Logging - Map my walk v MFP

Options
Lola2248
Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
Have just started to walk to work, 2.5 miles each way....

Logged it on Map My Walk, which has all the same details as MFP. The calories burned on Map My Walk has it as 333 calories, whereas MFP has them as 241.

Why the difference? And which do I use?
Thanks

Replies

• toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Interesting...because when I use Strava, a bicycle tracking ap, it always is way under MFP for calories burned. I use the lesser number as I am told the MFP calories usually over estimate...however your results are the opposite. I guess I would use MFP in your case.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Is your weight the same in map my walk as it is here?
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MFP goes by the time you spend doing the exercise. MapMyWalk (and Strava) track elevation changes and your speed, which should be a little more accurate.

And Toof is correct, you need make sure your weight/age/gender is correctly entered. That's part of the calorie equation.
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have MFP and MapMyWalk connected (synced) or do you enter the same workout in each? I use MapMyRun to record walks or runs and it automatically puts it into MFP with the same calorie burn.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is your weight the same in map my walk as it is here?

yes it is. I also have a fitbit (I like my gadgets and apps :p ) and the Fitbit agrees with MFP so am sticking with that for logging. If I have no weight loss in a week or so I will then try eating back fewer of exercise calories. Just trying to find that level.