runners: after injury how to go about restarting marathon training (6 weeks out)

Options
dawnna76
dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
on April 12th I injured my groin with a grade II groin strain. I was put on rest from running but was able to do non weight bearing exercises for the last three weeks (eliptical, water jogging, strenght training) which i have done. yesterday was my first run (okay really a jog since im a plodder at 12:00 miles)i went three miles pain free and feel good today, groin is a little tight but not sore.

so up to april 12th I was up to my longest run at 14 miles. training plan called for two 8 miles runs and one 16 on my long run days in the weeks I missed. longhest run in training was set to be a 20 miler three weeks out and then taper.

how would you approach getting back into training, so as not to set myself up fro reinjury? my goal is just to complete this marathon as its my first and i was never going for time. heck even in my most fittest condition as a plodder i was looking at a 5:30 finsih.

Replies

• ChiefMichael
    ChiefMichael Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To set the context of my post, (you probably know this but) there is an inverse relationship between volume and intensity. As one goes up, the other goes down. If both variables remain high, injuries occur.

I would suggest high volume (frequency) initially, with low intensity (relative to what would be considered intense for yourself). So, running more frequently with longer recover times and avoiding fatigue will prime the CNS for greater future workload.

Listen to your body. If there are warning signs listen. A day or two off will not impact the long term progression, but pushing through pain could elicit unnecessary injuries.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Qualified professional.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    What is the date of your race? If you still have 4-5 weeks, you could try for the 16 miler you missed if you feel up to it, and then maybe the 20 if you can (or scale back to 18), and then do a taper of 12 miles and 8 miles pre-race. But definitely keep all the miles easy, and keep doing whatever PT exercises you've been given to make sure you don't restrain your groin even closer to race day.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    CHIEFMICHAEL: high fregency low intensity seems to be what was promoted when i googled, thank you.

KRISINEGIFT: I think the farthest im going to get is up to 18. i read some about negitive splits and running the second half faster than the first and starting the race easy will almost guarentee a stronger finsh. I think that is the route i am going to go.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen before my first marathon. I had a different injury (compartment syndrome in both calves and a stress fracture in one shin), that required a bit of rest and prevented me from getting beyond a 13 mile training run leading up to the taper weeks. I got a few runs in the two weeks before, but definitely did not push too hard. I managed to run 22 miles (with walking through the water stations - highly recommended) before I had to walk up and run down the remaining hills. I managed to finish in 4:56. I would gradually build to that 16 or 18 miler if you can. Maybe add a mile per run to that 3 miler you did until you get to 7 or 8, then add 2 to the long run (10 miles), followed by that 7, 7, 14 or 8, 8, 16 week. That 20 miler 3 weeks out is more of a guide than a hard rule.
  • fitchick256
    fitchick256 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think for most people the first marathon is a long slow slog. I know mine was littered with tears and leg cramps anyway. At the end it really felt worth it. I think longer slow runs are best for marathon prep instead of high intensity short workouts (which won't get you across the finish line).

With six weeks to go, I would plan on the following long runs - 14, 16, 18, 16, 12, 8. I would cross train the rest of your workouts by continuing the low impact work you've been doing.

And if I could do my first marathon over again, I would average the pace of my long runs and start 30 seconds/mile slower. Maintain that pace to mile 22 and see how you feel. Even now, four years later, marathons are a beast.

Also - if you are on a walk/run plan, incorporate that into the advice above.

You can do this - most of finishing a marathon is making the commitment to finish.