Building strength after losing weight

Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
A common discussion topic is "should I lose weight first and then build muscle, or the other way around, or can I do them both at the same time?". Ok, so I had made my decision; I lost weight first, I can be done in 1-2 months. I did do some training, but not much, and I lost a bit of muscle. I don't really care about it, I've got plenty of muscle, my body likes to make it.

Anyways; how can I start building strength and muscle after I have arrived at my target weight effectively, and without gaining significant amounts of fat? I do triathlons, so I am mainly interested in building the sort of strength/muscles that help me achieve better times. Triathlons are not my only goal though (I want to be in the top 10-20%, that is enough for me), otherwise I see that I don't really need to build a lot of muscles - I also want to have some extra upper body strength just because it looks good and it is useful for work and chores. Is it true that muscles that I lost in the weight loss process will return relatively quickly after starting to do fitness?

Thanks for you interest and your answers!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    A basic heavy compound program like strong lifts should work fine for you. Adjust your food (increasing protein) to where your calorie intake is right at or very slightly above maintenance (like maybe 200 calories). Start with a gradual increase from where you are, with maybe a step up of 100 calories per week until you’re staying at a steady weight. Before you start, take body measurements. They will be your best indicator that you’re on the right track. If your stomach to waist ratio starts rising, you’re putting on fat.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks, great advice! I will do this! :)