/week can afford to be a few 100 calories off. To someone working on vanity pounds aiming for a daily deficit under 250 kcal, accuracy matters a lot.