Camping on a diet...

Options
2»

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No way would I pass up ribs! Better to have a small portion than no portion! I love to go camping, and it's not so hard to stay in your calories with some planning and paying attention to portion sizes. (I only have one s'more now instead of three haha)
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Camping doesn't count. Lots of reasons for that. But...

1) You have to live life. You can't avoid things becuase you might eat food; that's ridiculous.

2) Camping is awesome, and it doesn't matter what you eat. You're not going to get fat in one weekend, or whatever. It's not going to happen, even if you tried to do it on purpose. The body doesn't work like that.

3) I'm very active when I camp. And, all the beer counter acts the activity, so it's a break-even situation.

4) There's smores. Deal with it. Have a few and enjoy your life.

My kind of guy!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Camping doesn't count. Lots of reasons for that. But...

1) You have to live life. You can't avoid things becuase you might eat food; that's ridiculous.

2) Camping is awesome, and it doesn't matter what you eat. You're not going to get fat in one weekend, or whatever. It's not going to happen, even if you tried to do it on purpose. The body doesn't work like that.

3) I'm very active when I camp. And, all the beer counter acts the activity, so it's a break-even situation.

4) There's smores. Deal with it. Have a few and enjoy your life.

QFT.

We go camping several times during the summer. There are also birthdays, holidays, weddings, family reunions, and pizza parties at work.

Sometimes I said no, usually I exercised portion control, and sometimes I forgot that I don't still weigh 300+ pounds and I ate way too much.

Yet I still managed to lose 133 pounds in 15 months, and I've been keeping it off for 9 and counting.

Enjoy your camping trip. Eat the barbecue. If you're awesome 95% of the time, it's okay to eat what you like 5% of the time. It's called balance and enjoying your life. I know you don't want to backtrack, but the best way to lose weight and keep it off, in my experience, is choosing sustainable plans. Constant deprivation ain't sustainable.
  • Tara_238
    Tara_238 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a bit of a problem for me. I go camping every weekend for the entire summer starting with memorial day. I am losing a pound a week so I am not stressing yet. I eat what everyone eats I just use some portion control. I drink water instead of beer and I keep moving.
  • snicks55
    snicks55 Posts: 1
    Options
    If you stick to meat and veggies from the fire, nuts and eggs. Avoid all sweets, drink plenty of water, and stay physical you should be fine.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I go camping A LOT in the summer time. I always pack my own cooler of food for the weekend:

Breakfast: eggs (or whites) over the fire w/ sliced ham, whole wheat toast, fresh fruit

Lunch: Chicken over the fire (I bring raw breasts in a baggie or container), mixed veggies over the fire (i'll chop up a variety-peppers, onions, zucchini, etc. and bring in a bowl. Pour a little fat free italian over them and wrap in foil, cook with chicken) with a prepared salad on the side with almonds, veggies & cottage cheese

Dinner: I usually bring a salmon or tilapia fillet and cook over the fire. With it, I'll wrap a head of cabbage and throw in the fire (I hollow it out where the "stem" is and fill with fat free italian and chopped garlic) and make a baked sweet potato in the fire.

I bring bananas, peanut butter, dark chocolate, fruit, nuts and protein bars for if I want a snack.

I'll usually have a couple spoon fulls of whatever other people are having (potato salad, beans, etc.) but I don't usually go for a whole serving. I find that with the above foods that I prepare for myself I get pretty full to begin with.

Edit to add: If I know I'm going to want hot dogs (gasp!) that weekend, I'll go for turkey dogs and use low carb wraps instead of buns. It's pretty good topped with sauerkraut and mustard!

Can I go camping with you? That sound absolutely delicious!!!!!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a "diet", but my lifestyle does exclude many foods that most people take for granted. I have no issue with eating properly while camping; in fact, I find it easy. My diet is based on animals and vegetables mostly, so it's steaks and salad, bacon and eggs, etc. Yum.
  • emilydiehl08
    Options
    We go camping every weekend pretty much but I make sure to prep some healthy food before. We are extremely active on our camping trips, taking long hikes and bike rides. I usually will cut up potatoes and onions and wrap them in foil with salt, pepper, garlic and some EVOO. Or we do sweet potatoes with just a tiny bit of honey and cinnamon (not super healthy but yummy). I put peanut butter in jars and maybe some celery for snacking or make a healthy trail mix. We also make breakfast burritos ahead of time and cook them in foil on the fire. I take my vegan Boca pattys and the BF cooks them over the grill grate or my turkey dogs on a stick!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You mentioned not wanting to backslide for 10 lbs, remember this-- a lb is 3,500 calories. To backslide 10 lbs you would have to consume 35,000 calories over your normal allotment. That is a staggering amount in a short camping trip... to put it in perspective, that is roughly 33 lbs of hamburger or 82 cups of pull pork with bbq sauce or 218 medium baked potatoes or 450 ears of corn on the cob.

Just be sure to eat reasonable portions and spend plenty of time hiking and doing things with the kids (swimming is great too!)