just getting started...so many options....lost

Options
icanplay3
icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
I have been dealing with plantar fascitis lately so my heel and ankle have been in a lot of pain and sometimes its even hard to walk on it. I have broken my spine in 3 different places in the past - it has healed now but I still get some back pain from time to time. I was also in a car accident that damaged both of my knees when I was young so I also get knee pain from too much walking or high impact exercise. I want to start exercising and "toning" my body but I don't even know where to start! How many times a week should I do a cardio exercise, and for how long, and lifting weights - how many reps and how many pounds?? Do I need to hire a trainer or can you all help me out with some ideas of where to begin. There are tons of youtube videos out there too...it just feels overwhelming right now. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physical therapist? Are there limits on what you can do without risking recurrence or further injury? To be safe, if you don't know that answer then I strongly recommend you see a doctor or PT and find out.

There are several weight lifting programs that people here use. I'm thinking about starting "Stronglifts 5x5", there are others though like Strong Curves, Nerd Fitness, etc etc. Go through the threads in this forum and you'll see at least a few posts about each. Read through them and see what appeals to you. All of them will be effective :)
  • icanplay3
    Options
    I don't think I will "re-injure" myself as long as I don't do too high impact exercise. I think walking will be fine but running is probably out of the question. The injuries happened quite a few years ago. So should I just do a search here for these things you've mentioned? Are they regimens to follow?
  • icanplay3
    Options
    Oh sorry ...I did forget to mention that I have seen a doctor recently. My bloodwork came back perfect - shocking for someone obese like myself. Haha...the xray showed my spine is completely healed and I do not have any restrictions for activity. :)
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I also have plantar fascitis, and it does at times make running and even walking hard, but I have found that a really good pair of insoles help. My exercise of choice is spinning and swimming. Both are great workouts and have little impact.
    Good Luck~
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have some stress fractures healing in my legs right now and I do the bike and swim. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be cleared for yoga when I go to my next checkup. I also lift weights although right now it is always "arm day". You might want to check with your doctor prior to lifting with severe back injuries in the past.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you've been cleared by your doctor, I would just start trying things out. Experiment and see what makes you feel good and what you like doing. Something you dread isn't going to lead to good results because you won't do it. Something which really helped me after having three abdominal/pelvic surgeries was trying different body "awareness" type activities (dance fitness, yoga, belly dancing) because I learned how I moved, what didn't move well, where I needed to focus etc.

For me, I stretch almost everyday and do some "across the floors" (its a dance thing) because they make me feel good in the morning. Then I do a variety of activities in the evening depending on what my goals are.

• mhesselein
    mhesselein Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also have plantar fasciitis, and have found that hooping (hula hooping) is great for a low impact cardio workout, and it's fun. For inspiration, go to youtube and search hoop weight loss. Some ladies have created amazing results for themselves!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    icanplay3 wrote: »
    I don't think I will "re-injure" myself as long as I don't do too high impact exercise. I think walking will be fine but running is probably out of the question. The injuries happened quite a few years ago. So should I just do a search here for these things you've mentioned? Are they regimens to follow?

Yes, exactly - those are weightlifting progression (i.e. the goal being to heavier over time) programs so they will give you how much to lift and when and which lifts to do. They are all different so see which fit with your schedule and what equipment you have on hand, as well as which ones you just feel more into trying out. You can look online for the exact programs but here in the forums and groups you'll get a lot of feedback, people's likes and dislikes, successes and struggles with each which I have found invaluable.
  • icanplay3
    Options
    I love swimming...and I haven't done any swimming since I started MFP several months ago! I can definitely do that! Insoles...yes great idea! The bike...yes. All of these are excellent ideas! Thanks so much !! :)