I still feel fat

I'm 5'4" and 128 pounds. I've lost 47 pounds over the last year and a half. And I still feel fat. Partly because I have cellulite on my thighs and I can see back fat. So fitness tips for those areas would be helpful. Additionally my weight loss has hit a plateau so it's frsutrating.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Lifting weights did wonders for my body composition.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Heavy lifting.
  • Linovitz
    Linovitz Posts: 79 Member
    I am in pretty much the same position. I am 5'4" and 135 lbs and 51 years old. I lost around 53 pounds over the last year. I still don't feel quite accomplished yet. However, my weight hasn't moved in more than a month, so I think I am done with weight loss. I am not really willing to lower my calories, as I average around 1300 a day. I already workout 4-6 times per week - sometimes cardio, sometimes weight-lifting - including working with a great personal trainer once per week. So I don't think there is much room to increase exercise. Other than toning and strengthening, I think I am done. Rather than a weight goal, my new goal is to be able to do a pull up - maybe two! I also would appreciate any words of wisdom from the group.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Like everyone else has said.....heavy lifting: Bench Press, Pullups, Deadlifts, and Squats as your main exercises of focus.
  • Linovitz
    Thanks. Bench press, Pullups, Deadlifts and Squats are already part of my weightlifting routines, so I will just keep on going with that.
  • ew_david
    OP, you don't need that ^^
  • Hopeful146
    Hopeful146 Posts: 5 Member
    I am really intimidated by weights, so any specific advice in that area would be appreciated - thanks
  • ew_david
    Hopeful146 wrote: »
    I am really intimidated by weights, so any specific advice in that area would be appreciated - thanks

Most of us have been there. Start with a beginner program like Stronglifts. There is a book called Starting Strength that is a good read too. Then, go to YouTube to see the movement of the lift and start practicing your form. It's really easy to injure yourself if you're not careful. Last, go to the free weight section of the gym and lift. People are (mostly) concerned with their own workout that they're not paying attention to anyone else.
  • Linovitz
    If you can afford it, hire a good personal trainer for 30 minutes per week. They can help you get started with weight lifting and make sure your form is correct, weight is appropriate, etc. Then, you can do the rest of your weekly workouts without the trainer. In future sessions, the trainer can help with increasing weight and adding some variety, like working with free weights, cables, machines, etc. It will also help with the intimidation factor.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Adopt a barbell. It'll become your best friend.
  • Hopeful146
    Hopeful146 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    I'm very similar to you...I'm about 5'3 and bounce between 128 and 132 pounds. Over the past 18 months I have lost about 135 pounds. I still feel huge. Like other posters have said...lift heavy...I'm feeling so much better about my body since I started lifting weights!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Hopeful146 wrote: »

Most of us have been there. Start with a beginner program like Stronglifts. There is a book called Starting Strength that is a good read too. Then, go to YouTube to see the movement of the lift and start practicing your form. It's really easy to injure yourself if you're not careful. Last, go to the free weight section of the gym and lift. People are (mostly) concerned with their own workout that they're not paying attention to anyone else.

Excellent advice.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 969 Member
    You have fat eyes. Our eyes do not seem to keep pace with our shrinking waistlines. Also, we are programmed to look for flaws so we focus on cellulite instead of on a newly flat stomach or arms that are no longer batwing. Try some weights and try being kinder to yourself.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    How long does weight lifting take? I've done moderate strength training for years and I've never seen a different in my body. And I do mean moderate. I probably do about 20 minutes every other day because I just don't have patience exercising. I can hike for hours, but more than 40 minutes in a gym depresses me.
  • ew_david
    cj94404 wrote: »
    How long does weight lifting take? I've done moderate strength training for years and I've never seen a different in my body. And I do mean moderate. I probably do about 20 minutes every other day because I just don't have patience exercising. I can hike for hours, but more than 40 minutes in a gym depresses me.

It depends on what you're doing, but with what you describe, I'm not surprised you didn't see any change. Starting out, Stronglifts routines will take about 40 minutes. Once the weight gets heavier, it takes longer. But if you're just throwing weights around with no rhyme or reason, you're really just wasting your time.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    cj94404 wrote: »
    I think you've really just answered your own question. True body composition changes take regular, intense, progressive strength training.