HELP! I'm always STARVING!

Options
124»

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    mistydring wrote: »
    Try adding in more low-calorie, low-sugar, high-fiber fruits and veggies and pair it with a little fat and/or protein for staying power. Berries with a (measured) tablespoon of full-fat sour cream and a sprinkle of stevia are one of my favorite snacks when I'm really struggling to make it through. Other really good options: leafy greens with homemade vinaigrette, fresh herbs, and either avocado or a hard-boiled egg; cucumber wrapped in a bit of turkey breast; apple or banana with a (measured) tablespoon of peanut butter; a small serving of oatmeal with milk.

Also if you can move away from processed store-bought foods and towards homemade ones, that would probably help you out. I saw potato chips listed in your diary pretty often. There is nothing wrong with having potato chips here and there if it fits into your goals, but if you roasted whole potatoes at home with just a bit of oil or baked them (and were careful about your toppings), you would be able to eat a much larger volume of potatoes for the same number of calories, so it would help you feel a lot fuller. Same with some of the other snack items/desserts. Try swapping them out for whole, unprocessed foods and you'll get more bang for your buck. If you really need something sweet that isn't fruit, a few squares of high-quality dark chocolate, savored slowly, can go a long way.

Exercise (healthy) and caffeine (erm...healthy in moderation) also help suppress the appetite. So as counter-intuitive as it may seem, if you are really suffering try going for a short (10-20 minutes), leisurely walk. Sometimes when it is getting close to dinner time I feel like I'm going to faint I'm so hungry, and then my husband and I take our dog for a walk, and when I get home I feel like I could go hours without eating! A cup of coffee (black, or with a small measured splash of cream) can also really help put the hunger pangs to sleep for a bit.

But I think the other advice, about learning to not be afraid of a little hunger and to try to accept and embrace it (as long as you are still mostly functional, that is!) is also on-target. I'm still working on this myself as well. Good luck!

This is all really great advice. +1!