Food Choices

AshRN06
AshRN06 Posts: 2 Member
A co-worker of mine recently told me that a doctor told her that actually eating oatmeal and yogurts were not "the best" for weight loss, that sticking to more proteins was better. Thoughts? Advice? Oatmeal and greek yogurt are lower calories than eggs so that's why I have been choosing those foods. Of course I do eat protein throughout the day but my example was for breakfast foods.

Replies

• stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    A lot of it will depend on the type of oatmeal and yogurt. If you're using instant oatmeal full of sugar and flavored yogurts full of sugars then those might not be the best option. A serving of plain oatmeal with some egg whites would be a great option. I also like to use Fage Total 0 Greek yogurt.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    I'm no expert and certainly not a doctor but he was probably steering her to eating low carbs. More lean proteins, low carbs. For me, I eat high fiber foods for my high cholesterol. I tried low carbs once, I was miserably weak. Personally, I feel like people have to figure out what works for them and go with it. Everyone is different. I do find that if I mix proteins with higher fiber foods that I stay full longer.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Doctors are not dietitians. Unless she is severely overweight and drastically reducing calories, moderate protein is fine. High protein is only necessary under very specific circumstances. Yogurt and oatmeal are both perfectly healthy.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    aside from any medical conditions....
    Overall calories in your day is what is important.....if you are trying to lose weight

Not saying one food is good while another is bad....and should be avoided.
  • AshRN06
    AshRN06 Posts: 2 Member
    I usually eat plain oatmeal and I do use the Fage Total 0 Greek yogurt with some splenda and fresh fruit added and sometimes add some walnuts! Thanks for the input!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Protein can keep you fuller longer. I had eggs AND Greek yogurt (which only came in a gram lower in protein than my two eggs did) for breakfast today.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Most yogurt has protein so I don't know what they're smoking lol. Maybe they were advising against the high sugar ones?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    your friends doctor is an idiot.

all that is needed for weight loss is a calorie deficit. So if those foods put you in a surplus, then yes they are not good for weight loss; however, if you are eating in a calorie deficit then there is nothing wrong with them.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Doctors are not dietitians. Unless she is severely overweight and drastically reducing calories, moderate protein is fine. High protein is only necessary under very specific circumstances. Yogurt and oatmeal are both perfectly healthy.

So true. Doctors specialize for a reason. Just as I wouldn't complain to my optometrist about a toothache, I wouldn't talk to my GP about diet and nutrition.