Eating Too Late After Work

Options
Bandiiit
Bandiiit Posts: 27 Member
I usually eat breakfast around 8:00, lunch around 12:00 and dinner when I get off of work.
I work 3:00-9:00. I get one 10 minute break. I work in a PCI compliant area meaning food can only be consumed in break rooms. I don't like eating so late when I get home and I schedule breakfast and lunch around the time my son needs to eat.

What are some ideas to avoid late night eating while not starving myself and remaining in compliance with work place restrictions?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you really don't have much choice.

Do you really not like eating late or are you concerned that it will impact your weight loss? It doesn't really matter when you eat for weight loss, just your overall calorie intake.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Are you getting super hungry while at work?
    Have a snack when your son is eating and eat your main lunch right before work.
    Is the problem you just don't LIKE waiting that long to eat, or are you worried about eating late?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eat a small meal just before 3 then have a protein shake in your break?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Can you have drinks while you're at work? Maybe you could have a protein shake halfway through your shift?

There's nothing wrong with eating later, because of my schedule I usually end up eating supper between 8 and 9 pm.
  • Bandiiit
    Bandiiit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Do you really not like eating late or are you concerned that it will impact your weight loss? It doesn't really matter when you eat for weight loss, just your overall calorie intake.

My main concern is that I don't like eating that late. It makes it difficult for me to go to sleep. Usually when I eat late I don't get enough sleep which drains my energy so I don't want to work out and it just turns into a big cycle of weight gain.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Make lunch your biggest meal and eat it closer to when you leave for work. That should hold you until your break, where you can grab a handful of nuts or something to get you through your second half, and eat a very light dinner when you get home. Lateness doesn't matter that much for eating, though eating heavy right before bed can cause mild heartburn.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bandiiit wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

My main concern is that I don't like eating that late. It makes it difficult for me to go to sleep. Usually when I eat late I don't get enough sleep which drains my energy so I don't want to work out and it just turns into a big cycle of weight gain.

You would probably be a prime candidate for IF...Google Intermittent Fasting. You take in all of your calories in a certain window of time and spend much of the day fasted.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    Are you getting super hungry while at work?
    Have a snack when your son is eating and eat your main lunch right before work.
    Is the problem you just don't LIKE waiting that long to eat, or are you worried about eating late?
    This is my suggestion. Have your main meal before work so when you get home you can have a small snack that won't interfere with your sleep.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Uh, bring something to eat in the break room?

From a weight loss standpoint, meal timing is meaningless. Eating late at night won't stop you from losing weight. However, I'm pretty sure I'd be a very cranky person if I went 9 hours without eating. I'd eat at work at least once and then again when I got home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bandiiit wrote: »
    I usually eat breakfast around 8:00, lunch around 12:00 and dinner when I get off of work.
    I work 3:00-9:00. I get one 10 minute break. I work in a PCI compliant area meaning food can only be consumed in break rooms. I don't like eating so late when I get home and I schedule breakfast and lunch around the time my son needs to eat.

What are some ideas to avoid late night eating while not starving myself and remaining in compliance with work place restrictions?

I often get home around 9 and eat around 10. I lost 95 lbs doing that.

Edit: ah, I see it's about sleep. I second the suggestion of making lunch the big meal and having a light dinner.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What is the issue with late night eating? Are you saying that you want to eat late at night even though it interferes with sleep?
  • dunlol
    dunlol Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Protein shake during your break, but make it nutrient (and calorie dense) such as protein powder, some nut butter, some cruciferous vegetables, and milk
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Your company is breaking Colorado Labor Laws FYI.
    Employees shall be entitled to an uninterrupted and 'duty free' meal period of at least a thirty minute duration when the scheduled work shift exceeds five consecutive hours of work. The employees must be completely relieved of all duties and permitted to pursue personal activities to qualify as a non-work,uncompensated period of time. When the nature of the business activity or other circumstances exist that makes an uninterrupted meal period impractical, the employee shall be permitted to consume an “on-duty” meal while performing duties. Employees shall be permitted to fully consume a meal of choice “on the job” and be fully compensated for the “on-duty” meal period without any loss of time or compensation.
    https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdle/node/20596

Most states have similar requirements as well.

You've got a six hour shift, they need to give you a 30min break.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You have access to a fridge at work, I would hope? Perhaps making a smoothie (greek yogurt, milk, protein powder, etc) and bringing that to drink during your break would be enough to fill you up so you'd only MAYBE need a snack when you get home. I have trouble sleeping if I eat too much close to bedtime, so I know what that's like!

I would also recommend a little something before you go to work if you find you get really hungry during your shift.

~Lyssa