Is this possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    She may not realize how much she's eating, especially if she's snacking. That was a big one for me. I would grab a bag of something thinking i'd only eat a little bit. Only to find i've eaten the whole bag while at the computer or reading because it didn't register what i was doing. I think the first step would be to get her thyroid under control, then talk to her doctor about weight loss. It'll be a slow process, but hopefully worth it to her.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Jasmunr wrote: »
    People who have thyroid issues Have a hard time losing weight. From my understanding medicine is needed to correct the issue.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. I'm 5'2" and eat way more than 1,280 calories.

OP, your friend gained 7 lbs. in 3 months because she ate more calories than she burned. Period. Tell her to read the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My guess would be she needs to visit the doctor again and her her blood tested. She's supposed to do this every 3 months for Hypothyroidism. Her dosage is probably incorrect.

Also, does your friend drink alcohol? You have to count those calories too! :)

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Nop. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Your "friend" is ... less than honest about consumption.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Tweakfish wrote: »
    I have a friend (no it's actually not me) who claims to be legitimately unable to lose weight. For the past three months she used the "My Fit Foods" program. http://www.myfitfoods.com/.

She says that she did not sway from the course AT ALL and ate exactly 1280 calories every day. She is heavier (over 200 lbs) and is aboutg 5 foot 3.

She does have a thyroid disorder and the medications she tried in the past made her feel even worse. In addition to this since she has the preexisting condition of obesity it is very expensive for her to get healthcare.

Over the course of these 3 months she gained 7 pounds. Initially I thought the program must just be a sham and that she was consuming much more calories than she thought. Now I'm not so sure- the program looks decently legitimate.

Is this even possible? Are there instances like this where people legitimately cannot lose weight? She had a doctor tell her that he assumes she "destroyed" her metabolism by fasting in the past.

Just curious and am wondering if anyone here has insight.

Thanks!

no i dont believe her
    you have factors than can slow down weight loss. But eating less than you burn results in weight loss
    simple and plain

And you know what, you can tell yourself that you eat less or cant lose weight
    But your body is the perfect calculator and counts every single calorie you put in your mouth.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I do believe she is not giving you all the information.

This.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    vschwgrt1 wrote: »
    I hate to say that something is impossible to believe, but I also know that it is extremely easy to not count every calorie you consume. It's way harder to be accurate than not. I also have a diagnosed thyroid condition and I'm old.
    I keep myself slightly under my calorie goal, swim everyday, don't eat back my exercise calories (I think MFP is way generous with the amount). I count EVERY bite that goes in my mouth!! I've lost 30 lbs in the last 4 months. And again, I'M OLD!!!

Another OLD person with thyroid problems losing weight. I exercise less than you due to other extenuating health issues and have still lost almost 40 pounds in the last 5 1/5 months.

I have a feeling we don't have all the information on your friend's situation.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    It is really not likely unless she's 4'5".

As regards the hypoythroidism - even then. If she were undermedicated/improperly medicated enough that 1200-1300 calories/day were halting her weight loss, she'd most likely be feeling it in other ways too. Is she? I know when I was bad enough that I couldn't lose weight on 1300 calories or so per day (at age 40+, sedentary and very short, 5'1"), I was literally laid out on the couch. I was bursting into tears each morning wondering how I was physically going to stand up and get out of bed. During that time (not yet DXd or medicated) my lightbulb moment was driving home from dropping my son off at preschool. I had a two-mile drive and had so little energy that I knew I wasn't going to make it the whole two miles. I was actually having trouble getting the energy to push the car pedals and was so scared that I pulled into a parking lot. There's more to this story but I won't bore you.

Obviously that's just me but even at that point I didn't gain on 1200 calories, that much I do remember.

That's not discounting finding, and keeping, a good endo. She should definitely do that.

^Yup, this. If she's functional, it's not her thyroid hindering her weight loss. It could be low enough to slow down loss, but if she GAINED weight? She was either eating additional food or she has some undiagnosed endocrine condition or something like that.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    She could have other endocrine issues. She should certainly check in with her doctor.
  • Friederike_Bull
    Friederike_Bull Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was 150 cm tall. During WWII, with rationing, she ballooned to 150 kg. She did not lose any weight even when they were refugees and fled from the Russian army ON FOOT from Poland to the Dutch border, and there was no food to be had. She only lost the weight 25years later when she was finally diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism.

This is just to say, your friend may well be telling the truth. She needs to see a doctor.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Was she eating the regular meals?

I'm just saying...

their meals for breakfast are between
    510-580 calories

Their lunches-
    most are within the 500 calorie range (with the highest being 590 calories)

Their dinners-
    same as lunches within the 500 calorie range (with the highest being 590 calories)

Their snacks-
    almost all within the 200 calorie range with the highest being 500 cals

this doesn't even include any drinks she may have had.

My guess? She was eating way more than she thought she was.