Eat your "calories burned" ?

Options
2»

Replies

• ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I eat according to my TDEE minus 20% which is 1700 - 1800. On occasion if I am famished I will eat up to 2000-2100 which would be my maintenance numbers. Since doing Insanity I have needed more food for fuel.
  • geminijo04
    geminijo04 Posts: 31
    Options
    Quesion: my husband and I are doing Insaity everyday after work, around 6pm, and then again Saturday mornings around 10am. Is it OK to eat some of the calories we burned doing Insanity? Let's say I have 500 calories left of my daily count. But I burn 630 during Insanity. Should I or should I not eat the 1130 calories for the day?

Yes, especially if the exercise puts you under your BMR when you net the exercise in.

What is BMR?
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Quesion: my husband and I are doing Insaity everyday after work, around 6pm, and then again Saturday mornings around 10am. Is it OK to eat some of the calories we burned doing Insanity? Let's say I have 500 calories left of my daily count. But I burn 630 during Insanity. Should I or should I not eat the 1130 calories for the day?

Yes, especially if the exercise puts you under your BMR when you net the exercise in.

What is BMR?

Basal metabolic rate - effectively, it's the number of calories your body would need to keep things running; heart beat, brain function, respiration, waste processing, etc, if you were comatose. That's why it's usually not good to eat below that number - your body can react poorly if it doesn't see enough coming in to cover the basics.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a debate here...well, there shouldn't be. MFP is a NEAT method calculator (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). If you set your activity level correctly, it should NOT include exercise as a part of your daily activity. Exercise is extra activity with a NEAT method calculator, thus that activity needs to be fueled. If people actually did some research on the tool they were using this wouldn't be an issue. Also, if people opened up a dictionary and looked up the word goal, that would help too.

The problem that many have is that they over-estimate. If your burn sounds unreasonable, it probably is. Truth be told, it is rather difficult to get huge burns...they require hours of exercise which is also just ****ing stupid. Also, people fail to deduct their BMR calories for that period of time they were exercising...'cuz you would have burned some calories anyway just sitting on your *kitten*. Also, everything is an estimate...machines are estimates...data bases tend to be very wild estimates...your most accurate is a HRM, but even it is an estimate. I believe there was a study done on Polar models that showed them to be about 70% accurate for an aerobic event.

Lastly, don't log stupid **** like cleaning the house and what not.

I lost 40 Lbs with MFP's NET calorie goal to lose 1 Lb per week and ate back roughly 70% of my exercise calories to account for estimation error. On average I lost about 1 lb per week just as I intended. My gross calories were roughly equivalent to my gross calories using the TDEE method for calorie counting...they're 6 of 1 if you're doing it right.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Also, if people opened up a dictionary and looked up the word goal, that would help too.

Especially this. I've seen more than one person treating a goal like it wasn't something they should HIT, but that they should try to stay away from. This is neither horseshoes nor hand-grenades, so don't fear your goal - HIT IT.