MFP & Jawbone Up

Options
I've just got a jawbone up move to monitor my activity levels and motivate me to move more.
So I've synced it with MFP but have a question.
If I don't move much (under 1000 steps) then it takes calories away from me. I'd originally set MFP as sedentary to get my calorie allowance and then logging any exercise. So surely MFP have calculated my calorie requirement to lose weight when not doing anything so moving 5000 steps should be a bonus not a minus?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    that is a negative adjustment you can disable those under your settings-->diary settings at the bottom.

I use Jawbone as well and have my activity level set to lightly active as my daily movement typically is 7-10k without exercise...I don't get a positive adjustment until after about 9-10k
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So I should turn negative adjustment off?
    And just use positive adjustment when I have active days? And stick to my MFP calorie goal?
    My activity level varies greatly from day to day atm.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mandyw30 wrote: »
    So I should turn negative adjustment off?
    And just use positive adjustment when I have active days? And stick to my MFP calorie goal?
    My activity level varies greatly from day to day atm.

That's what I would do...

MFP set your calories based on sedentary and any extra movement you do you should be able to eat back those calories not lose some for not being as active as Jawbone thinks..

They say negative adjustments are good for when you have been consistent with the activity tracker for a while...I still won't turn mine on.
  • mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh ok,
    That makes sense, I think!!!
    I thought it'd just give me exercise calories the more I move not take away calories, especially when I had it set on Sedentary.
    So should I log the walking/movement I do if it's not going to automatically give it to me?