Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    kpodaru wrote: »
    i do mostly paleo (i say 'mostly' because i have 1tsp of sugar with my coffee and on the odd occasion, i'll have a bit of shredded cheese with whatever it is i'm cooking because it's cheese) but in terms of food, i'm like, 99% paleo. i have amazing energy and when i started this way of eating, i didn't have any trouble at all with the transition or energy levels. fyi - paleo is not 'low carb'; it's eating foods that can be naturally harvested - meats, roots, seeds, veggies, fruits....that sort of thing.... no processed junk; no grains etc. i dont really like labelling the way i eat; i just prefer to eat naturally.

bump up your healthy fat intake - like half an avocado. squashes are great - i made a wonderful roasted buttercup squash last night with 1tbsp coconut oil, salt and pepper. tonight i'll be making roasted butternut squash with thyme. there are a ton of paleo recipes on pinterest :)

cheese is naturally harvested?

If you would cut back the sarcasm and read the words she said, in parentheses, you would see that cheese and sugar were her occasional exceptions to eating Paleo.

And if you read the words she wrote, you would see that she doesn't "really like labelling [sic] the way [she] eats" So her calling her diet "Paleo" is kind of ridiculous in the first place. Why can't she just say she eats mainly whole foods? That's much more understandable than the nebulous definitions of "Paleo"

this was going to be my response, but you beat me to it...

Your specific question of "cheese is naturally harvested?" is what I was referring to.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i do mostly paleo (i say 'mostly' because i have 1tsp of sugar with my coffee and on the odd occasion, i'll have a bit of shredded cheese with whatever it is i'm cooking because it's cheese) but in terms of food, i'm like, 99% paleo. i have amazing energy and when i started this way of eating, i didn't have any trouble at all with the transition or energy levels. fyi - paleo is not 'low carb'; it's eating foods that can be naturally harvested - meats, roots, seeds, veggies, fruits....that sort of thing.... no processed junk; no grains etc. i dont really like labelling the way i eat; i just prefer to eat naturally.

bump up your healthy fat intake - like half an avocado. squashes are great - i made a wonderful roasted buttercup squash last night with 1tbsp coconut oil, salt and pepper. tonight i'll be making roasted butternut squash with thyme. there are a ton of paleo recipes on pinterest :)

If you would cut back the sarcasm and read the words she said, in parentheses, you would see that cheese and sugar were her occasional exceptions to eating Paleo.

And if you read the words she wrote, you would see that she doesn't "really like labelling [sic] the way [she] eats" So her calling her diet "Paleo" is kind of ridiculous in the first place. Why can't she just say she eats mainly whole foods? That's much more understandable than the nebulous definitions of "Paleo"

Your specific question of "cheese is naturally harvested?" is what I was referring to.

I was pointing out the ridiculousness of that poster saying they eat Paleo, and used sarcasm to illustrate it.

and then you came riding to the rescue....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Borlaug did nothing more than fancy, knowledge-enhanced selective breeding, a process that has been going on since man figured out he could do it.

He got a Nobel Prize because a lot of people saw it as an advancement towards solving world hunger.

There is nothing fundamentally different about the wheat.

Hmm, pretty sure you might be downplaying his contribution just a tad. I'm not going to get into a debate about it, and it's getting far, far away from the point of the thread, but I'll leave you with a few snippets from his obituary:

"When Borlaug was doing his groundbreaking work in the 60s, he didn’t have the advanced tools that breeders have today. He used something called “mutation breeding.” That method uses radiation or mutagenic chemicals to increase the number of gene mutations in a population of seeds and then a search is made for the extremely rare cases where the mutation is beneficial. Compared to modern biotechnology this is a pretty crude approach, but that was the only method Borlaug had to speed up the process of trait selection."

Doesn't sound to me like something that just happens on its own in nature, but I'm not a scientist.

Selective breeding doesn't either.

And then:
    "It is likely that he saved more human lives than any other person in history. He did it by developing far more productive wheat than had ever been grown. His “short stature” wheat had shorter, thicker stems so that it could hold bigger heads of grain that would otherwise “lodge” (collapse over on to the ground where it can’t be harvested). It was also resistant to the devastating wheat disease called “Stem Rust.”"

I would classify this as "fundamentally different", but again, I'm not a scientist...

By this criteria, every modification (by selective breeding or otherwise) will make the crop "fundamentally different".

Everything we eat is fundamentally different from that found in nature. Why do you think this is bad?

Well, his modifications were apparently significant enough to prevent mass starvation at the time.

And I don't, necessarily, think it is bad. (I don't actually know what you mean, in fact.)

Well, again, repeating myself, he mutated the stalk and the seeds.

Mutating the seeds had already been done, so he was just repeating an earlier accomplishment.

He also shortened the stalk. That? Not a change to the part we eat, but it allowed more food to grow on the same plant.

Can you see that he didn't really do anything that hadn't been done before but apply some science to a process that mankind had already engaged in 8,000 years prior, some good logical thinking (hey, it'll be too heavy if we make the seeds bigger, so... hmmm... shorter stalk!) and fear-mongering Luddites are making it sound like he adulterated the end product in doing so?

Yup, and as Wheelhouse mentioned earlier, another plant food that has been specifically bred to be different in the modern era is ALMONDS.

Paleolithic people didn't eat ALMONDS (but likely did eat the seeds of the wheat ancestor plants) because they were DEADLY POISONOUS.

But hybridized wheat=BAD and hybridized almonds=Paleo goodness. Riiiiiight.

I'm shocked at the lack of enthusiasm for my true-blue Paleo experience of bugs and beer. I am dissapoint.

Well, I think some enthusiasm is building for cricket flour in some quarters.

Last time we talked about cricket flour on MFP I got ads for Larvae on my page forever.

So thanks a lot!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Borlaug did nothing more than fancy, knowledge-enhanced selective breeding, a process that has been going on since man figured out he could do it.

He got a Nobel Prize because a lot of people saw it as an advancement towards solving world hunger.

There is nothing fundamentally different about the wheat.

Hmm, pretty sure you might be downplaying his contribution just a tad. I'm not going to get into a debate about it, and it's getting far, far away from the point of the thread, but I'll leave you with a few snippets from his obituary:

"When Borlaug was doing his groundbreaking work in the 60s, he didn’t have the advanced tools that breeders have today. He used something called “mutation breeding.” That method uses radiation or mutagenic chemicals to increase the number of gene mutations in a population of seeds and then a search is made for the extremely rare cases where the mutation is beneficial. Compared to modern biotechnology this is a pretty crude approach, but that was the only method Borlaug had to speed up the process of trait selection."

Doesn't sound to me like something that just happens on its own in nature, but I'm not a scientist.

Selective breeding doesn't either.

And then:
    "It is likely that he saved more human lives than any other person in history. He did it by developing far more productive wheat than had ever been grown. His “short stature” wheat had shorter, thicker stems so that it could hold bigger heads of grain that would otherwise “lodge” (collapse over on to the ground where it can’t be harvested). It was also resistant to the devastating wheat disease called “Stem Rust.”"

I would classify this as "fundamentally different", but again, I'm not a scientist...

By this criteria, every modification (by selective breeding or otherwise) will make the crop "fundamentally different".

Everything we eat is fundamentally different from that found in nature. Why do you think this is bad?

Well, his modifications were apparently significant enough to prevent mass starvation at the time.

And I don't, necessarily, think it is bad. (I don't actually know what you mean, in fact.)

Well, again, repeating myself, he mutated the stalk and the seeds.

Mutating the seeds had already been done, so he was just repeating an earlier accomplishment.

He also shortened the stalk. That? Not a change to the part we eat, but it allowed more food to grow on the same plant.

Can you see that he didn't really do anything that hadn't been done before but apply some science to a process that mankind had already engaged in 8,000 years prior, some good logical thinking (hey, it'll be too heavy if we make the seeds bigger, so... hmmm... shorter stalk!) and fear-mongering Luddites are making it sound like he adulterated the end product in doing so?

Yup, and as Wheelhouse mentioned earlier, another plant food that has been specifically bred to be different in the modern era is ALMONDS.

Paleolithic people didn't eat ALMONDS (but likely did eat the seeds of the wheat ancestor plants) because they were DEADLY POISONOUS.

But hybridized wheat=BAD and hybridized almonds=Paleo goodness. Riiiiiight.

I'm shocked at the lack of enthusiasm for my true-blue Paleo experience of bugs and beer. I am dissapoint.

There is a store not far from me, a candy shop in fact, that sells crickets, grubs, and worms, and some of them aren't even chocolate or candy coated. Yeah, I've been never tempted to try them.

I ate mopane worm in South Africa. Probably a tourist thing.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Rhetorical question, but how lame does one have to be to flag a post just because they don't like what someone says? ffmoz44ho5lv.jpg
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I was pointing out the ridiculousness of that poster saying they eat Paleo, and used sarcasm to illustrate it.

and then you came riding to the rescue....

Yeah after pages and pages of sarcasm I felt like saying something to at least one comment that stuck with me. Excuse my intrusion.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you are determined to stick with the whole30, I would suggest eating more starch and carbs from paleo sources. Grains do not have the monopoly on those things.

This is the only useful post for about the last 6 pages. Congratulations!

Says the person with nothing useful to say. Thanks for stopping in.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I know this came from the government proproganda USDA paper, but I found it interesting:

There is no crop plant in the modern, developed world – from grass and garden flowers, to wheat and rice – that
    is the same as it first existed when the Earth was formed, nor is the environment the same.

I want to highly emphasize the bold.

Also OP, while it may appear that there is a lot of arguing, most of us have very similar core values. Most would suggest getting 80 to 90% of your calories from nutrient dense foods and the remainder will be treats or foods you enjoy. And if this program is a stepping stone for you to get into a good routine of eating more nutrient dense foods, then great. There are tons of strategies to lose weight and become healthier. Finding that one that can help you sustain a plan to lose weight and get healthy is key.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MalineVD wrote: »
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    You'll learn other ways to feel full :)
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

almond butter was around in the Paleolithic era….really???

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

If you need more information, consider the following:

http://ultimatepaleoguide.com/almonds-paleo/

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=is+almond+paleo

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.

On the other side of the world right now, there's a sleeping archaeologist @Nony_Mouse. There. I just Betelgeused her in here.

If you want real Paleo info, she's got it. Not some Paleo blogs.

@MamaPeach910, you called? OMG so much wrong here already. Where to start?? Comments first on a few particularly gem-like things, then I'll work through the rest.

Not even going to touch the Adam and Eve thing.
    sweetd6 wrote: »
    My understanding is that Paleo doesn't have to be low carb

Good point. It's just stuff that was around when we couldn't speak proply. What was wheat doing back in the paleo era?

Growing wild, not being used because it's poisonous unless crushed into flour? LOL... before agriculture, wheat was not eaten in any form. We didn't know how to use it.

Yes it was, and yes we did. What, you seriously think people decided to start planting crops one day and went 'hey, I know, let's plant this thing we've never even eaten before!'. Yeah, nah.
    aggelikik wrote: »
    @ndj1979 really? that's your comment? Just because you thinks it's *kitten*, doesn't mean it couldn't work well for other people. Paleo isn't about eating buffalo's in your cave. It's about trying to be natural and pure and don't consume too much processed food, but focusing on nutrients our body needs. At least, that's my opinion and vision on paleo and the way I eat. Before someone else starts bashing too.
    Paleo is also just a name..
    You should support people who care enough about their health to try and eat in a more natural way.

There's a sort of presumption there, that other ways of eating don't focus on nutrition. It's false.

Dairy's not nutritious because it's processed? Beans have no nutrition because of some vague woo about phytic acid? There's a lot of psedo-science behind what's considered "natural" and not in Paleo circles. That's the problem a lot of us have with it.

I have no problems with people wanting to eat nutrient-dense foods. None at all. But the claims made in paleo circles about the foods they won't eat are specious.

Also? Put five Paleo eaters in a room. They'll all eat different things, and it's not because of taste preference, it'll be down to whose blogs they read.

I won't even go into how foolish it is to call it "Paleo". Real Paleolithic people ate whatever they could get their grubby little hands on to survive, and none of it looked like what's on your plate now.

Nooooo! You are saying that paleolithic people did not eat sausages and burgers?

If you believe the Paleo/Crossfit True Believers I know, cavefolk ate chocolate covered bacon and did a metric sht-ton of burpees.

The theories behind Paleo diets are anthropological fanfiction. Paleolithic people likely ate a lot of bugs and grubs. Funny you don't see that much these days.

Also, prehistoric people most definitely ate grains. They usually soaked them for extended periods of time...and often they would ferment. In fact, that lovely fermented soaked grain is often credited with inspiring the dawn of agriculture and more permanent human settlement.

That's right. They made beer, which inspired the creation of civilization as we know it. Huh. Maybe I'll start my own "ancient" diet. Bugs and beer for everyone!

^^This. See, you guys don't even need me!
    I've been eating paleo for almost 3 years now. Can't eat gluten due to healthproblems and also wanted to stop eating (added) sugars.
    The beginning is really hard. I was craving bread and pasta for weeks! You're also feeling the effects of no sugar.. Try to have moooooore protein and good fats. Snacks like an apple with almond butter always fill me up pretty good. I eat meat and fish and eggs like crazy and I always have home made soup in my fridge.

Dude, it's not whether almond butter was around the Paleolithic era, it's whether one could derive it from a source that would've been around in the Paleolithic era. If it's from a source that one would surmise was around to be eaten by our ancestors then one can conclude a derivative of it would be considered Paleo as well.

It's really easy to do a Google search on a food item and just ask a question regarding it. The Founder of Paleo is included in the search:

This is really simple stuff. Instead of picking apart someone's comment, try doing the research.

Right, so why are we excluding grains again on Faleo? And why are we including a bunch of stuff that flat out didn't exist (like pretty much every vegetable commonly eaten)? This has to be one of the dumbest explanations I've ever seen of Faleo's rules. It would actually rule out a bunch of stuff you guys do eat, and rule in loads that you don't.

And just when during the Paleolithic are we talking about? That era covers some 3.3 million years, since the emergence of the first stone tools (a date that just got pushed back from 2.6mya due to recent discoveries), up until the appearance of domesticated crops (a date which varies considerably geographically). And which hominin species? There were several around during the Paleolithic. Are we including Australopithicines, or only the Homo line? Only Anatomically Modern Homo Sapiens? What about geography? We'd actually managed to spread ourselves pretty far across the globe by the end of the Paleolithic, and geography plays a huge part in food availability.

The whole problem with Faleo is that it is built on completely false premises. I know some of you say 'it's just a name', but words have meaning, and that one conjures a particular (very long) period in human history, during which the many and varied diets of the people who lived during that time bore no resemblance to what any version of Faleo I've seen promotes. That's why I renamed it for you :)

Oh, as an aside, also saw somewhere that Paleolithic people couldn't speak properly. WTF??

Now I'm going to have some more coffee and read the rest of the thread.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

On the other side of the world right now, there's a sleeping archaeologist @Nony_Mouse. There. I just Betelgeused her in here.

@MamaPeach910, you called? OMG so much wrong here already. Where to start?? Comments first on a few particularly gem-like things, then I'll work through the rest.

Good point. It's just stuff that was around when we couldn't speak proply. What was wheat doing back in the paleo era?

Growing wild, not being used because it's poisonous unless crushed into flour? LOL... before agriculture, wheat was not eaten in any form. We didn't know how to use it.

Yes it was, and yes we did. What, you seriously think people decided to start planting crops one day and went 'hey, I know, let's plant this thing we've never even eaten before!'. Yeah, nah.
    @ndj1979 really? that's your comment? Just because you thinks it's *kitten*, doesn't mean it couldn't work well for other people. Paleo isn't about eating buffalo's in your cave. It's about trying to be natural and pure and don't consume too much processed food, but focusing on nutrients our body needs. At least, that's my opinion and vision on paleo and the way I eat. Before someone else starts bashing too.
    You should support people who care enough about their health to try and eat in a more natural way.

There's a sort of presumption there, that other ways of eating don't focus on nutrition. It's false.

Dairy's not nutritious because it's processed? Beans have no nutrition because of some vague woo about phytic acid? There's a lot of psedo-science behind what's considered "natural" and not in Paleo circles. That's the problem a lot of us have with it.

I have no problems with people wanting to eat nutrient-dense foods. None at all. But the claims made in paleo circles about the foods they won't eat are specious.

Also? Put five Paleo eaters in a room. They'll all eat different things, and it's not because of taste preference, it'll be down to whose blogs they read.

I won't even go into how foolish it is to call it "Paleo". Real Paleolithic people ate whatever they could get their grubby little hands on to survive, and none of it looked like what's on your plate now.

Nooooo! You are saying that paleolithic people did not eat sausages and burgers?

If you believe the Paleo/Crossfit True Believers I know, cavefolk ate chocolate covered bacon and did a metric sht-ton of burpees.

The theories behind Paleo diets are anthropological fanfiction. Paleolithic people likely ate a lot of bugs and grubs. Funny you don't see that much these days.

Also, prehistoric people most definitely ate grains. They usually soaked them for extended periods of time...and often they would ferment. In fact, that lovely fermented soaked grain is often credited with inspiring the dawn of agriculture and more permanent human settlement.

That's right. They made beer, which inspired the creation of civilization as we know it. Huh. Maybe I'll start my own "ancient" diet. Bugs and beer for everyone!

Right, so why are we excluding grains again on Faleo? And why are we including a bunch of stuff that flat out didn't exist (like pretty much every vegetable commonly eaten)? This has to be one of the dumbest explanations I've ever seen of Faleo's rules. It would actually rule out a bunch of stuff you guys do eat, and rule in loads that you do.

And just when during the Paleolithic are we talking about? That era covers some 3.3 million years, since the emergence of the first stone tools (a date that just got pushed back from 2.6mya due to recent discoveries), up until the appearance of domesticated crops (a date which varies considerably geographically). And which hominin species? There were several around during the Paleolithic. Are we including Australopithicines, or only the Homo line? Only Anatomically Modern Homo Sapiens? What about geography? We'd actually managed to spread ourselves pretty far across the globe by the end of the Paleolithic, and geography plays a huge part in food availability.

The whole problem with Faleo is that it is built on completely false premises. I know some of you say 'it's just a name', but words have meaning, and that one conjures a particular (very long) period in human history, during which the many and varied diets of the people who lived during that time bore no resemblance to what any version of Faleo I've seen promotes. That's why I renamed it for you :)

Oh, as an aside, also saw somewhere that Paleolithic people couldn't speak properly. WTF??

Am I the only one who feels a little aroused after reading that?

(I've got a brain fetish that only a zombie could rival)
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Shwing-worthy.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

It was all the beer. Let to a lot of slurring. Drunk gluttons, those Paleo folk.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Right, so why are we excluding grains again on Faleo? And why are we including a bunch of stuff that flat out didn't exist (like pretty much every vegetable commonly eaten)? This has to be one of the dumbest explanations I've ever seen of Faleo's rules. It would actually rule out a bunch of stuff you guys do eat, and rule in loads that you do.

Am I the only one who feels a little aroused after reading that?

(I've got a brain fetish that only a zombie could rival)

smart_is_sexy_by_ecchiusagi-d3iied1.jpg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

It was all the beer. Let to a lot of slurring. Drunk gluttons, those Paleo folk.

Oh I am so in for that then!

want-beer.gif
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Suddenly I'm rethinking this Paleo stuff...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Thanks, y'all. To answer your question, I'm giving this a shot for 30 days as a way to encourage me to be more deliberate about cooking and eating and to add more recipes to my repertoire. I hate to think I'm "cheating," but ultimately, I've got to listen to my body. I think I might start sneaking a bowl of oatmeal in in the morning to help fuel the runs and workouts.

When you start using words like 'sneaking' in reference to food choices, it raises all sorts of red flags. How is this creating a healthy attitude towards food? OP-I get wanting to try something new and exciting, but really-you don't have to go to such extremes to get the results you want. I self-taught myself to cook and bake as I lost weight. I have hundreds of recipes printed out from food.com that I can actually make now, without burning my house down lol. Take your time, figure out what's going to be sustainable for you long term and then work on making positive changes, one at a time :)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Well, surely if the new-wave Paleo means that you get to be arbitrary, you could totally drop the whole bugs bit, right?

Just go straight for the brewsky. :drinker:
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why can't people just eat fruit and veggies and meat without being attacked because they called it "Paleo"? lol.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    smelius22 wrote: »
    Why can't people just eat fruit and veggies and meat without being attacked because they called it "Paleo"? lol.

Why can't people just eat fruit and veggies and meat without giving it a silly name?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Are sweet potatoes not carbs? What about normal potatoes? Can I eat a load of fries or a 200g of potato chips if I'm paleoing?

who knows…apparently you can claim Paleo but not eat anything like Paleo Peoples but still be paleo …sounds like a legit way of eating...

There is no way we could eat exactly as our caveman ancestors did. However we can use the principles of how they ate and apply them to our choices in the current environment.

The principles of how Paleolithic people ate? My profile tag line covers that pretty well - "A real paleo diet = anything you can ingest that doesn't kill you, while avoiding anything that might kill you if it gets the chance."

Also, 'cavemen' is a misnomer.
This discussion has been closed.