Long weekend anxiety

Here in Canada we a 1 week away from the first official long weekend of the summer. This means cottage season is kicking off which also means drinks around the campfire and BBQ meat and late night snacks. Although being at the cottage is my happy place I am having a lot of anxiety about it. For starters, I really enjoy my Rye and Coke around the fire but since I have cut out all pop I don't know what the heck to drink. Plus I don't know how I am going to resist when everyone starts breaking out the snacks late at night. Any suggestions??

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Rye and diet coke?
    How about saving some calories for the snacks and/or getting in a bit more hiking or othe exercise?
    Relax and enjoy yourself-this is a long "journey" and you will learn to fit in the things you love!
    It's gonna be a wonderful summer!
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Rye & Coke substitution -- try cranberry juice instead of the Coke. We mix Apple Crown Royal and 100% Cranberry juice over ice. Calorie for calorie there probably isn't much of a difference but it's an alternative to Coke. It could be made lower cal using a diet cranberry juice blend but we don't care for the taste of those so that's why we use the 100%. If you're a wine drinker, drink that but splurge on a quality wine. In my experience, I tend to sip and savor those more so than the cheaper bottles because I want it to last longer! Regardless of what beverage you choose, sip slowly, enjoy the company, and alternate drinks with water.

Snacks -- popcorn, raw veggies with hummus, homemade trail mix (high calorie but good fats from the nuts), sunflower seeds and in-shell pistachios (again high calorie but you have to "work" to eat them so it keeps your hands busy from mindless munching). Decide what you're going to snack on, put it on your plate, go sit by the fire, and don't go back for seconds.

I look at this as a lifestyle change and therefore I know that I'm always going to have social situations where food is involved. Since you'll be at a cottage, you will have some sort of kitchen available to you that you can prepare healthier food the rest of the day so you can enjoy the campfire evenings. Who knows, maybe others in your group are also trying to eat healthier?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Here in Canada we a 1 week away from the first official long weekend of the summer. This means cottage season is kicking off which also means drinks around the campfire and BBQ meat and late night snacks. Although being at the cottage is my happy place I am having a lot of anxiety about it. For starters, I really enjoy my Rye and Coke around the fire but since I have cut out all pop I don't know what the heck to drink. Plus I don't know how I am going to resist when everyone starts breaking out the snacks late at night. Any suggestions??

I hear you...Victoria day weekend is coming...Yah.

as mentioned rye and diet coke or coke zero or sprite zero. I switched to Black fly long island ice tea...100 calories each or vodka.

As for the rest it really is about portion control. Smores are nom nom, chips, beef jerky etc...we always have lots at the cottage.

I prelog it helps keep me in check when I am out at the lake...but I also make sure I eat reasonable breakfast and lunch...instead of heaping my plate with potato salad I take a small serving, carrot sticks, my burger or hotdog or steak or chicken and drink water with my meal etc.

Trust me it can be done. I joined her June 2013 and lost 11lbs over that summer...about 1 lb a week.
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Try a drink with club soda or seltzer.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Plan for it, go for a hike to earn some calories for snacking. Pop some Air popped popcorn topped with a little coconut oil. MMMMM!
    Diet drinks are my fav. Vanilla vodka with diet orange soda. It tastes like a dream-cicle. It's one week a month, correct? Maybe plan for a maintenance week those week, then kick it into weight loss the other 3 weeks of the month. Then when fall hits, no more maintenance weeks. Losing weight doesn't need to be an always thing. You can take a break. You just don't want to gain and undo work you've already done. But maintaining can be harder than losing.
    Good Luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Try a drink with club soda or seltzer.

Yup for sure...I mix flavored vodka with club soda...if not plain vodka with Nesfruta flavor.