Sore Glute

slp51
slp51 Posts: 201 Member
Hey, what do you do for a sore (very sore) glute besides stretching?

Replies

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Foam Roller. I think these have saved me a lot of pain since I learned how to use them.

I swear by those things and I find it really interesting how many gyms do not have them on hand or give you a blank stare when you ask about them.
  • StereophoneyGaz
    StereophoneyGaz Posts: 406 Member
    Foam roller and a hot bath :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    slp51 wrote: »

Your next scheduled workout
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Just keep moving and enjoy the suffering a bit. Also make sure you jog around a bit before stretching...you'll do more harm than good stretching a cold strained muscle.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    I love my foam roller. It will feel uncomfortable at first but then I feel much better.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Also lacrosse balls.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    DavPul wrote: »

This. You'll feel better once you actually start working again.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member

^^This, also is it just 1 glute? If so, maybe check your form on whatever you were doing. Both should be sore IMO, I am not a professional though. I know everyone favors one side over the other but the other one should be atleast somewhat sore?

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Drink plenty of water, self-myofascial release, keep it mildly active, get good sleep.
  • slp51
    self-myofascial release.

Don't know what that is, but I'll do it! (I'll ask my physical therapist.) thanks!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Glute massages and backshots.
  • slp51

^^This, also is it just 1 glute? If so, maybe check your form on whatever you were doing. Both should be sore IMO, I am not a professional though. I know everyone favors one side over the other but the other one should be atleast somewhat sore?

Well, I'm an anomaly. My left side is a lot weaker than the right side due to childhood polio. I push the left side as hard as I can, but stagnant and atrophied muscles are stubborn. Thus, the right side does most of the work and takes the beating.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    self-myofascial release.

Don't know what that is, but I'll do it! (I'll ask my physical therapist.) thanks!

It is where you use a foam roller and/or a ball (softball, lacrosse ball) to apply direct pressure to the muscle (rolling). When you find a sore spot (you’ll know), you keep the pressure on until the muscle releases and the pain subsides. Then you move round the muscle until you find other spots.

This is good when you’re sore and to improve mobility.
  • slp51
    self-myofascial release.

It is where you use a foam roller and/or a ball (softball, lacrosse ball) to apply direct pressure to the muscle (rolling). When you find a sore spot (you’ll know), you keep the pressure on until the muscle releases and the pain subsides. Then you move round the muscle until you find other spots.

This is good when you’re sore and to improve mobility.

I do have a foam roller, and I rolled my sore glute on it for about 2-3 minutes. I did not keep the pressure on, though. It feels much better but I'll do the pressure thing when I get back home.

Thanks!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Frozen water bottle as a roller.