So i noticed yesterday I was bagged at the gym... amazing what a few extra carbs did for that.

Options
So yesterday I was part way through my 5k on the treadmill, had done about 8k on the elliptical of my normal 15k, and about 4k of my 6k rowing... And I was bagged. I just couldn't... it was somewhat abnormal. I was thinking to myself... Perhaps you need a rest day.. lol. However, last night... late late last night. Alright 2am this morning, I was watching the MTL TB game, and out of the ordinary for me, ate two oatmeal raisin cookies, a togo portion of krave cereal and a togo porgion of cocoa puffs. Its all i had on me, and felt kinda bad for it after. But I logged it and went to sleep. Still well under my net calorie goal of 1500. Surprise, surprise... today at the gym, I rowed 7km, 18km elliptical, and ran 6km. Felt absolutely fine and energetic through the run... And was prettg much wow!!! So no need for the rest day, but that bit of carb loading (not gonna lie, *kitten* carb loading) seems to have boosted my energy levels very well.

Bit of background, i've been striving for 30P, 50F, 20C as my body works best with fewer carbs... But in this case, it seems that being chronically under my cals, and low carb; sapped my energy quite substantially. Has anyone else hit a wall like this? And if so, did they find they really had to push to eat more of their calories?

Thanks!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So do you have rest days?

You've learned if you fuel your workouts you have the energy to perform?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your body works best with fewer carbs? You just told a story which indicates the exact opposite.

Carbs are energy. They are important. Your performance will be terrible without them. Just a fact of life, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Are you sure your body works best with fewer carbs? You just told a story which indicates the exact opposite.

Carbs are energy. They are important. Your performance will be terrible without them. Just a fact of life, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it.

^This. Do you have a medical reason to limit carbs? From what you said about your training, which seems to be high intensity, I don't understand why you would aim for so few carbs. While low carb or even keto adaptation has been shown in some studies to not have a negative effect on certain training performances, it is also studied that for high intensity training, low carb or keto has a negative effect and isn't optimal (muscle glycogen is required).
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you've only started eating low carb, it's possible you're suffering from the "carb flu", which can be avoided by upping your electrolytes a bit. If you have been doing low carb for a while now, then you're already adapted and shouldn't be having any issues with working out.